Paparoa Track - NZ

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Yeah, that's awesome. Wish we could build that in Tassie, just so much more red tape here.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Echoing some of the comments on Pinkbike, the blowing up of things and cutting of trees doesn’t seem too environmentally friendly at all. Wonder how it will hold up in the wet given the hardship they had in building in it. Still looks like an epic trail.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Yeah look, that looked like a bunch of hillbillies with a big budget just fucking up the forest. Explosives? Chainsawing trees three feet round? Having your oily excavator wash away and it’s diesel run down a watercourse? Was thing built by cons? I love that they mention the native wildlife at the start then proceed to make a big fucking mess of the place. The irony......
I’ve built some trails in my time and helped on big projects but nothing I’ve seen requires that much effort, certainly not to the point of blowing shit up to make a green grade bike track. Shame on them.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Yeah look, that looked like a bunch of hillbillies with a big budget just fucking up the forest. Explosives? Chainsawing trees three feet round? Having your oily excavator wash away and it’s diesel run down a watercourse? Was thing built by cons? I love that they mention the native wildlife at the start then proceed to make a big fucking mess of the place. The irony......
I’ve built some trails in my time and helped on big projects but nothing I’ve seen requires that much effort, certainly not to the point of blowing shit up to make a green grade bike track. Shame on them.
What else are you going to do with $12M except buy a metric shit tonne of det cord?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I don't know diddly about constructing anything, but I do know that the best way to protect natural wilderness areas is to build public support for them. If that trail attracts a bunch of mountain bikers who in turn throw money at a local community then its probably doing a lot more then a bunch of angsty greenies.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Welcome to the NZ high country....
Being from there, and knowing the area, explosives were required. Sitting there with a rock hammer tapping away does fuck all
Also, note the average rainfall is 7m per year and up to 500mm can fall in a single event so an unsecured excavator being washed off track is not a surprise.
I think you have been overly harsh, given the works will have been through the RMA process which puts what occurs in Aussie for environmental approvals to shame

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
that's how they build trails in Kosciusko too, I was working up there when they did some extensions to one of the large facility buildings, can remember quite well of the stone masons blowing the shit out of the local granite to use in the construction of several large buildings.
gone are the days of look but don't touch, now its rape and pillage but put back in some of the profits to appease the gods!

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well if we are going to get upset about blowing things up, we better not buy anything made of steel (won't have much bike left) or most other metals, that's all rock removed and unfortuantely recently included an archelogical site in WA. This was rock relocated, ultimately rock moves all the time, water gets in cracks and expands as it freezes cracking and moving the rocks, it melts and explodes all over the place naturally. The guys building the trail no doubt captured the blowing things up as it was a lot more exciting to look at than a guy on a mattock. We react to emotive imagery but as bear states and as the guys mentioned in the video it jumped through a lot of environmental hoops.

I'm not in favour of environmental vandalism but to me this wasn't it.