$2.5 million for Tassie West Coast trails and maybe Maydena?

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think there’s a wide variety in Tasmania. The Hobart trails are different to the Meehan trails which are different to Maydena. Derby and St Helens are similar as both are built by World Trail and are nearby each other. But you can’t say that Wild Mersey, Kate Reed, Trevallyn, Kelcey Tiers, Penguin and the Dial Range are all the same‍.
Yes sorry tongue firmly in cheek there ;)

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Whoever does the lobbying for federal funds in Tassie deserves a medal, I don't believe WA has receievd any federal funds for MTB, fortunately state gov has tipped a decent amount in lately. Tassie seems to get Fed funds every couple of weeks... well maybe that's a slight exaggeration.

More trails is good!
I suppose we are lucky that the state government and a lot of councils have woken up to the fact that mountain biking is good for the community and for Tourism (whenever that gets going again)

Stredda

There has been years of lobbying and working with land managers to get where we are today.
I’ve been working with Latrobe and Kentish councils since 2013 for the Wild Mersey trails. The Cradle Coast Mountain Bike Club have been pushing to build in the Dial Range since 2009, Derby took 6 years before construction started in 2014.
We might even get a good little trail network around Burnie if all goes well. The council there is keen on a Pumptrack/skills park and urban trail with the possibility of proper trails moving forward.
A great time to be a mountain biker, especially in Tassie.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Tassie trails are crap. Derby was soooooo boring.
That's what I keep trying to tell you mainlanders. Don't come here, it's not worth it.

Plus if you stay away I can actually get a camping spot next to the trailhead again instead of having to stay 30km away because you selfish big islanders spread all your shit out everywhere like you've spend thousands to come here.

Stredda

That's what I keep trying to tell you mainlanders. Don't come here, it's not worth it.

Plus if you stay away I can actually get a camping spot next to the trailhead again instead of having to stay 30km away because you selfish big islanders spread all your shit out everywhere like you've spend thousands to come here.
Yeah, I'm quite happy having the trails all to ourselves. :p

dirtart

Likes Bikes
$2.5m in federal funding is now confirmed for the West Coast- this is for the construction of Mt Owen trails (Queenstown), which we designed as a 35km trail network with a big mountain style. The design documents are publicly available via West Coast Council. This funding also covers design of trails in the Heemskirk Ranges outside of Zeehan. We are starting this trail network design now. The construction of Mt Owen is yet to be awarded, but we’d expect a start of works in spring and completion early 2021 all being well.

Maydena Bike Park has commenced a major capital works program. The details of this will be revealed late next week. The investment level is similar to that of the West Coast, which is all privately funded.

In terms of Nationals, all we can say is that an announcement is due Wednesday next week. Hypothetically, if Maydena we’re hosting it would be on brand new XCO and DH courses.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've heard visitors to the state using the term "mountain bike state of Australia" and honestly it fits more & more with all the options available now & being constructed.

Additional funding for the West Cost will go a long way to improving the attractiveness of travelling there to ride - as good as Oonah is it just isn't really enough incentive to travel there and stay, so the additional variety & skill level should help immensely.

Trail networks in every corner of the state. We're just a little spoiled.

Scotty675

Cable thief
We are definitely spoilt. The Georgetown trails are still penciled in to open October next year but will see on that one.

Stredda

I've heard visitors to the state using the term "mountain bike state of Australia" and honestly it fits more & more with all the options available now & being constructed.

rail networks in every corner of the state. We're just a little spoiled.
I've been working with some tourism Tasmania contacts to see if a "Mountain Bike State" type campaign can be launched to promote the state as a whole, as an epic mountain bike destination, not just one place like Derby. Once George Town kicks off and this West Coast project opens the will be 8 major (and several minor) trail centers that are no more than 4hrs drive from each other.

Last edited:

herbman

Likes Dirt
Derby and St Helens are similar as both are built by World Trai
World trail have a style, and where ever they build will be similar.
The soil and rock maybe different but the roller/berm set up is the same from Atherton in FNQ to Derby and St Helen's in TAS. And more than likely they will be similar in the Georgetown trails that they will be building in the next 12 months or so.
Most trail builders have there "style" and one of the great things in TAS has been the number of different trails that been built by different build teams, it has given TAS a good variety of trails so far.