How to New Bike Setup Advice

mtb1611

Seymour
Evening all.

I've just gone from a 2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0 to a Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Carbon and they're obviously two very different animals. Whilst they share many similar dimensions, they have just as many differences; slightly longer wheelbase but shorter chainstays on the Stumpy, along with slacker angles and a 780mm bar coupled with a 40mm stem (as opposed to 670mm and 100mm on the Trance). After yesterday's maiden voyage, I was blown away by the cornering and balance, and how much more confident I was really leaning into berms, with the fatter rubber.

My question is around the idea of feeling a tad cramped in the cockpit on climbs, with the shorter stem forcing my weight back more than I'm used to. My initial thinking is to whack on a slightly longer stem, but I'm hesitant to do so given the handling, as I don't want to compromise it, particularly given that I'm only one ride in.

Thoughts? Prior experiences? All appreciated. Cheers!

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
It's only climbing! It's not really that important in the scheme of things... :p

But apart from feeling more cramped, is it causing any other issues?

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Nah, leave it alone for at least the first month or so. They are completely different beasts so you just need to learn how to handle the new rig and kinda retrain your body/body english on the bike, in a few weeks something will just click and you'll not even consider changing anything and wonder why you were even thinking about it. Enjoy.

mtb1611

Seymour
This, get someone here to loan you one so you know before spending any money.
Too late, it's in the garage! Definitely the right size, I've been on mediums forever.

It's only climbing! It's not really that important in the scheme of things... :p

But apart from feeling more cramped, is it causing any other issues?
Nope, not at all. Even though I'm only one ride in, there was enough variety in the ride to have called out any other 'issues' (for want of a better word).

Nah, leave it alone for at least the first month or so. They are completely different beasts so you just need to learn how to handle the new rig and kinda retrain your body/body english on the bike, in a few weeks something will just click and you'll not even consider changing anything and wonder why you were even thinking about it. Enjoy.
I'd say you're right, was actually the same when I bought my latest roadie a few years back. Thanks for the input thus far everyone, much appreciated.

Last edited:

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I would try the seat back a little if you are already happy with the down handling.
i prefer the opposite, i like getting the seat forward for climbing, i need some weight on the front wheel,

@mtb1611 do you mostly climb seated, or do you like to do a bit of standing? i find doing some standing pedalling helps with the feeling of climbing a small bike, what are the reach numbers for the 2 frames: a 50mm stem might help a bit

mtb1611

Seymour
i prefer the opposite, i like getting the seat forward for climbing, i need some weight on the front wheel,

@mtb1611 do you mostly climb seated, or do you like to do a bit of standing? i find doing some standing pedalling helps with the feeling of climbing a small bike, what are the reach numbers for the 2 frames: a 50mm stem might help a bit
Definitely seated. The reach on the Stumpy is 425mm, Trance is around 5mm more, but the stem on it is 50mm longer, so essentially looking at a 55mm difference.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Nah, leave it for a bit. On the first day on my Procaliber it felt like I would flip over backwards every time it pointed up. Now it's not even an after thought. I tried a few different lengths to get some front end bite, I ended up with them same length stem, but steeper angle.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Definitely seated. The reach on the Stumpy is 425mm, Trance is around 5mm more, but the stem on it is 50mm longer, so essentially looking at a 55mm difference.
They’re also very different bikes. It would be a shame to dilute the fun and capability of the Stumpy by trying to make it climb more like an XC bike.

As has been said definitely give it some time first then if you still feel cramped try going to a 50 or 60mm stem, if you still need a bit more space then slide your saddle back a bit.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Completely agree mate, could make it feel worse for seated climbing, but I'm assuming a modern bike with a steep seat-tube anyway, so might make it feel a little less cramped without compromising things too much. It's only sliding the seat back so worth a try if he's still not happy with the climbing after settling in on the bike in about a month or so.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
last Q, do bikes have diff saddles, does one have the newer stumpy style, i prob prefer shorter but i find switching to longer saddles makes a big diff to climbing feel

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I don't think an extra 5 or 10 mm stem will create a negative handling experience, but if you blow out to 60mm it's going to feel like a bus.

Do you have some space to experiment with raising and lowering the stack height? Get that stem down/up 10mm might help.

You could dip the dick of your seat a little to create a bit of a space for your body to roll into as you lean forward.

Some wider or narrower bars, wider is the usual move but 800mm sounds ridiculous.

Why not go all out and buy a longer seat post and shorter cranks?

A reverse mullet would also help get you over the front end.

mtb1611

Seymour
Thanks guys, really appreciate the help. @pink poodle had I not visited the barber last week, the reverse mullet may have been a viable option; 20/20 in hindsight!

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
177cm. Have tried a few large frames over the years but way to stretched out in terms of the top tube length.
Sorry I think this rambles a bit.
How long are your arms? For reference I am 174cm and have arm span over 180cm. My 425 reach hardtail feels a little short but is playful. It gets away with a 73deg sta due to no sag.
My 425 reach dually felt playful but dumped me on my face so often it became annoying, I stuffed up buying it due to racing bmx at the time and small and twitchy felt ok.
Currently the hardtail is on a 60mm stem after my daughter needed the 50mm. 50mm was more playful and the 60mm is bordering on wrong. 40mm would be cramped.
My latest dualie is 485 reach with a 35mm stem so a pretty big difference when I switch between bikes. It has a almost 78deg sta and is borderline too short eta. Pedalling position on the flat is a bit fucked and I regularly ride it to my local trail head. Climbs well in steep stuff so I will give it that. I ran a 45mm stem and seat slid back which helped the feel but after a lot of ks I am back on the 35mm stem with a bit more central seat position.
Since owning the longer bike I would love a hardtail or short travel dually around 450mm reach.
In summary I reckon 425 reach is borderline too small. Your old 430 and 100mm stem was way longer reach wise.