MTB shoes

I prefer the following characteristics in an MTB shoe

• When clipped I want max stiffness for power transmission and improved platform on the pedals

• When clipped I want more stiffness then a flat shoe, but I’m not a roadie.

• When on flats I prefer stiffness to grip, but grip is still important. Walking is for whimps

• When on Flats I prefer max grip, but prefer to be able to walk when not pedalling.

• When on Flats I want max grip and moderate stiffness. Goldilocks

• I don’t wear shoes, the leather soles of my feet grip nice

Results are only viewable after voting.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
quik test of the ion raid on the macedon trials this morning,

sole is stiffer than the brandon seminuk’s, i would say ever so slightly more grip too, fairly close though.
sizing is fairly true, i’m normally so 45, these fit fine - plenty of room in toe for long feet
i really like the laces stayed up and tight for the whole ride, really good back ankle support, a little roomy for me across the ball of my foot but i did have thin-ish roadie style map socks on -so shouldn’t be a problem.
don’t hide dirt so well, the blue really stands out, i’ll see how they wipe clean later

overall fairly happy with them, needed a second pair & seem pretty good so far, like them just a little more than the etnies

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I'm not arsing around with reading the whole thread , so.... A stiffer sole better turns your whole foot into a pedal platform, as long as it's the right shape formyour foot..... A good shoe will be as stiff as a plank (or stiffer) but not feel like it, it just is , but you'll feel a bad shoe every moment you're wearing it. If you tend to get off & walk a bit, a slightly softer shoe, preferably with toe studs will be your best bet. A badly-shaped shoe (for your particular foot) will just feel like you're pedalling a crank with a plank bolted to each side. Softer soles + longer distances = sore feet/legs

moorey

call me Mia
Grabbed Felix some Aften Keenans on sale to try.
He rates them really high. Says they’re as grippy as 5tens and a lot lighter, and just as comfy.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Time to get some flat pedal shoes, I've been using Vans classics, no probs throwing down a couple of hours riding but want something stiffer and more sturdy.

@Litenbror rates the 510 Impact, but I can't find them anywhere in my size. Also @teK-- reckons the Freerider Pro are narrow, I can't do narrow and @Litenbror says his foot isn't wide, so they're not looking good.

The Aftons are a good price, but maybe narrow @moorey saying comfortable as 510, and I want durable. Other reviews are also saying they are not very durable.

I have Shimano SPD shoes in the wide sizing, which doesn't exist anymore but they have the "volume tour last" which should be good for my wide foot. They have lasted so well, 4000+km and still in great condition. All my Shimano SPD shoes over the years have been very durable so they are looking good.

I think they'll be a substantial step up from Vans, I'm looking at the GR701 and GR 901. Anyone got them? I know @Haakon has the lower model ones but they don't have the shank plate and I want a bit more stiffness than Vans and the grippier Michelin sole.

moorey

call me Mia
Felix hasn’t managed to kill at all yet. If you want wider, go the 1/2 size option. That gives extra width without more length.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
For me, it’s non leather first, then the best I can find after that. My sombrio are great. Just bought some etnies, yet to try.
My old s/h Impacts are listed as ‘action leather’...which I assumed to be synthetic, but it isn’t.
Grip, with a medium stiffness sole for me.

LBS has some nice looking Spesh (shudder) flats I’m keen to try. 1/2 the weight of 5tens, so no sure of efficacy.
Spesh make good shoes, IMO. I have had trouble with shimano and Giro shoes that were too narrow at the toe, whereas the spesh mountain and road shoes seem to fit my D-width feet just fine. I just got some cliplace shoes that seem a bit low in the toe box, but a bit of use will hopefully soften them and pack down the midsole a touch. first clipless lace-up shoes. I'm more used to a ratchet strap to help lock the heel down in the shoe.

I think Spesh do wide and half sizes for the Muricans, but Spesh Aus doesn't import them, AFAIK.

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I've got the Shimano GR901 (thanks @Mclovin) . Good news is that they're ebike rated! Whatever that means...

I went from the previous model and had no issues with durability at all. Theses are just a change of colour. I had the last pair for about 2 years, riding about once a week. Zero issues with the upper or lining and the soul only just started to get overly gouged out by the pedal pins (OneUp composites).

They're comfy and not an overly stuff sole. They will loosen up over time a little. Excellent water repellent, basically water proof. I stepped into a stream at Falls Creek and my foot stayed totally dry.

You'll have zero issues with grip on the Michelin sole as well.

teK--

Eats Squid
Time to get some flat pedal shoes, I've been using Vans classics, no probs throwing down a couple of hours riding but want something stiffer and more sturdy.

@Litenbror rates the 510 Impact, but I can't find them anywhere in my size. Also @teK-- reckons the Freerider Pro are narrow, I can't do narrow and @Litenbror says his foot isn't wide, so they're not looking good.

The Aftons are a good price, but maybe narrow @moorey saying comfortable as 510, and I want durable. Other reviews are also saying they are not very durable.

I have Shimano SPD shoes in the wide sizing, which doesn't exist anymore but they have the "volume tour last" which should be good for my wide foot. They have lasted so well, 4000+km and still in great condition. All my Shimano SPD shoes over the years have been very durable so they are looking good.

I think they'll be a substantial step up from Vans, I'm looking at the GR701 and GR 901. Anyone got them? I know @Haakon has the lower model ones but they don't have the shank plate and I want a bit more stiffness than Vans and the grippier Michelin sole.
I have the Shimano GR701 (same as 901 but without the flap over the laces). They are GREAT for duck footed folk like myself. Very roomy and decently stiff shank so you don't get a sore foot arch.

The Michelin sole is reasonably grippy, not as grippy as Stealth rubber but it has also turned out to be a better balance of durability.

I also have a pair of Freeriders for mucking around in and the new ones are definitely narrower than from 5+ years ago pre-Adidas. my feet feel pinched so I can't really use them for a long ride.

Haakon

Keeps on digging

I have these ones. I am still pretty new to the flat pedal caper though and have never used anything else - i just went with these because shimano shoes always fit me best and their sizing is reliable between models for online shopping. They are as expected, comfy (for my feet) and well made.

No idea how they compare to others for pedal grip, but im still pretty careful and have so far failed to slash my shins.

And still caked with mud from my crash, should probably clean them at some point...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

I have these ones. I am still pretty new to the flat pedal caper though and have never used anything else - i just went with these because shimano shoes always fit me best and their sizing is reliable between models for online shopping. They are as expected, comfy (for my feet) and well made.

No idea how they compare to others for pedal grip, but im still pretty careful and have so far failed to slash my shins.

And still caked with mud from my crash, should probably clean them at some point...
Imagine if your were strapped on for that crash!!!