Hibike, Starbike, no more Sram to Australia!

DeBloot

Feeling old
There are plenty of wide range 11 speed (and even 10 speed) cassette options from Sunrace (cheap) or Garbaruk (light and expensive), just to name a few, that work with standard freehubs. So there's really no need to go to either microspline or SD for most riders.
Don't want to derail the original thread - was going to start my own as my drivetrain wore out
But briefly, problem I've found is that at 42t with a goat link, long derailleur and b screw the size of a roofing bolt :p i'm already maxed out
To go to 11 @ 46t (if possible) still requires new everything (except hub) for not a lot of gears
The moment I put on my 10 speed it seemed we went directly to 11 and now we're at 12.
I don't upgrade much - less now with the increased costs - so want to have maximum range to help with my clapped out legs and lungs

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
want to have maximum range to help with my clapped out legs and lungs
If you can fit a direct mount ring, go smaller on the front, I run a 28t on the front of my Evil, 28:11 still gets moving at nearly 40kph on a brisk cadence, thats fast enough on any trails 99% of the time... and 100% of that, gravity is going your way too.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
If you can fit a direct mount ring, go smaller on the front, I run a 28t on the front of my Evil, 28:11 still gets moving at nearly 40kph on a brisk cadence, thats fast enough on any trails 99% of the time... and 100% of that, gravity is going your way too.
Exactly...If you are regularly maxing out a 28T on a 29er, or a 30T on a 27.5...you need to spend less time on fireroads.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You'll be able to pick up cheap 11spd stuff no worries. Even if you find a cheap 11spd Sram derailleur and shifter, it will work with any 11spd cassette that fits on a standard freehub. All the 11spd derailleurs go to a 46t no worries. Shimano 11spd stuff is awesome. Pretty sure you can pick up brand new SLX for a couple of hundred.

Be sure to check with the manufacturer or a linkage analysis site when changing chainrings as the suspension is usually designed around a certain size (30-32 these days) and going smaller/larger can affect peddling/suspension performance. For example on one end of the spectrum, the new Canyon Lux is designed around a 34t since they figure most people buying an XC race bike will be pushing a bigger chainring.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Exactly...If you are regularly maxing out a 28T on a 29er, or a 30T on a 27.5...you need to spend less time on fireroads.
Sweet Jesus - I didn't consider that - I thought it would be too much of a loss
It's a 32t with a 42t rear and it's 26'' (yes, you read right)
I could keep the 10 speed (which I'd rather) and go down to a 30t and not lose too much?
It's not a fireroad bike but when it is they are steep and long and go upwards

creaky

XMAS Plumper
It's a 32t with a 42t rear and it's 26'' (yes, you read right)
I could keep the 10 speed (which I'd rather) and go down to a 30t and not lose too much?
Changing to a 30t from the 32t would be similar to having a 45T cassette with the current 32t

nathanm

Eats Squid
So where are all these 11sp Shimanos? How do you even build a bike from scratch at the moment?
They're kicking about but overpriced imo. Cost me $100 for a second hand 10spd drivetrain for my current build. You would have to triple that for an 11spd build, with the only benefit really being a 50t granny, if you were lucky.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
They're kicking about but overpriced imo. Cost me $100 for a second hand 10spd drivetrain for my current build. You would have to triple that for an 11spd build, with the only benefit really being a 50t granny, if you were lucky.
So the only way to build a bike from scratch if either through stripping an existing well specced bike, or the second hand market?

nathanm

Eats Squid
So the only way to build a bike from scratch if either through stripping an existing well specced bike, or the second hand market?
Yep.

Near new and new drivetrains are being pulled off bikes and are popping up on the buy sell pages regularly but asking prices are generally between $3-600

Wasn't there something on pinkbike about a micro shift 10spd drivetrain available new at a good price?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Yep.

Near new and new drivetrains are being pulled off bikes and are popping up on the buy sell pages regularly but asking prices are generally between $3-600

Wasn't there something on pinkbike about a micro shift 10spd drivetrain available new at a good price?
Yes there was and it's pretty light too but many saying it's just as cheap as XT components?

ozzybmx

Anyone placed or received a German order lately ?

Hibike, Bike 24, Starbike, Bike-components, Bike-discount, Rose or R-2 Bike ?

The DHL website looks to have relaxed a little bit but now mentions an international crisis surcharge.

I have sent a email to HiBike to ask about this, wouldn't be nice to slugged ~$6 a Kg when it arrived here.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Put in an order with Bike24 and Bike Components recently. Postage had gone up but it was still flat rate. They haven't dispatched yet.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

Put in an order with Bike24 and Bike Components recently. Postage had gone up but it was still flat rate. They haven't dispatched yet.
I'm just getting one ready to go but got a few items that are weighty and cheap like bottles of sealant, will post here what HiBike says in regards to the surcharge.

Estimate my package will be around 10kg, would be shit if I got a call from DHL when the package landed in Oz for an additional $60-$70 surcharge.