What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
When did SRAM become synonymous with shitty shifting? Until the geoblock, when their stuff was X this and X that, I always ran SRAM over Shimano. What happened?

i do have SRAM on my slope style bike and I is great.
Manufacturers seem to have their highs and lows for their shiny new stuff.

Sram, shimano, fox, etc all have their day in the sun and our job is to pick the best stuff on the market at the time.

Shimano 7 and 8 worked well, Sram 9 speed was super, Shimano 10 and 11 is safe bet, Eagle NX and GX look to be outdone by Shimano 11 and 12.

Fox's open bath period worked well but drop their ctd period for Rock Shox.

Spd pedals rarely die.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I reckon Sram X0 10 speed was the best group ever, my boys have them on their XC race bikes and even they comment on it. Still got three X0 10 shifting set ups running here.
Ive got a sram xx1 11speed setup on what is now my footpath bike, but have got 6 years of faultless shifting on it. Even after a few knocks to the derailleur, one that put it well and truly into the spokes.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Got in a quick lap at Stromlo since more rain on way rest of week. Never seen it so wet and rutted out from traffic. Fell into a mud filled hole on the climb, and there was a pretty sloppy patch on western wedgie that was interesting to hit at speed. Little creeks everywhere..

Feel a little bit bad riding on the trails like that, but its not like the other places that are smaller and volunteer built...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ive got a sram xx1 11speed setup on what is now my footpath bike, but have got 6 years of faultless shifting on it. Even after a few knocks to the derailleur, one that put it well and truly into the spokes.
MY 2015 XC race bike has that group, its also an awesome bomb proof group, its an oldish bike with todays standards but im now carrying 15kg too much and was never that fast back then anyway... a good shit and some training will make up the difference to a 2020 $20,000 S-Works epic.

I put offset bushes on it, a dropper and 800mm bars, considering a new 120mm SID ultimate (in blue) to slacken it a bit more and make it feel less XC racey and more endurance.

The new SIDs come in 51mm offset, so its a straight swap with G2 forks.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Got in a quick lap at Stromlo since more rain on way rest of week. Never seen it so wet and rutted out from traffic. Fell into a mud filled hole on the climb, and there was a pretty sloppy patch on western wedgie that was interesting to hit at speed. Little creeks everywhere..

Feel a little bit bad riding on the trails like that, but its not like the other places that are smaller and volunteer built...
We're going tomorrow arvo, hopefully it doesn't rain again beforehand.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
When did SRAM become synonymous with shitty shifting? Until the geoblock, when their stuff was X this and X that, I always ran SRAM over Shimano. What happened?

i do have SRAM on my slope style bike and I is great.
When they got greedy and cheaped out on the lower end 12 speed rear mechs.... All 11 speed was awesome (I had x01 11sp and it was wonderful), but 12 speed has manufacturing quality issues...

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
MY 2015 XC race bike has that group, its also an awesome bomb proof group, its an oldish bike with todays standards but im now carrying 15kg too much and was never that fast back then anyway... a good shit and some training will make up the difference to a 2020 $20,000 S-Works epic.

I put offset bushes on it, a dropper and 800mm bars, considering a new 120mm SID ultimate (in blue) to slacken it a bit more and make it feel less XC racey and more endurance.

The new SIDs come in 51mm offset, so its a straight swap with G2 forks.
the fox can;t take a 120mm air spring? i know the newer ones can’t (a mate got caught with the new step cast, bought to lengthen , then couldn’t)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
the fox can;t take a 120mm air spring? i know the newer ones can’t (a mate got caught with the new step cast, bought to lengthen , then couldn’t)
Probably could but to be honest, I don't like the Fox fork that's on it. The CSU has creaked since I got it and it feels shit.

The Trek has a funky head tube where the bearing just drops into the carbon frame, so an angleset is not an option with them.

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The Trek has a funky head tube where the bearing just drops into the carbon frame, so an angleset is not an option with them.
If you don't mind ending up with external bearing cups, it can now be done. Possibly even avoids the requirement for the knock-block with some careful checking of fork / fork dial clearances.