The gaming thread

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Finished The Witcher 3 including the 2 DLCs. Pretty great overall, kept me interested and keen to keep playing for 90% of the time, but I just focused on the main quests, side quests and contracts (and skipped all the gwent, fist fights and horce races). Probably a bunch of other stuff still to do, but I'm not one for grinding through all of the low level monsters...

Now its Doom Eternal or Deus Ex Mankind Divided....

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Finished The Witcher 3 including the 2 DLCs. Pretty great overall, kept me interested and keen to keep playing for 90% of the time, but I just focused on the main quests, side quests and contracts (and skipped all the gwent, fist fights and horce races). Probably a bunch of other stuff still to do, but I'm not one for grinding through all of the low level monsters...

Now its Doom Eternal or Deus Ex Mankind Divided....
Deus ex I say.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'm hanging for info on the Playstation 5 and figure the version with the disc drive for under $1,000 is gonna be expected. I really like that Cyberpunk will comeout on PS4 then an enhanced version on PS5 but don't know when.
I'll get the launch version of the PS5, there's some pretty cool games at launch on it (apparently). I'm hoping my Logitech steering wheel is compatible though.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Always cool to see the new gen consoles square off in benchmarks and reviews!
I'm also interested in AMD announcing thier new GPUs in October, Nvidia has thier new ones out next week.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Will wait and see which one gains the most market share. If the PS5 goes the way of the PS4 then it will be safe bet.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Rumours are that the S version will be about $100 less than the PS5 without the disc slot
disc slot FTW. digital downloads can corrupt or you can run out of drive space for new games. I know some people have external drives they hook up to their PS, and I might do that one day, but mostly I'll just delete a couple of old games to make way for new ones. it works for me because I like to buy game discs, so a game can be re-installed if necessary.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
@Zaf my Steam account will be 16 in Dec - came with HL2 on 5 CDs or so. Didn't use it for a long time though, glad I could remember the account details :) It was pretty revolutionary at the time to think about buying games completely through an online store, even if it wasn't that feasible in 2004 as our internet wasn't really up to it. Nows its pretty much all I'm using.

The thing with Xbox and PS is that outside the gamepass subscriptions, its often cheaper to buy the disc than it is to buy it through the online stores. And you can easily resell them once you've played it. But I agree, its a pretty outdated method for distributing games

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
100% disc drive for me. Why? Allow me to enlighten you:
  1. The disc version is cheaper. Der. Except for good sales that happen 18 years after the game is released.
  2. I trade story-based games in on new games once I finish it. Everyone has a win.
  3. Um, I like the buzz of picking up a new game on launch day. Call me old fashioned? ;)