Caravans. Particularly Toy Haulers.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This covid thing has got us considering an en-suite caravan upgrade. Being a bit of a biking family deally I’d like something that will store bikes inside out of sight, out of weather etc. Don’t really need a stupidly massive van though, when away we mostly spend time outside. Also wouldn’t buy new, they are just too expensive.

Has anyone had experience with toy hauler style caravans? Or is there another way to drag 5 bikes around inside and still have dry beds and an en-suite with virtually no set up time.

Looking at Jayco Work n Play but haven’t really found much else second hand.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I imagine that the 2nd hand caravan / camper market would be even more nuts than the 2nd hand bike market at the moment.
Yeah. Prices have certainly risen, but when you buy/sell in the same market there is less difference.

One big thing for used caravans is that lots of them are interstate, which is really hard to deal with.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Speak to some of the rural Jayco dealers, they will be more flexible on price than city based dealers.
The second hand market is massively elevated and those country dealers will get a closer on price with a new one. Especially on a rarer van like a work'n'play or a Base Station.

We have bought 2 new Jaycos, an Outback Hawk in 2009 from the Mt Gambier dealer and in 2018 a Journey Outback from Jayco Mildura, both times the 5-6 hr drive made well worthwhile by the price over the city dealer.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Do the sums. Hire works out a good option if the thing is going to be used 2 or 3 weeks a year. Nephew just hired a new small tenement and it cost $1k per week. We use our camper a minimum of 4 weeks a year and my sons get another 4 weeks. Even then hotels and weeklies are cheaper overall.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Hire and accommodation are good when you can get them. All the good vans are booked and gone on long weekends and the accommodation is booked out a year in advance.
MTB races, trips to MTB destinations, the flexibility of just turning up short notice, deciding short notice that you are going to piss off for the weekend... very hard to do with a rental van or air-BnB style accommodation.

We bought that brand new Outback Hawk in 2009 for $21.5k, my kids were 2 & 3, we travelled Aus wide for 9 years sleeping in it a total of 315 nights (excel spreadsheet), sold 2018 for $17k.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Caravan Industry in Vic is bleeding cash - wait till October - the Industry is doing a Big Online sale - Contact free - if you know what you want .
- Might be a Good Opportunity

Try CIAv - industry Site - they have been emailing i building interest and ( Hoping i guess ) for some return on this - 6 months with minimal sales would hurt .

sossy

Saucier
Caravan Industry in Vic is bleeding cash - wait till October - the Industry is doing a Big Online sale - Contact free - if you know what you want .
- Might be a Good Opportunity

Try CIAv - industry Site - they have been emailing i building interest and ( Hoping i guess ) for some return on this - 6 months with minimal sales would hurt .
I wouldn't be holding my breath on a big sale. There will be show specials, as there are at all shows - this online event replaces leisure fest, which is the second largest Victorian show - behind the Feb show at the showgrounds.

90% of caravan manufacture in Australia happens in Victoria, with the restrictions on overseas travel, the RV industry is experiencing very strong sales. Many manufacturers were already booked into next year for customer builds, with the current restriction in metro Mel, they haven't been able to manufacture anything for 8 weeks, so a van due for delivery in Feb, is now due for delivery in April, and that's before factoring in sales from the other states in the last 8 weeks.

You may get a show special, but I wouldn't be banking on a van delivered any time soon. Several manufacturers have sold all stock in yards and haven't scheduled display stock production as it will add to customers wait times.

Last edited: