Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nope. They have perfected the 959.

@blacksp20

Not sure if you guy's understood me correctly or not?

The reason I'm conflicted is the 959 is to special and rare in my mind. I'd rather see them fully restored. (Yep I had one on my wall as a kid too ha ha)
Many other not so rare / special cars to do as restomods.
Probably wouldn't care if they're rebuilding smashed up or neglected ones, the're finding the best standard examples then doing this to them.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
@blacksp20

The reason I'm conflicted is the 959 is to special and rare in my mind. I'd rather see them fully restored. (Yep I had one on my wall as a kid too ha ha)
Probably wouldn't care if they're rebuilding smashed up or neglected ones, the're finding the best standard examples then doing this to them.
Normally I would agree - but this is Canepa. They played a significant role in the 959's development (it never would've been sold in the US had Canepa not gone to the endless efforts of getting them homologated, crash tested etc). They'd arguably know as much about the 959 as Porsche does, plus I believe most if not all their tweakery is reversible.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@blacksp20

Yeah I figured that’s what you meant.
Doesn’t bother me if they restomod them. If they are doing it tastefully, which it appears they are, then I think it’s tops. Much prefer them or a Singer over a RWB Porsche, they are monstrosities.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Yeah I figured that’s what you meant.
Doesn’t bother me if they restomod them. If they are doing it tastefully, which it appears they are, then I think it’s tops. Much prefer them or a Singer over a RWB Porsche, they are monstrosities.
Yeah I struggle with the RWB stuff too. However given the value of 964s and 993s has outstripped gold bullion I wouldn't expect to see too many more of them. Actually I'd expect many will be quietly "converted" back to standard in time.

RWB is finalising a 997 kit now, so they clearly see which way the market's going.

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
That’s going to be a tough ask given the amount of panel cutting that is involved during installation.
Agreed but given the market value of the cars someone will fire up some panel restoration / reproductions for the front wings that get violated during installation. Rear guards might be more of a challenge but I'm sure someone will sort something out.
Nah, again agree to disagree...at least with this RWB:
Ten years ago when it was just the one dude operating his skunkworks out of the backstreets of Osaka or wherever, chain smoking and drinking Stella (vomit) while working on his covert rat rod beasts for the benefit of the occasional Speedhunters article I was all about it, but the onset of popularity and shit YouTube influencers plaguing his kits has.... diluted the appeal somewhat.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
As someone who has been lucky enough to drive a 912 and quite a few 911s from a 2.2L 911T through to the brilliant 4.0 GT3RS ( and two different GT2s) the best thing I can say about the 912 is....

...where is that vomit emoji?