Bargain buys thread

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Who here has used aliexpress before? Any recommendations on best way to pay, considering they don't seem to accept paypal? I'm a bit reluctant to provide credit card details.

Nambra

Yeah, used them before. credit card is fine.
Just be aware, all that stuff has to come out of China, so pick up a subscription to Delayed Gratification while you're at it.
Cheers @Zaf, I’m cool with the wait. Bought a few bits from China on eBay before and have become good at forgetting about it so that it’s a pleasant surprise when it does show up. “A package! For me? Whatever could it be!”

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure i'd advise buying via Aliexpress right at the moment, i'm still waiting on a (probably dodgy tbh) seatpost I bought two months ago that has been delayed, and have also had another seller contact me through Whatsapp re another order to ask me to cancel it as "they cannot ship to Australia at this time due to current circumstances".

Flow-Rider

Burner
Not sure i'd advise buying via Aliexpress right at the moment, i'm still waiting on a (probably dodgy tbh) seatpost I bought two months ago that has been delayed, and have also had another seller contact me through Whatsapp re another order to ask me to cancel it as "they cannot ship to Australia at this time due to current circumstances".
I was wondering about that because I've heard rumours that Alibarber which is the same as Aliexpress was forced to sell to new owners by the CCP. I had an order lost ages ago and was reimbursed but I keep on getting a strange voice mail from DHL in Chinese.

Nambra

I guess I'll see what happens to my $19 then - if worst case is a refund for now then no big deal.

Minlak

custom titis
Who here has used aliexpress before? Any recommendations on best way to pay, considering they don't seem to accept paypal? I'm a bit reluctant to provide credit card details.
People should get themselves a pre paid visa card or an account with a debit visa not linked to anything else - then you can pay away and the most they get is a dead card.

Nambra

People should get themselves a pre paid visa card or an account with a debit visa not linked to anything else - then you can pay away and the most they get is a dead card.
I have a Bankwest MC with zero fees on OS purchases and currency conversion, so i prefer to use it. I get push messages with every transaction so if something sinister happens I’ll know pretty quick. I can also put a hold on the card through the phone app when I’m not using it too.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
A matchmaker clamp I bought for under $5 with free shipping took about 7 weeks to make it. For little generic bits that you aren't sweating on then it is good option.

Just set your personal expectations. I can't get a coffee here for that princely amount let alone delivery from a long way away.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I guess I'll see what happens to my $19 then - if worst case is a refund for now then no big deal.
I've used them shitloads of times prior to the covid since 2014 with very little problems. Make sure you claim before the 'buyer protection' runs out if it doesn't turn up, no matter how much the vendor begs you to cancel the claim don't do it because once the buyer protection runs out aliexpress will just say bad luck and no refund offered. Always check the maximum delivery times on the orders as they vary from dealer to dealer.

Nambra

I've used them shitloads of times prior to the covid since 2014 with very little problems. Make sure you claim before the 'buyer protection' runs out if it doesn't turn up, no matter how much the vendor begs you to cancel the claim don't do it because once the buyer protection runs out aliexpress will just say bad luck and no refund offered. Always check the maximum delivery times on the orders as they vary from dealer to dealer.
Thanks for the tip - I’ll set myself a reminder for the maximum delivery time. My experiences buying bits and pieces from China via eBay have always been problem free - there is usually little communication with the seller and it takes ages to arrive but always turns up eventually. Guessing aliexpress is similar.

Edit: Just noticed this in the aliexpress web portal:

Looks like they're doing their best to deal with the curent logistics issues and I'll automatically be refunded if the seller can't find a way to ship within 8 days.

Last edited:

peanut

Likes Dirt
From the thread on mtbr & my own personal experience they can be hit & miss if they have bushing play out of the box or it quickly develops (possible batch issue)
Im going to apply for warranty on mine this week from wiggle due to bushing play & another issue thats developed over 8 weeks of intermittent riding. Pity they are a very nice fork when working properly.
it's likely i'll send the new pair to have the bushings burnished & possibly shimmed before i ride it for a permanent fix.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thanks for the tip - I’ll set myself a reminder for the maximum delivery time. My experiences buying bits and pieces from China via eBay have always been problem free - there is usually little communication with the seller and it takes ages to arrive but always turns up eventually. Guessing aliexpress is similar.

Edit: Just noticed this in the aliexpress web portal:
View attachment 363507

Looks like they're doing their best to deal with the curent logistics issues and I'll automatically be refunded if the seller can't find a way to ship within 8 days.
It's not often but the seller can give a fake tracking number or mark the order as sent, then sends the order a few weeks down the track.
Track17 works the best for tracking their orders I've found, unless you've used one of the top tier couriers the tracking barely works once the parcel hits Australia. https://www.17track.net/en

They used to be really strict and always in favour of the buyer but that's slowly changed over the years, I used end with free riding gloves and glasses that I used to giveaway to everyone because they'd send the wrong colour lens or wrong size of gloves or the order would turn up 6 months later.

Click on the icon for the delivery time allowed, the sellers respond pretty quick too so don't be afraid to email them, if the tracking number doesn't work after 10 days. I always check the reviews, if there are a lot of bad ones usually going to get trouble.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Exactly. I've messaged the seller already who seems to be legit and helpful, now desperately looking for reasons not to purchase.