Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Are you getting a screen print on your puck? That's a usual sign.
Yeah sometimes. I tried using the razor and was a bit surprised that it took out so much grind.

Under dosing the basket will allow the grinds to expand too much, so your puck will loose pressure and run way too fast. You'll end up with a flat metalic extraction that tastes like shit.
Yep that's my concern, it just creates gaps and water passes straight through.

I might dial he grind back to the original fine setting and use the razor thing to make sure it's dosed correctly.

Might do the vinegar a bit more often it seems to have cleared the frother a bit as well.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
RE: vinegar, just buy powdered citric acid and use that. Same reaction as vinegar but without the residual sugars and you can bump the concentration easily without risking residual aroma/taste. Dose up the tank, run 5-600mL through depending on your boiler size, turn off and let it sit for a couple of hours. Flush the rest of the tank through then flush/rinse with fresh water a couple of times.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Single boiler machine and commercial autodoser for the win. Grinder and machine get a wet cloth clean and chemical backwash after every kilo of beans. This works out to once a month. Takes 10 mins total.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I thought about this, but the thought of seals and that eatien away did cross my mind. This is not DOT fluid though :p
Yeah, what machine are you using? I think over extended exposure sure you’d probably get some rubber degradation but it’s not something you should need to be doing very often (full descale) so... depends on your appetite for risk/willingness to maybe have to replace some rubber gaskets at some point some years in the future.

Tbh if your water is that hard that you’re getting severe and rapid scale buildup you should be brewing with bottled water anyway.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Just entry level Breville. It wasn't hard water, just the head had a lot of gunk in it lol.
Ahah fair, maybe try getting a grouphead brush and just give it a little scrub each time you use it to get as much of the residual grounds/oil off as you can and see if it helps to slow the buildup of shit.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Yeah thanks, defo was overfilling the basket a fair bit as I got the grinder settled. Should be a lot better now.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
The machine was leaking around the seal a bit so I cut out a shim from an aluminium can to slip between the basket and portafilter while I source a new seal. Sometimes my hacks work, sometimes they don't but his one was a goody.

ausdb

Being who he is
The machine was leaking around the seal a bit so I cut out a shim from an aluminium can to slip between the basket and portafilter while I source a new seal. Sometimes my hacks work, sometimes they don't but his one was a goody.
That's standard practice with commercial machines to accommodate for wear of the group head collar, but you can actually get proper gasket material shims for most brands. Whats your machine? If it's a Sunbeam EM6*** or similar then your probably overdosing a little. The last one I had ended up with a bit of the lid of a takeaway container by the time I got sick of fixing it.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The Ceado E37Z is only $5500 usd.

For what you get, the engineering and machining time to make something so beautiful, that’s not a completely silly price. Bet it’s still a universal motor and not brushless though

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
The Ceado E37Z is only $5500 usd.

For what you get, the engineering and machining time to make something so beautiful, that’s not a completely silly price. Bet it’s still a universal motor and not brushless though
$9000RRP locally, on sale for $7699, no stock currently. Think I would rather a new bike.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
How do you folks even have enough money to buy bicycles?

Anyway need some side advice. My frother has gone nuts. It's pressure is stupidly high such thatit makes a complete mess of milk, no longer silky, just huge bubbles and coarse texture. Is this a due for a clean thing? I just ran vinegar through it a few weeks ago?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
How do you folks even have enough money to buy bicycles?

Anyway need some side advice. My frother has gone nuts. It's pressure is stupidly high such thatit makes a complete mess of milk, no longer silky, just huge bubbles and coarse texture. Is this a due for a clean thing? I just ran vinegar through it a few weeks ago?
Do you mean the steam wand on your espresso machine? Or some sort of milk frothing device?

If on machine it may just be blowing super hard now it is clean inside. Or maybe there is a partial obstruction in the pipe that concentrates the steam making it come out more abruptly. Have you tried putting the tip of the wand in different angles and depths f the milk at the beginning of operations ? Get the jug on a nice angle too as this gives more surface area to the milk.

No idea about the froth machines.

Have you changed milk? Different % of ingredients sometimes added/removed from/to milk can make it respond differently