Manned Space X launch

stirk

Burner
What's so special about this launch when people have been flying into space for decades?

The way the SpaceX rocket boosters land again is by far the most impressive thing I've seen recently for rocket technology.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Bumped until Saturday, scrubbed because of weather.

This is signifiant for a whole bunch of reasons. First american launch since the Shuttle was retired, first manned launch of Space X and its launch system. First manned launch of a private sector launch system.

Not just another manner launch. But yes, reverse parking the boosters back on the pad is incredibly cool.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Looking forward to Saturday, although there's apparently a 40% chance of shitty weather again. And all manned rocket launches are cool - anyone that's got balls (or ovaries) enough to strap themselves in on top of a bomb and get blasted into orbit has my respect!

We were lucky enough to have the "NASA - A Human Adventure" exhibition at the QLD Museum last year - a history of space flight from the 1950's through to the end of the shuttle program, including the space race with the Soviet Union. Heaps and heaps of old gear, flight suits, full scale replicas of the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo capsules, and a mock-up of a Space Shuttle flight deck. The Mercury and Gemini capsules were nothing more than aluminium cans and even the shuttle control consoles looked more like the Chernobyl control room than the flight deck of the Enterprise. I could have geeked out for hours at the exhibition, but the wife and kids didn't share my enthusiasm. :(

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Looking forward to Saturday, although there's apparently a 40% chance of shitty weather again. And all manned rocket launches are cool - anyone that's got balls (or ovaries) enough to strap themselves in on top of a bomb and get blasted into orbit has my respect!

We were lucky enough to have the "NASA - A Human Adventure" exhibition at the QLD Museum last year - a history of space flight from the 1950's through to the end of the shuttle program, including the space race with the Soviet Union. Heaps and heaps of old gear, flight suits, full scale replicas of the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo capsules, and a mock-up of a Space Shuttle flight deck. The Mercury and Gemini capsules were nothing more than aluminium cans and even the shuttle control consoles looked more like the Chernobyl control room than the flight deck of the Enterprise. I could have geeked out for hours at the exhibition, but the wife and kids didn't share my enthusiasm. :(
I've seen some real Mercury capsules in Florida that you can get right up to and peer in the windows - they look like something someone knocked up in the back shed! Rivets and screws and exposed wiring and something you'd have to be very brave/stupid to strap yourself into!!

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I've seen some real Mercury capsules in Florida that you can get right up to and peer in the windows - they look like something someone knocked up in the back shed! Rivets and screws and exposed wiring and something you'd have to be very brave/stupid to strap yourself into!!
Yeah these replicas looked pretty authentic - more or less as you've described. Couldn't imagine sitting in one of those pulling 7 g's!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Very cool.

Bit surreal watching American technological excellence whilst reading about trump and floyd... A nation of extremes :(

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Fucking amazing, just fucking amazing!
after all the rocket launches and shuttle launches I witnessed as a young fella while doing my apprenticeship at CDSCC, and wondering what happens to all that shit discarded in space, watching Stage1 land back down on BoatyMcBoatface or what ever it's called sent chills all over my body and gave me a little tear to the eye of the future of space exploration..Well done SpaceX :D:D:D

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Fucking amazing, just fucking amazing!
after all the rocket launches and shuttle launches I witnessed as a young fella while doing my apprenticeship at CDSCC, and wondering what happens to all that shit discarded in space, watching Stage1 land back down on BoatyMcBoatface or what ever it's called sent chills all over my body and gave me a little tear to the eye of the future of space exploration..Well done SpaceX :D:D:D
Next trip to the US will need to involve a trip to KSC to watch these suckers land :)