Could 10mm of extra travel contributed to cracking my chainstay?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I thought it was a rock hitting my chainstay, as I took a big rock hit on my last night ride, but it has been floated that it could be the extra travel on my rear shock. My bike came factory with a 130mm travel fork. The dude before me, original owner, fitted a shock with the same eye to eye but 140mm of travel. I've been riding it for last 18 months happily but the guy who fixed it thinks it could be the stress from the extra leverage caused by the extra travel? The shock doesn't foul or hit anywhere and I've never bottomed it out, hence I've never really though too much about it. So I could look at having the shock reduced in travel I guess as I don't want to go back to a DPS from my DPX2. Thoughts please?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Longer travel shock (with same eye-to-eye) will not cause any extra leverage (unlike a longer travel fork) as the rear wheel position is fixed by the axle.

DMan

Longer travel shock (with same eye-to-eye) will not cause any extra leverage (unlike a longer travel fork) as the rear wheel position is fixed by the axle.
It may be my lack of understanding Le engineering in his defence, not his explanation. Would there be a lot of extra stress put on the chainstay by that extra travel??

SummitFever

Eats Squid
It may be my lack of understanding Le engineering in his defence, not his explanation. Would there be a lot of extra stress put on the chainstay by that extra travel??
Hard to imagine but we'd need to see the suspension design of the frame. Max. force on the chainstay typically occurs on bottom out. The extra travel should actually reduce the peak forces involved by spreading them over a larger amount of movement (eg. travel).

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I would like to think that bike engineers are not designing frames that close to the breaking point and they have some level of over engineering to accommodate this

DMan

Hard to imagine but we'd need to see the suspension design of the frame. Max. force on the chainstay typically occurs on bottom out. The extra travel should actually reduce the peak forces involved by spreading them over a larger amount of movement (eg. travel).

It broke about an inch back from where the tape starts

SummitFever

Eats Squid
If it's like that MTBR pic then that crack is the typical crack at the edge of the weld heat affected zone. Nothing to do with a bit of extra shock travel. May be a design flaw.

DMan

If it's like that MTBR pic then that crack is the typical crack at the edge of the weld heat affected zone. Nothing to do with a bit of extra shock travel. May be a design flaw.
The photo that @leitch posted is pretty spot on where and what it looks like.