Bargain buys thread

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Would the Aion be suitable for a fat dad's bike? I'm currently building a 29 hardtail and looking for s 120mm fork but want the ability to adjust to about 150 if I end up getting a full squish in the future. Nothing hardcore just riding green and blue trails with my kid. I've been too long out of mtbing to know what's good or bad on the used market and there's very little around at the moment.

Didn't @nathanm buy one of these real cheap from crc?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The complete opposite of bargain..

WTF
Bargain, only 35c / km or $8.60 per average 25km ride.
Disclaimer (does not include additional chain / ring costs in cost per ride figure)

moorey

call me Mia
FWIW, I ran a 11sp chain around a 12sp chainring on the first attempt at finding a 'magic' ratio, and while it obviously didn't have any crossloading applied it ran smooth and quiet in terms of chain and chainring meshing.
Sorry if I missed it, what combo? I think the only issues seem to be shimano 12x chains and rings. Slightly different tooth profile 'works' with other 11/12sp chains, but not perfectly.
I've gone m8100 cranks with berg ring, on an 11sp drivetrain. I didn't want to go 12x, but wanted shimano cranks and DM ring.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Would the Aion be suitable for a fat dad's bike? I'm currently building a 29 hardtail and looking for s 120mm fork but want the ability to adjust to about 150 if I end up getting a full squish in the future. Nothing hardcore just riding green and blue trails with my kid. I've been too long out of mtbing to know what's good or bad on the used market and there's very little around at the moment.
yes. Suntour make great high end fork (as well as terribly cheap forks).

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Sorry if I missed it, what combo? I think the only issues seem to be shimano 12x chains and rings. Slightly different tooth profile 'works' with other 11/12sp chains, but not perfectly.
I've gone m8100 cranks with berg ring, on an 11sp drivetrain. I didn't want to go 12x, but wanted shimano cranks and DM ring.
In another thread the other day you seemed concerned a 11sp chain wouldn't mesh smoothly with a Shimano 12sp DM chainring. I put a Shimano 11sp (XT) chain on a 12sp (XT) chainring and all was smooth... (This was on a single-speed setup though, so no side-loading on the chain)

moorey

call me Mia
In another thread the other day you seemed concerned a 11sp chain wouldn't mesh smoothly with a Shimano 12sp DM chainring. I put a Shimano 11sp (XT) chain on a 12sp (XT) chainring and all was smooth... (This was on a single-speed setup though, so no side-loading on the chain)
I still am. The Burgtech DM shimano apparently rocks even though not specified as an 11sp ring (some like oneup/WTC sell a separate one for non 12sp shimano chains)
@The Duckmeister says the 11sp chain works on a genuine shimano 12sp ring with 12sp train....but its a bit rough. I'm not prepared to risk it being average.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I still am. The Burgtech DM shimano apparently rocks even though not specified as an 11sp ring (some like oneup/WTC sell a separate one for non 12sp shimano chains)
@The Duckmeister says the 11sp chain works on a genuine shimano 12sp ring with 12sp train....but its a bit rough. I'm not prepared to risk it being average.
I did wonder if side-loaded it'd get nasty, but all running inline it was golden.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think that was before covid really fuxxored things and was old stock as I remember looking back when I saw his post and seeing no longer available, there's still nothing cheap on crc or wiggle.
I mean that he can likely advise you of the suitability. I was pretty sure that price would be long gone. Plus the crazy green.

clockworked

Like an orange
The auron and the durolux are properly good. The obly real downsides are the weight (+200g on the competition) and the adjustability. They're both very adjustable, and it's easy to set them up crap if you don't know a bit.
I've had both as 2016 models and would happily again. The 34 is lighter, but less tunable than the auron. The 36 is lighter and has a more appropriate low and high speed compression circuit than the durolux I'm currently on those two 2019 fox forks.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Fuck me! That would want to be some freaking amazing grease at that price. Does it leave you with youthful soft hands?