Collarbones

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I was perusing a thread off here from a few years back about breaking collarbones. I understand there's not much in the way of protection you can really get, but does anyone think this may help a little by protecting the shoulders and dispersing some force if you crashed on your shoulder? Thinking for my wife who's planning on an Enduro in August... I don't want anything too bulky or hot...

https://www.pushys.com.au/leatt-shoulder-tee-3df-airfit-lite.html

DMan

Couldn't hurt, but looks like it would only offer limited protection to a direct shoulder impact.

Worst-case scenario it doesn't help but she still looks super buff.

Do you think this would be a step too far for her:

View attachment 363991
https://www.pushys.com.au/leatt-body-protector-5-5-black.html
I did look at fuller armour but I think it would be too much. She already has elbow protection and rides with a backpack. I thought of this, but I thought it might be uncomfortable with a backpack. She'd look intimidating though....

moorey

call me Mia
Not knowing your weather, anything warm wearing that all day while pedalling up enduro tracks is my personal idea of hell. I’ve seen some wear more padding. @Boom King? I’d die of overheating by the first liaison.

DMan

Not knowing your weather, anything warm wearing that all day while pedalling up enduro tracks is my personal idea of hell. I’ve seen some wear more padding. @Boom King? I’d die of overheating by the first liaison.
Yep, for sure. Something I'm very aware off. Hence I was looking at the shoulder T. Luckily the first Enduro is in August, so should be quite cool still.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah, you'll cook in that in no time with QLD weather. It might be handy with an e-bike or just sessonning a jump but doing a good climb in that gear will be hell. A lot of people like to do a judo roll when they come off the bike but I'm not a big fan of that either as I would rather do my shoulder than end up rolling onto rocks with my spinal cord.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Not trying to be smart here, but having broken a collarbone before I doubt it helps for anything other than peace of mind.
It takes quite a big and specific impact to break one
Indeed. I started racing DH in the days of full Dianese amour. Stopped the scrapes and gouges, but not the collar bones. Anything capable of preventing a clavicle break would be impossible to ride properly in. Have broken mine as well, on the bike. Was indeed a hell of a blow required to do it in my case.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I’ve got something very similar. Used to wear it all year round but got sick of dying of heat stroke so only wear it on shuttle days etc now.
In saying that it’s taken some good impacts to the shoulders and ribs.
no idea whatsoever what damage I would have received without it but feel it saved me a lot more pain.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I wear one of these when the going gets steep. I find it manageable, even in hot weather. Have hit trees chest on at speed, many shoulder impacts and OTB back slams without any real injuries.

Sent from my SM-G960N using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've broken both of mine (in seperate accidents) as well. It's a shit injury! Also torn both AC joints. I think these sort of protective items would have helped me with one of the breaks, I rammed my shoulder into a square pole at low speed. But that was not while trail riding. I have considered getting something like this a few times and never gotten around to it.

One of my mates had a sizeable crash in front of me a while back (rock drop into rocks and berm on very steep angle). He shouldered into the rocks and probably would have busted his shoulder had he not been wearing an old style hard plastic pressure suit. He doesn't wear one anymore though.

Have you considered going into a moto shop and trying on some of these things to see if they are comfy for her?

DMan

I've broken both of mine (in seperate accidents) as well. It's a shit injury! Also torn both AC joints. I think these sort of protective items would have helped me with one of the breaks, I rammed my shoulder into a square pole at low speed. But that was not while trail riding. I have considered getting something like this a few times and never gotten around to it.

One of my mates had a sizeable crash in front of me a while back (rock drop into rocks and berm on very steep angle). He shouldered into the rocks and probably would have busted his shoulder had he not been wearing an old style hard plastic pressure suit. He doesn't wear one anymore though.

Have you considered going into a moto shop and trying on some of these things to see if they are comfy for her?
I hear what everyone is saying and it probably doesn't offer a lot of protection for the negatives- Hot and constrictive. For 90% of what she does she doesn't need anything. Was thinking of a little bit of the "piece of mind" factor too I guess

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I hear what everyone is saying and it probably doesn't offer a lot of protection for the negatives- Hot and constrictive. For 90% of what she does she doesn't need anything. Was thinking of a little bit of the "piece of mind" factor too I guess
I understand.

Attachments

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The other thing I always try to do is ride with the same gear as I would every other day.
She's comfortable enough to consider an Enduro event, which means she's probably comfortable enough with what that will entail.+

The nervous parent/partner role is a whole other story though ;)

DMan

The other thing I always try to do is ride with the same gear as I would every other day.
She's comfortable enough to consider an Enduro event, which means she's probably comfortable enough with what that will entail.+

The nervous parent/partner role is a whole other story though ;)
She's not phased. She's far more hardcore than me. I thinking of myself as I'm really bad at brushing hair and doing ponytails so it's within my interests to protect her collarbone...

moorey

call me Mia
She's not phased. She's far more hardcore than me. I thinking of myself as I'm really bad at brushing hair and doing ponytails so it's within my interests to protect her collarbone...
Wait....you said you had no hair.

Sounds similar to my daughter. First year of DH just done, I was really scared she'd be overwhelmed, but was regularly hitting lines that I had to have a good hard think about. :oops:

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
A possibly more important consideration, a lot of my female riding friends really struggle to get a comfortable fit around the bust with any kind of chest protection so don't put a lot of weight in our opinions, best bet is to talk with some of the other female competitors at the gravity events.

moorey

call me Mia
A possibly more important consideration, a lot of my female riding friends really struggle to get a comfortable fit around the bust with any kind of chest protection so don't put a lot of weight in our opinions, best bet is to talk with some of the other female competitors at the gravity events.
Have you seen our moobs? Sorry, bitch titties...?

Also, valid point.