Wheel Build Advice Thread

PJO

in me vL comy
Yes, I was trying to get some close out DTs but same problem as you. The Pillars are fine.

If you want to match DT Comps get the PSR 2018. These are what I bought for my latest wheel.

The PSR 14 guage "straight" spokes are like DT Champs.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
I've noticed a couple of wheelsets (XC/trail) which have a wider heavier front rim and a narrower lighter rear. My aluminium front rims last forever without being trued, the rear ones need relatively frequent attention. Forgive my ignorance, but doesn't the rim size seem the wrong way around? Is this because I'm a Luddite not using carbon rims?

moorey

call me Mia
Agreed that it’s stupid for anything other than XC, and even then. Allows a wider tyre on the front I guess, but it’s the rear that gets pounded.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
wider heavier front rim and a narrower lighter rear
Narrower doesn't necessarily mean lighter though. A narrower rim of the same weight could be built burlier to better deal with hits on the rear.
Are you sure the front rim is heavier than the rear?

Tiptopperoo

Cannon Fodder
Hi guys, has anyone used Actionsports.de for a complete wheelset build? Their prices seem good and the range of things they have available seems impressive.

I'm looking at getting a set of DT Swiss XM421 or 481 rims on some DT 350's for my 120mm Scott Spark 910 which I've dinged up the back rim on some rock gardens. Thinking the 30mm width will maybe give me some more protection and allow some bigger tyres if I like. I'm 75kg and no red bull rampage rider, just enjoying going up and down and starting to get some more confidence on rock gardens, drops and jumps.
I'm also seeing what my LBS can do, but the DT Swiss stuff from Germany is so competitive on price even once you factor in shipping and GST.

Cheers.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Their prices do look good for this one -

Here's a review of the above rims -

Shredden

Knows his goats
Borrowing a tension meter and truing stand to go over my new wheels (350s to Stans Flow). Should i do this with tire mounted and inflated or does it make no difference

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I'd do tyre off. Unless you don't care about radial true? Harder to check that with tyre on.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Borrowing a tension meter and truing stand to go over my new wheels (350s to Stans Flow). Should i do this with tire mounted and inflated or does it make no difference
Bit of both. Tyre pressure will squash the rim & reduce spoke tension to some extent, dependent mostly on various rim parameters; some rims will detension more than others. Do the bulk of the work without tyre to get the balance right, then a final tune with tyre to correct the compression.

goobags

Likes Dirt
So I need to re dish my rear wheel, I have the gear but no idea, do I record all tensions, then back one side off a quarter turn, tighten the other side a quarter turn then check tensions and repeat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
So I need to re dish my rear wheel, I have the gear but no idea, do I record all tensions, then back one side off a quarter turn, tighten the other side a quarter turn then check tensions and repeat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go half a turn loose on the side that's close to the chainstay, then half a turn tight on the other side, then check dish.

The cassette side may be/usually near 100kgf, the disc side will be around 80kgf, it wont make a whole lot of difference if the wheel was already in good tension. If you have a tension meter/tool, you could be anal about it.

You have not said but the spacing of you hub flange to disc, asymmetric rims, ect... all come into it. I would do 1/2 and 1/2 and see how you go.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Will just add, de-stress after small adjustments.

Check this video at the 4 minute mark.

Put the hub on a soft surface and press down on each side of the rim, if you 'wound up' the spoke instead of tensioning/de-tensioning it , you will hear it.