Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Wife bought me an entry level Bodum bench top burr grinder for my birthday.

Seems to be a good unit for the price.
Consistent grind size across a few different bean styles so far and the hopper system is cleaner than the doser style that I'd been looking at.
Grind adjustment is easy and I've found a good size for my consumer level Breville BES840.

I'll never go back to pre ground again!

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Researching single dose grinders and YouTube recommended this...spritzing beans, controlling speed, special light blocking jars, so much coffee science....shudder to think of the cost!

andrew9

Likes Dirt
I've been eyeing off the 270wi, only grinder I've found that weights each dose into the filter, should make life easy. Expensive though

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Researching single dose grinders and YouTube recommended this...spritzing beans, controlling speed, special light blocking jars, so much coffee science....shudder to think of the cost!

Lifes too short for single dosing.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I've been eyeing off the 270wi, only grinder I've found that weights each dose into the filter, should make life easy. Expensive though

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Looking into these and reliability is an issue but surprised more grinders don’t dose on weight most do it via time.

Ha, Oddjob’s home cafe? Like the look of the Niche grinder but $1200..oof!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Wife bought me an entry level Bodum bench top burr grinder for my birthday.

Seems to be a good unit for the price.
Consistent grind size across a few different bean styles so far and the hopper system is cleaner than the doser style that I'd been looking at.
Grind adjustment is easy and I've found a good size for my consumer level Breville BES840.

I'll never go back to pre ground again!

I've had one of these for many years. They are good but the soft touch finish goes icky eventually.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
...and the time arrived! I filtered the project off this morning before work. It was delicious. I will do this again but try a few different tweaks, such as ratio of coffee to chips and duration of infusion.

Longer version:
The whole hasn't turned out as I was expecting. Don't get me wrong I am happy with the outcome it is just different. The aroma and flavour seem to be less complex that the cold brew was before the infusion. But in saying that they are now more pronounced.

Aromaticaly it starts off with a nice red cherry and slight rum. After it has sat for a few minutes that develops into a chocolate and rum aroma. This then gives way to a grain/malt (there was a little hint of aroma similar to the Jameson stout cask in there) cocoa/chocolate, with a growing rum presence. Eventually a hint of toffee emerged. I wasn't patient enough to leave it past that and drank the last of it.

Flavour wise; in the early stages it was a singular dark chocolate flavour. Dry high cacao % type chocolate. But after letting it rest this gave way to rum + coffee with mild acidity and a very gentle vanilla hint on the finish. That didn't really change much over the duration, about 20 minutes. The rum and vanilla grew a tiny bit stronger.

In all the coffee was really enjoyable, but it needs some tweaking to make it worthwhile. I really like the way my cold brew tastes in standard form. I'm currently drinking about 500ml a day. This was definitely delicious and fun but...not that much more delicious that I'd want to be doing it all the time. The gear I had in Japan was the sort of trip dreams are made of. My quest continues.

View attachment 362456
Well I opened up round 2 today...it was much better than round one, but still not the holy grail. Chocolate, cocoa, sour cherry, caramel, gentle finish. I think I need to ready burry it down deep and leave it for a long time.

ausdb

Being who he is

I sort of single dose these days, I've got pretty good at eyeballing 4 shots worth of beans into the hopper of one of these
Baratza Forte
And grind by weight into the hopper a shot at a time. I started with the porta filter holder using the weight time conversion but found I got better distribution by emptying the hopper full into the portafilter with a small dosing funnel. Most times there's not much left in the hopper after making the morning coffees, Grind by weight FTW

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
How often do you folks clean you home rig. with WFH the machine has taken quite the beating. Struggled to pull a shot on a coarse grind this morning and I bit the bullet and gave it a clean on my lunchbreak. Works a charm and one of those, why didn't I think of that before moments. That marks a clean every 2 months.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Suppose it depends on the machine.
Mine tells me when it's due for a flush and descale. (Which is much more often WFH, once a month)

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Give it a clean water backflush every day once coffee time is over. Chemical probably once a month including cleaning shower screen. Grinder gets a vacuum stuffed in it every couple of weeks when I'm cleaning the kitchen and burrs pulled and cleaned every couple of months. We're putting maybe 400g through it a week.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
How often do you folks clean you home rig. with WFH the machine has taken quite the beating. Struggled to pull a shot on a coarse grind this morning and I bit the bullet and gave it a clean on my lunchbreak. Works a charm and one of those, why didn't I think of that before moments. That marks a clean every 2 months.
How did you clean it?

I run about 500ml of undiluted white vinegar through mine every couple of months. I'm not very disciplined about it as my use at home is fairly irregular. I like to run my foot brush over the screen and seals a every so often as well. I'm real lazy about.

Give it a clean water backflush every day once coffee time is over. Chemical probably once a month including cleaning shower screen. Grinder gets a vacuum stuffed in it every couple of weeks when I'm cleaning the kitchen and burrs pulled and cleaned every couple of months. We're putting maybe 400g through it a week.
Look at you go! I hadn't considered that vacuum trick. I used to work in a spot where we pumped the grinder out with a funky toilet plunger.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Look at you go! I hadn't considered that vacuum trick. I used to work in a spot where we pumped the grinder out with a funky toilet plunger.
Old habits. Used to strip/clean shower screens and burrs for two grinders daily in the cafe, got pretty quick at it!

Should say I'm much more regular since we've been working from home for six months and therefore making way more coffee than we would otherwise.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Old habits. Used to strip/clean shower screens and burrs for two grinders daily in the cafe, got pretty quick at it!

Should say I'm much more regular since we've been working from home for six months and therefore making way more coffee than we would otherwise.

I do love a good daily clean on the work machine. Current one doesn't have an auto clean function, which I really miss. I also hate opening and seeing the machine hasn't been cleaned at the end of the previous shift.

Currently living on supermarket cold brew until I get supplies in to make my own. The Hunt and Brew offerings are bad for mass produced coffees.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
How did you clean it?
50/50 vinegar through the system. Then the tablet thingy on the head.

The vinegar thing I rekon is minimal result doing it once, seems like you have to do it over and over to get results, such is the way dissolving calcification works. The head cleaner did the brunt of the de-clogging. Turns out I may be overfilling the basket.

Any issues underfilling a double basket and running it like that?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
50/50 vinegar through the system. Then the tablet thingy on the head.

The vinegar thing I rekon is minimal result doing it once, seems like you have to do it over and over to get results, such is the way dissolving calcification works. The head cleaner did the brunt of the de-clogging. Turns out I may be overfilling the basket.

Any issues underfilling a double basket and running it like that?
Are you getting a screen print on your puck? That's a usual sign.

Under dosing the basket will allow the grinds to expand too much, so your puck will loose pressure and run way too fast. You'll end up with a flat metalic extraction that tastes like shit.

Back flushing is as much about the pressure/vacuum formed sucking shit out as it is washing the bits with detergent. It is good to get the head cleaned out. You can do a back flush with just water every now and then at to keep the screens etc cleaner. I try and do that pretty regular at work. It's another way an auto cleaning machine is handy, especially when you are getting reemed. Hook up the blind filter and run an auto cycle while continuing to pour coffee from the other 2 heads.

with the vinegar I run it through a few times. I also leave it in the machine for a while to works it's magic. Lots of chunks come out.