Tyre inserts - Tried them yet?

teK--

Eats Squid
2 thumbs up for cushcore. Don't waste your time with anything else. Have used huck Norris it offers a tiny bit of time protection but does nothing for tyre bead retention.

Without the cushcore I swear I would have peeled the tyre off the rim on some berms.

After a couple of rides you forget the weight but enjoy all the benefits.

moorey

call me Mia
Without the cushcore I swear I would have peeled the tyre off the rim on some berms.
How do you swear you would have done something you didn’t do? Felix doesn’t run it and doesn’t have issues, so I have no need.

I’m not saying don’t, and not saying I won’t, but I don’t think the average Joe needs it, and has no hope of fitting/changing tyres while running it.

teK--

Eats Squid
How do you swear you would have done something you didn’t do? Felix doesn’t run it and doesn’t have issues, so I have no need.

I’m not saying don’t, and not saying I won’t, but I don’t think the average Joe needs it, and has no hope of fitting/changing tyres while running it.
Because I've burped tyres on the same type of corners before I used cushcore. Felix is probably a lighter and smoother rider than than me but runs more pressure or stiffer tyres?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I’m having to do some work on a local kids bike. Cracked the chain stay but fixing other stuff while I wait. Rear tyre was cut from a rim impact. Running Cushcore, but I couldn’t remove it. Got LBS to do it. Took them an hour to get it off. Was waaaaay too wide for the rim.
Cool story, huh? Long story short, I’m not running anything I can’t fix trail side in 2 minutes.
Even the right width Cushcores make getting a tyre off a very infuriating experience. Some rim profiles make it even more difficult.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Anyone here want to go halves in a set of Rimpact? Have heard good things and tempted to try but really only want one on the rear...

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Where are you based?
Melbourne so nowhere near Cairns, but Rimpact come from the UK anyway so a $10 post satchel once they arrive isn’t a big deal. It’s £83.75 inc shipping for a set (including valves), so cheaper than Cush but certainly not as cheap as Nukeproof/others.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Cushcore pro in the rear with an EXO DHR at 27psi and a cushcore xc in the front EXO Assguy at 24psi. I haven't had a puncture since I started using this set up. As much grip as I need most of the time with the added confidence boost that I need to be doing some silly shit to blow a wheel easily.
I don't notice the weight (my Titan could be 16 or 17kg for all I know and I don't have mates with light bikes so this is my norm).
In relation to the scary stories on fitment, there is a knack and with a bit of trial and error it really only adds a minute or two to a tyre change normally.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Melbourne so nowhere near Cairns, but Rimpact come from the UK anyway so a $10 post satchel once they arrive isn’t a big deal. It’s £83.75 inc shipping for a set (including valves), so cheaper than Cush but certainly not as cheap as Nukeproof/others.
Are you looking at the Pro version? A box of two Standard inserts with valves is £51.74 inc shipping (AU$94).

teK--

Eats Squid
The whole argument about having to change our cushcore trailside .. why? If there is a hole the sealant won't seal by itself you just put a plug or two in it.

For any bigger gashes a tube would not help you anyway unless you patched the tyre or put a folded note in.

For most cases of an unrepairable flat with cushcore you can always just ride it out, and the insert provides you with enough traction and protection as long as you aren't sending all the features.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The whole argument about having to change our cushcore trailside .. why? If there is a hole the sealant won't seal by itself you just put a plug or two in it.

For any bigger gashes a tube would not help you anyway unless you patched the tyre or put a folded note in.

For most cases of an unrepairable flat with cushcore you can always just ride it out, and the insert provides you with enough traction and protection as long as you aren't sending all the features.
You're somewhat missing the point..... Punctures or not, tyres need to be replaced eventually, simply because they wear out. There is a fundamental problem with a product when it turns a routine five-minute job into an hour-plus ordeal.

PJO

in me vL comy
Not sure what the big deal is. Just like everything there is a knack, once you figured it out it adds a few minutes to getting the tyre on/off. If you don't want to spend those minutes then don't buy cushcore.

I had to change the rim tape the other day, it was at most a 30min job to do the entire process from getting tyre and cushcore off to taping rim and getting everything back on*. Wouldn't worry me if I had to do it trailside, but as said earlier I wouldn't bother and just ride out on the cushcore.

* my cushcore is the right size for my rim.