Sooo - I want an E-Bike

Minlak

custom titis
Just want somewhere to throw around some discussion points regarding an E-Bike.
I am sure part of the reasoning process around the e-bike and the justification process are helping to exaggerate the issues I am actually having.
Current real or perceived issues include sore knees ( a more recent ongoing development ) I have found they ache a little more after rides than they were before ( however my road rides that feature fuck all elevation and no pinch climbs leave no knee issues at all) - Quads muscle fatigue I take a few more days to recover than I used to - issues with pinch climbs in a couple of locations now I walk as even in the lowest gear I just can’t push and if I do manage to push I get a slipping back wheel and with no momentum I have actually fallen off more times recently going up hills

I feel being able to carry momentum into the climb with the pedal assist will fix this.

Biggest hurdle to my though process is justifying spending money on an e-bike when I have the virtually new Ripley - the Ripley is an amazing bike but it doesn’t address my up struggles

If I sold the Ripley then maybe I wouldn’t feel as conflicted having that and an ebike?

Any ideas thoughts etc all welcome ta!

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm also interested in a pedal assist e-bike. Although for different reasons. My job is physically taxing and if I'm lucky enough to get an after work pedal in I'm pretty exhausted before setting out. I just built a shorter travel trail orientated rig with all the fruit but found while it's a blast to ride and much less taxing to climb it's not really up to what I really wanted to achieve.

I'd just like to get more laps in and enjoy more of the riding I prefer without being completely wrecked from the climbing required to get to the fun bits.

Problem at the moment seems to be trying to find stock of an e-bike that I want. I'm an XL and there seems to be a lot of compromise in finding one that I like the geometry on and a spec I am happy with.

For the amount of money required to purchase one I'd rather get exactly what I am after and not compromise or wait until mid next year for a preorder to arrive.

It seems like I'd be paying current pricing for a model that will be superceded before I take delivery on it.

I've decided to wait it out for bikes to arrive with the new ep8 motor instead of the e8000 which is on most currently available bikes.

I've got my eye on the privateer e161 as it has the newer motor and if it continues to be as competitively priced as their other offerings will hopefully offer good value.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'm also interested in a pedal assist e-bike. Although for different reasons. My job is physically taxing and if I'm lucky enough to get an after work pedal in I'm pretty exhausted before setting out. I just built a shorter travel trail orientated rig with all the fruit but found while it's a blast to ride and much less taxing to climb it's not really up to what I really wanted to achieve.

I'd just like to get more laps in and enjoy more of the riding I prefer without being completely wrecked from the climbing required to get to the fun bits.

Problem at the moment seems to be trying to find stock of an e-bike that I want. I'm an XL and there seems to be a lot of compromise in finding one that I like the geometry on and a spec I am happy with.

For the amount of money required to purchase one I'd rather get exactly what I am after and not compromise or wait until mid next year for a preorder to arrive.

It seems like I'd be paying current pricing for a model that will be superceded before I take delivery on it.

I've decided to wait it out for bikes to arrive with the new ep8 motor instead of the e8000 which is on most currently available bikes.

I've got my eye on the privateer e161 as it has the newer motor and if it continues to be as competitively priced as their other offerings will hopefully offer good value.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk
Commencal have some xl Meta Powers due in Dec.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I am sure part of the reasoning process around the e-bike and the justification process are helping to exaggerate the issues I am actually having.
Current real or perceived issues include sore knees ( a more recent ongoing development ) I have found they ache a little more after rides than they were before ( however my road rides that feature fuck all elevation and no pinch climbs leave no knee issues at all) - Quads muscle fatigue I take a few more days to recover than I used to - issues with pinch climbs in a couple of locations now I walk as even in the lowest gear I just can’t push and if I do manage to push I get a slipping back wheel and with no momentum I have actually fallen off more times recently going up hills

I feel being able to carry momentum into the climb with the pedal assist will fix this.

Biggest hurdle to my though process is justifying spending money on an e-bike when I have the virtually new Ripley - the Ripley is an amazing bike but it doesn’t address my up struggles

If I sold the Ripley then maybe I wouldn’t feel as conflicted having that and an ebike?

Maybe you just need to incorporate more climbing in your rides. How many rides and how much elevation are you making each week?

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1. I feel being able to carry momentum into the climb with the pedal assist will fix this.

2. If I sold the Ripley then maybe I wouldn’t feel as conflicted having that and an ebike?

1. Yes it will nothing beats power on a climb, most ebikes are a bit lower than a regular bike, have to be careful with pedal placement but otherwise yes definitely easier to climb everything unless you have to finesse the bike in which case in some instances the weight makes it harder.

2. You can hang on to the Ripley until you feel bad for riding it once in 6 months and then sell it :) or maybe you'll be one of those people and there are plenty that ride both e and non e depending on the day, track, who you are riding with etc etc.

Unless you fork out for a Levo SL or an Orbea Rise or the like you will need to be willing to work the bike a bit harder on descents.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I see the attraction of an eBike and we will all need one sooner or later as our bodies fall apart.

I get a sore right knee too. I just retrained myself to use a lowers gears than before. Not using granny on each climb or anything but down one of maybe two gears.

I heard somewhere that oval rings help. I have one and my knee isn't getting worse but NFI if it helps either.

Maybe get a front ring 2 teeth smaller to begin and give it a road test for a while.

The big downer IMHO with eBikes now is that they are in a perpetual state of change and pretty proprietary. Makes longer term ownership for a big $$$ investment a bit unclear.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The thing I get repeatedly from young and fit blokes around e-bikes is that they get as good a workout as they did when they rode a regular bike.

Is it like racing where it never gets any easier, you just get faster.

Do you ride with a crowd that has a few e-bikers and they are making you go harder than you would like ?

If you have issues that are making it hard for you ? Just buy an e-bike.

There is no shame, when the time comes and I need one, I will be straight on to it. Sounds like its prying on your mind, just make the move.

The next issue is the Ripley is a very nice bike, the equivalent e-bike will be $$$

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
The thing I get repeatedly from young and fit blokes around e-bikes is that they get as good a workout as they did when they rode a regular bike.

Is it like racing where it never gets any easier, you just get faster.

Do you ride with a crowd that has a few e-bikers and they are making you go harder than you would like ?

If you have issues that are making it hard for you ? Just buy an e-bike.

There is no shame, when the time comes and I need one, I will be straight on to it. Sounds like its prying on your mind, just make the move.

The next issue is the Ripley is a very nice bike, the equivalent e-bike will be $$$
And he has to explain it to his wife after buying the Ripley. Sometimes I'm glad I can't afford all the toys I want.... :(

Minlak

custom titis
Maybe you just need to incorporate more climbing in your rides. How many rides and how much elevation are you making each week?
I ride 3 times a week trail for around 90kms of trail and around 1200m elevation ( 2 x 90 minutes ish and 1 x 3 - 3.5hr ) I also usually do 2 x 5km run / walk a week and 2 x 30mins rowing.
It really is just the slightly longer pinch climbs that I get trouble with.

I fully understand the train harder ethos and lose weight and just do it - but I’m tired all the time - just want to not be pushing all the time :)

Minlak

custom titis
it sounds like you've already made up your mind tbh
I actually haven’t 100% - I have always exercised and still struggle a little with changing to assist over just grind it - I am 51 shortly too - some stuff is just wearing out :)