The stupid questions thread.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Qantas and Virgin have suddenly reappeared in my inbox, spamming me multi times a day about how great the rewards are...

I thought those arseholes at virgin went out of business? What is going on?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
FlyBuys and all that type of "rewards" bullshit that the majority of people never claim from are basically what keeps Qantas profitable. I imagine Virgin would be similar and in a much more desperate position.

The sad reality is they're effectively a hidden tax we almost all pay on groceries and fuel that help prop up the avaition sector, whether you "buy-in" or not.

Petero

Likes Dirt
Question, that may or may not be stupid..
Background: Replaced forks and greased/reassembled headset (syncros unsealed bearing type).. the compression ring doesn't go in too far to preload the bearings, and the fit is very iffy (i.e 1mm gap between headset cover and cup in headtube, almost feeling like there remains some play within headset.. although that may be psychosomatic based on seeing a gap - the star nut and bolt are done up pretty tight too.. Anyway...

Ordered new headset with sealed bearings to hope it fits better.. Do I need to replace the headset cups?

moorey

call me Mia
Background: Replaced forks and greased/reassembled headset (syncros unsealed bearing type).. the compression ring doesn't go in too far to preload the bearings, and the fit is very iffy (i.e 1mm gap between headset cover and cup in headtube, almost feeling like there remains some play within headset.. although that may be psychosomatic based on seeing a gap - the star nut and bolt are done up pretty tight too.. Anyway...

Ordered new headset with sealed bearings to hope it fits better.. Do I need to replace the headset cups?
I’d say yes. In unsealed, the cup is also the bearing race. In sealed, the bearing sits on the race...if you know what I mean?

Flow-Rider

Burner

Did you put one or more of the bearing cages in upside down on your first headset ? and yes to your question.

Petero

Likes Dirt
I’d say yes. In unsealed, the cup is also the bearing race. In sealed, the bearing sits on the race...if you know what I mean?
Yup, noted that, seems like a really poor design imo..

The last post here pretty much sums it up with pics. https://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-c...headset-assembly-scott-scale-40-a-889236.html

Did you put one or more of the bearing cages in upside down on your first headset ? and yes to your question.
Nope, can only really go in one way that makes sense.. and back in the way it came out...