COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

moorey

call me Mia
USA is going to be well beyond the tipping point by the time Biden takes office. I think his only option will be to take a huge economic hit to try to slow it down. Can’t wait for Trumps tweeting about it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I saw news that some Melbourne businesses have been defying the rules and opening up. Hopefully they don't jeopardize the whole thing so close to easing restrictions.

Minlak

custom titis
I saw news that some Melbourne businesses have been defying the rules and opening up. Hopefully they don't jeopardize the whole thing so close to easing restrictions.
People in general have had enough - Recent information has events like these running their courses in around 18 mths no matter what you do - So that puts us in this yo-yo situation until at least August / October 2021.

So think about the mantra you get from social media and in fact main stream media (especially reality tv (the voice etc)) - "Don't let anything stand in your way" - "People told me know but I kept pushing" - "I didn't give up" - Successful and the apparantly successful all talk about drive and not giving in or up - These are just everyday people now that had designs on a better life for themselves and their families and constantly being told no with the added pressure of the perception that if you do the right thing you will be safe (mask - sterilise - distance) and that if you are healthy the virus is pretty much a non event for you.

moorey

call me Mia
I personally know of someone who is in an industry which is way lower risk of transmission then most of the ones that are allowed to run right through shutdown. His business is about to go under, which will cost him further tens of thousands of dollars. He says he faces a $1000 fine for operating, So I don’t blame him for a second for considering breaking the rules.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I personally know of someone who is in an industry which is way lower risk of transmission then most of the ones that are allowed to run right through shutdown. His business is about to go under, which will cost him further tens of thousands of dollars. He says he faces a $1000 fine for operating, So I don’t blame him for a second for considering breaking the rules.
You forgot a zero on that fine.

I don't know what science is behind who can open and who can't, but sometimes it appears very random which must be super frustrating for a lot of businesses and the people behind them.

moorey

call me Mia
Might have missed one on both. He said $10,000 If business closes, or a $1000 fine. $100,000 and a $10,000 does sound more like it.
It’s all one on one, with less interaction and then a hairdresser or a beautician, so it doesn’t make a lot of sense that he is not allowed to operate at this point.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You forgot a zero on that fine.

I don't know what science is behind who can open and who can't, but sometimes it appears very random which must be super frustrating for a lot of businesses and the people behind them.
It's all a bit weird with the latest round of announcements.
  • Kids in Yrs 8-10 can't go back to school yet but can hang out at a skate-park all day
  • Allegedly the '4 reasons to leave your house' rules still apply but you can now get a haircut as well, which has been deemed as 'essential' even though up until today they all had to be closed. Hairdressers, while having no more or less contact than other beauty places get to open while the others don't
  • I can have up to 5 tradies in my house, but can't have 2 customers in my clothes shop. I also can't have 5 other family members in my house...
  • 30 people can swim through each others pee (and spit) in an outdoor pool, but only 10 can attend an outdoor exercise class
  • A personal one; I can access all of metropolitan melbourne and interact with 1000s, inside and outside as much as I want, but I can't take my wife to see her parents, or ride my bike on my own at the Youies (or Red Hill)

I'm sure there's modelling that shows all of the above making total sense, and there will always be anomalies, but it would be interesting to see it as a lot of the new stuff just appears to be "make shit up based on whatever interest group is either making the most noise, or donating the most $$'