BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Looking at the Gripsport tilty rack, what are the pro's and cons of the wheel hoops vs the 'tacos' ? mostly for 29er, 2.4" - 2.6" tyres
I've just been looking into them as well.

From what I could find looks like the tacos help with adjustment. As in, you don't need to adjust them as much to get the right fit.

With a hoop, you're stuck in the one spot, the tyre can sit anywhere along the length of the taco without needing adjustment, you just strap the wheel down with the included strap.

rnovella

Likes Bikes
Anyone out there with a Currie singletrail super bored and able to spare a few minutes please ?? I'm hoping to order one as soon as the end is in sight for iso. I have a van with a low ish mounted hitch receiver and I'm concerned about clearance. Anyone with one of these able to measure your ground to bottom of hitch height and pop a large 27.5/29 bike on and measure bottom of tyre to ground ??

Trying to work out if I should ask for a custom rack height.

Many thanks.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

rnovella

Likes Bikes
Thanks Moorey, that's great.

My hitch only sits 280mm from the ground so the wheel will sit around the same, perhaps a bit lower with a size L bike.

I suspect a bit more clearance is a good idea, what do people think ?

It's a 2wd van so doesn't see anything rougher than a graded dirt road.

moorey

call me Mia
Depends a lot on where your car rear wheels are too. On a dual cab Ute, the rack and hitch are a long way back. A relatively small incline or ditch means the bikes on any standard upright rack are in danger of scraping.

rnovella

Likes Bikes
Depends a lot on where your car rear wheels are too. On a dual cab Ute, the rack and hitch are a long way back. A relatively small incline or ditch means the bikes on any standard upright rack are in danger of scraping.
Good point, would you mind measuring from the back of your hitch to the lowest part of the wheel? I can then go drive over various obstacles and see what it looks like. As you can see, I'm going crazy here looking for anything to distract me

rnovella

Likes Bikes
Hitch to bottom edge of rear wheel, I'm assuming that is roughly in a horizontal line from the hitch as they are the same height from the ground ? That's the bit that will hit the ground first if it bottoms out.

moorey

call me Mia
Hitch to bottom edge of rear wheel, I'm assuming that is roughly in a horizontal line from the hitch as they are the same height from the ground ? That's the bit that will hit the ground first if it bottoms out.

I’m struggling to understand the meaning that of the wheel part...do you mean bike wheel? Oops.

rnovella

Likes Bikes
Yep, the bike wheel. I want to see where it ends up when I'm driving up obstacles.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Anyone out there with a Currie singletrail super bored and able to spare a few minutes please ?? I'm hoping to order one as soon as the end is in sight for iso. I have a van with a low ish mounted hitch receiver and I'm concerned about clearance. Anyone with one of these able to measure your ground to bottom of hitch height and pop a large 27.5/29 bike on and measure bottom of tyre to ground ??

Trying to work out if I should ask for a custom rack height.

Many thanks.

We briefly discussed this a few months back, https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/in...-with-for-your-bike-today.235524/post-3306992
I've got a lowered Transporter van and did some unpleasant things to a carbon framed bike mounted on a Shingleback rack.

rnovella

Likes Bikes
Yes I saw that post thanks, that's what made me look into it closer before putting in an order for a Singletrail rack.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
No problem, for reference the bottom of my hitch sits about 190mm off the deck and I was reversing out of an inclined park across a dish drain. I'd driven into the parking space without any bikes on, then loaded them and reversed out without anyone spotting so it was a bit of a perfect storm.