The QUICK question thread.....

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
They only measure off the main chamber though don't they? There's no second line attached to the negative spring (or way to attach it on most forks...). Coil or air negative spring shouldn't matter if the CR can be found.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If I boil water I get steam. A lovely fresh light grey white plume of steam.

But what if I wanted to have green or red steam? If I added green or red food dye to the water, would this change the colour of the steam?

Yes I am operating at a very low level of science. Maybe I should have paid more attention at school.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt

But what if I wanted to have green or red steam? If I added green or red food dye to the water, would this change the colour of the steam?

Yes I am operating at a very low level of science. Maybe I should have paid more attention at school.
My first instinct is to say 'no' because the dye would have a different boiling point.

Also, school? Nobody needs that! We have the internet now...

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale

You should do the experiment and get back to us.

Or just go with Cardy's idea.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
My first instinct is to say 'no' because the dye would have a different boiling point.

Also, school? Nobody needs that! We have the internet now...
^^^^^ this.

Boil green or red paint instead. Gopro livestream experiment, so we know where to collect the body.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
You might get a hint of colour but it depends on a lot of factors like boiling point and density of the colouring, atmospheric pressure or height above sea level, which socks you are wearing etc. Steam from a kettle is saturated or wet steam meaning the steam contains water droplets. You may get enough carry over to colour the steam a little. It certainly wont be as full of colour as the water you are boiling. Spraying atomised coloured water or colouring into the steam will work, set up an airbrush to spray into the steam as it rises from the nozzle. If you use paint instead of colouring you can get some semi permanent effects, especially if Agnes sticks her head in the steam.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How loose should fork bushings be, if at all? New 2020 SID has noticeable knocking and play between the lowers/CSU.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
How much sag is the neg coil inducing when you cut pos pressure?
Not sure I understand. Do you mean, how far does the fork sag when I remove air from positive chamber? I would have to check. It's attached to the bike (so has that weight on it) and I would say it drops all but 50-60mm when air removed (from 160mm)

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't

But what if I wanted to have green or red steam? If I added green or red food dye to the water, would this change the colour of the steam?.
in theory possibly at most food colouring is 98% water anyway it steams at roughly the same point- there is less colour then in the liquid state as dye molecules have diff oil point so is less behind, other problem u have is however upon conversion from liquid to gaseous state the colour molecules would be so widespread, eg 1000 times further apart they will not reflect enough light for your view the steam as coloured.

yuley95

They only measure off the main chamber though don't they? There's no second line attached to the negative spring (or way to attach it on most forks...). Coil or air negative spring shouldn't matter if the CR can be found.
This is my understanding. It needs to know what the change in pressure is from fully compresses to fully extended so it can get the compression ratio. Then you set the base pressure and go. From there is knows the amount of travel based on pressure changes. Shouldn't matter whether the negative is coil or air.

But for all that to work, I need to be able to have a small (and stable) amount of air in the fork and achieve (and hold) full compression and full extension. This is what's causing me problems at the moment.

yuley95

How loose should fork bushings be, if at all? New 2020 SID has noticeable knocking and play between the lowers/CSU.
That sounds very wrong. Bushings need to fit snug and guide the stanchion. Whenever I have removed or fitted fork lowers, there has always been a noticeable feeling when the lower and upper bushing slide off or onto the stanchion.

Surely any play will result in wear.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Steam will boil off clear as pure water vapour. Science, bitch. Probably.
you mean liquid water will boil off clear as pure water vapour, commonly referred to as steam, short for wet steam, as pure steam is invisible..as is water vapour in most circumstances

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
you mean liquid water will boil off clear as pure water vapour, commonly referred to as steam, short for wet steam, as pure steam is invisible..as is water vapour in most circumstances
It is a fact that the superheated steam that runs steam turbines in a power station cannot be seen. It is surrounded by a fucking big pipe. If you do however see steam you should tell somebody.