Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
This is the scary part "retreaded".

View attachment 367027
Haha, yes I saw that. Probably better to scout around the jap importers and find a used one - they were on a bunch of random small Japanese cars I think.

The size appeals is all, and it would fit where the AC compressor currently is and I could put an electric compressor in somewhere else. A shits and giggles idea I’ll likely never do, but be an easy but modest power bump for the meg if I ever manage to get it back together...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Haha, yes I saw that. Probably better to scout around the jap importers and find a used one - they were on a bunch of random small Japanese cars I think.

The size appeals is all, and it would fit where the AC compressor currently is and I could put an electric compressor in somewhere else. A shits and giggles idea I’ll likely never do, but be an easy but modest power bump for the meg if I ever manage to get it back together...
There's a few being offloaded by other online sellers that look like the same reconditioned unit, I wonder what failed on them ? Seen one installed on a car in a youtube video that had the ceramic come off on the scrolls and made a loud horrible whine. The Aisin branded stuff is fantastic, toyota OEM usually and lasts for ages.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

Isn't a drop-in Meg RS turbo motor the easy solution?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Isn't a drop-in Meg RS turbo motor the easy solution?
With a donor car perhaps. Not after that much grunt or effort, may as well jsut buy the sport.
Plus I’d jsut like to try a supercharger anyway - this megane is a hack car anyway and maybe it could tow around a small camper trailer if I ever get to tassie, so a modest low down torque bump might be nice. Just a few pounds of boost, not chasing big power!

With the way things are going these days, I can see me keeping the meg for quite a while as a dirt cheap set of wheels! Won’t be putting any money into a dream car anytime soon!!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
So some boost contraption that can work within the OEM engine computer coding? Is that even possible?
Depends... A few pounds would likely be mostly within the ecu map capabilities, but realistically a dyno session and map adjustment would be needed. The factory ecu can be remapped easily easily enough.
Like I said, just a thought. I’m laid up and on drugs this week...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Those small type superchargers will be far easier to install and cheaper than installing a turbo set up. For the jeopardy of long motor life you would keep it around 7~8 psi without further mods.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Those small type superchargers will be far easier to install and cheaper than installing a turbo set up. For the jeopardy of long motor life you would keep it around 7~8 psi without further mods.
The Renault engines are extremely tough, they’ll take a lot even on a standard NA spec. But 8 psi would probably add a very useful improvement while keeping it all reliable and tame for street use.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
That is a very small supercharger. Getting 8 psi out of it even on a 1L engine would probably be difficult. Roots blowers are inefficient hot air makers at the best of times.

However, it is super cheap and would be easy to fit/drive so might make for an interesting project.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That is a very small supercharger. Getting 8 psi out of it even on a 1L engine would probably be difficult. Roots blowers are inefficient hot air makers at the best of times.

However, it is super cheap and would be easy to fit/drive so might make for an interesting project.
You'll get pressure build up on a 1ltr engine because you can overdrive them a fair bit. With the Aisin AMR500 you can get up to 13.5 psi on a 1600 and heats not really a problem until you start going to big pressures over 10psi.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
With a donor car perhaps. Not after that much grunt or effort, may as well jsut buy the sport.
Plus I’d jsut like to try a supercharger anyway - this megane is a hack car anyway and maybe it could tow around a small camper trailer if I ever get to tassie, so a modest low down torque bump might be nice. Just a few pounds of boost, not chasing big power!

With the way things are going these days, I can see me keeping the meg for quite a while as a dirt cheap set of wheels! Won’t be putting any money into a dream car anytime soon!!
If you are serious about bringing it to Tas you might wanna think about fitting the supercharger after you get here. If you rego it in Tas, it'll have to go over the pits for inspection before the plate swap, and depending on how friendly your mechanic is, a supercharger mod might set some alarm bells ringing.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
If you are serious about bringing it to Tas you might wanna think about fitting the supercharger after you get here. If you rego it in Tas, it'll have to go over the pits for inspection before the plate swap, and depending on how friendly your mechanic is, a supercharger mod might set some alarm bells ringing.
Highly unlikely to be ever done, jsut postulating with too much time and endone on my hands I suspect ;) Either way it would be a post rego exercise.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Pressure is one part of the story. It is all about cramming as many Nm3 in the cylinder as possible, low volume high pressure or low pressure high volume. Playing with LSs you could get better peak from the 2.3L blower but it cost at lower outputs spinning more wasted mass. Whores for cores.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Pressure is one part of the story. It is all about cramming as many Nm3 in the cylinder as possible, low volume high pressure or low pressure high volume. Playing with LSs you could get better peak from the 2.3L blower but it cost at lower outputs spinning more wasted mass. Whores for cores.
Oh baby is a 500kw VE a hoot. You’ll spend another 14 grand on tyres of course.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
You'll get pressure build up on a 1ltr engine because you can overdrive them a fair bit. With the Aisin AMR500 you can get up to 13.5 psi on a 1600 and heats not really a problem until you start going to big pressures over 10psi.
This would be on a 2 litre, so wouldn't be expecting massive results. Its 99kw/190nm as is NA, another 20 or 30 would be dandy with a focus on low down torque. Compression isn't nuts at 9.8:1.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Mate had a Gen F GTS with 2.3L Magnusson (?) bolted on. 750 rwhp. Stupid. Couldn't drive it in anger in the dry and if a dog pissed on a road within a km it was even worserer. Small chargers suffer from high IAT but are better for part load and lower load.

Twin turbo and sequential turbo are better options. Trick is sizing the things properly.

As for that rear end I don't get the point of drag racing, you see one airline steward with a handbag you don't need to see two side by side.

@Haakon I reckon a GM 6-71 roots blower would be perfect!