COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure what sort of hubris makes you think you know better than Swann? I sure don’t, or the WHO, but it’s advice has been pretty inconsistent over the last 10 months.

No disrespect to Norman, but the evidence presents differently. Maybe he was using a metric than cases, deaths perhaps?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But maybe...just maybe...the strict first lockdown reduced the impact?
Or maybe they have dealt with pandemics before and use the first lockdown time to get organised? We were told daily our contract tracing and health systems were as good as anywhere else in the world.. They weren’t. Norman Swan has been critical about this as well..

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
track and trace via QR code for entry into just about anything
I still don't understand why we're not doing this. Should be mandatory to enter any business as far as I'm concerned.

Temp scans are a little bit pointless (ie: token gesture) IMO. You can have the virus (and be contagious) for several days before developing a fever, so knowing where people of been during their contagious period of the virus would be much more beneficial IMO.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I’m not seeing compelling evidence that you become immune after catching it.
There has been a reports of people getting it a second time.

I said people who’d actually caught it....
Imagine the web! He has faked catching a fake illness to fool the people in the lead up to a fake election. Will have to get Christopher Nolan to make a film out of this one!!!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
There has been a reports of people getting it a second time.

Imagine the web! He has faked catching a fake illness to fool the people in the lead up to a fake election. Will have to get Christopher Nolan to make a film out of this one!!!
Nolan has gone to hide on an island while counting his millions

“No fucking way I can make a movie as twisted as these fuckers” he was heard saying

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure what sort of hubris makes you think you know better than Swann? I sure don’t, or the WHO, but it’s advice has been pretty inconsistent over the last 10 months.
Not that I want to keep this going, this is just for the record so I am not seen as making shit up.. Quoting Catherine Bennett Epidemiologist

Happy to acknowledge that South Korea’s second wave isn’t considered a fair comparison to what Melbourne has done..

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There’s only one metric to consider when comparing Melb to SG. Singapore had everyone in masks even while riding bikes in the jungle. Now think about the climate over there, there’s harsh then there’s harsh

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There’s only one metric to consider when comparing Melb to SG. Singapore had everyone in masks even while riding bikes in the jungle. Now think about the climate over there, there’s harsh then there’s harsh
Awful climate in Singapore..

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The UK is out of control.

Spoke to my mother, shes actually worried because so many people in her town have it, they have shut/locked down everything again apart from essentials.

Population of N Ireland is about 1.7 million, petty much the same population as SA but they have had roughly the same amount of cases as Australia as a whole.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Yeah stupid question from the back: I don't actually understand what that means? Is it the flow on effect of avoidable fatalities due to ICUs getting clogged with pandemic patients?
That would be part of it, and throw in things like people not going to appointments out of fear of catching it, surgery being canceled and Grannies being taken out of nursing homes and away from immediate care.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yeah stupid question from the back: I don't actually understand what that means? Is it the flow on effect of avoidable fatalities due to ICUs getting clogged with pandemic patients?
Yep as per @Freediver a combination of clogged up system delaying access to care, and avoidance of hospitals as perceived places of high risk for COVID transmission by people who need medical attention.

There’s been some evidence of this in Australia too with rates for mammograms and skin cancer checks etc plummeting because no one wanted to go anywhere a doctor if they didn’t have to.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
8000 more cases in N Ireland alone since I posted the last numbers on Tuesday.

Being put down to people celebrating the lifting of restrictions and kids going back to school from about 4-5 weeks ago, more than half the cases accounted for every day are in the Schools. The Schools have now been put on an extended 2.5 week break from the 19th Oct (They only get a week usually) because there are no teachers available as they are all self isolating.

This is wave 3, bigger and harder than the last two :oops:

This one will not be able to be controlled.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
8000 more cases in N Ireland alone since I posted the last numbers on Tuesday.

Being put down to people celebrating the lifting of restrictions and kids going back to school from about 4-5 weeks ago, more than half the cases accounted for every day are in the Schools. The Schools have now been put on an extended 2.5 week break from the 19th Oct (They only get a week usually) because there are no teachers available as they are all self isolating.

This is wave 3, bigger and harder than the last two :oops:

This one will not be able to be controlled.

View attachment 368536
That's our biggest bug bear about all the dicks protesting about Dan's 'slow' return to normal. We've had our second wave and brought it back under control, we don't want a third, and we sure as hell don't want to follow most of Europe with twice as many cases as the first time around.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
and we sure as hell don't want to follow most of Europe with twice as many cases as the first time around.
Yeah but the UK/euro did bugger all testing in the first wave, they reckon there was way more cases than was reported.. Estimated 2-3 times many as been reported now..
So hopefully it’s not all doom and gloom and their hospitals won’t get overwhelmed..