beeb's ride diary

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
A thread I'll add to over time with any ride videos/edits.

Today's outing was good ol' Youies again, but this time on the SC Highball and a couple of different tracks.

Pretty tentative at the start again, wasn't sure how XC tyres, skinny carbon rims and an 80mm stem would go over the rocks, but it turned out to mostly be okay (almost not at 0:22! :oops:). Bottomed out the rear tyre real hard a couple of times too, but no damage luckily.

Tried to edit the vid down pretty hard but I finally get up to speed about the 4:15 mark - on my way back to the car... :rolleyes:

Clips are from:
- Junction (black section descent)​
- Junction lower (weaving through the trees)​
- Junction (return) "rollercoaster"​
- Lactic Acid (descending)​
- Trilogy (climb)​
- Dam View into Inner Loop​

beeb

Thanks for going to all the trouble with these videos @beeb
No problem at all, I quite enjoy it. Won't be a super regular thing, just trying to keep a track of new places or bikes I ride. Of course now I have to start actually riding different places... :eek::p

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Smooth riding, looks great. I can feel some of the rock gardens from here!

beeb

Great vid @beeb.

That fire road "send" felt HUGE.

Looked like maybe a bike length on the edit

Good stuff
Mate it was a big send, legitimately. The perspective flattens everything a lot, so you don't get much impression of the road dropping away and the speed we were doing... Even down Lactic itself I was only about a 1.5-2M behind you for most sections of the trail, but it looks like I'm 5-10M back, haha. You can zoom it in more so it gives a better impression of the speed and size of features, but then I only seem to get the whole frame filled with track, or it's sky and distant track and it just looks like drone footage.

Last edited:

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice one @beeb and @fjohn860, looked like a ripper time to hit the trails. Nice light.
Lucky the wildlife had second thoughts, could have got interesting otherwise!
Gopro is too smooth, can't even tell you were on a hardtail haha (I think that was the walty?)

beeb

Nice one @beeb and @fjohn860, looked like a ripper time to hit the trails. Nice light.
Lucky the wildlife had second thoughts, could have got interesting otherwise!
Gopro is too smooth, can't even tell you were on a hardtail haha (I think that was the walty?)
Yep, that was on the Waltly. :) It's mostly pretty smooth unless the speed starts to drop too much, then it'll start to hang up on square edges just like any hardtail. But yeah, turn the stabilisation off and it'd be a very different video!

I got a chuckle out of the two different runs through the Cressy rockgardens - the first one (where it's still sunny) was actually our first run for the day and I'm still riding so stiff after the first climb and getting knocked around like crazy, second attempt (rocks in full shade) were so much smoother!

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Mate it was a big send, legitimately. The perspective flattens everything a lot, so you don't get much impression of the road dropping away and the speed we were doing... Even down Lactic itself I was only about a 1-1.5M behind you for most sections of the trail, but it looks like I'm 5-10M back, haha. You can zoom it in more so it gives a better impression of the speed and size of features, but then I only seem to get the whole frame filled with track, or it's sky and distant track and it just looks like drone footage.
Yeah it definitely got the heart rate up.

The old gopro effect.

That Roo looked legitimately close to you though

beeb

That Roo looked legitimately close to you though
Yep, glad it turned around or it would've launched straight into the side of me. I'd nearly stopped for the other one anyway, so wasn't too sketchy luckily.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Mate it was a big send, legitimately. The perspective flattens everything a lot, so you don't get much impression of the road dropping away and the speed we were doing... Even down Lactic itself I was only about a 1.5-2M behind you for most sections of the trail, but it looks like I'm 5-10M back, haha. You can zoom it in more so it gives a better impression of the speed and size of features, but then I only seem to get the whole frame filled with track, or it's sky and distant track and it just looks like drone footage.
No joke, that step down on Lactic at 1:25 looks like nothing from your video - I've almost gone otb on that a few times.

Cool videos, keep 'em coming!

beeb

No joke, that step down on Lactic at 1:25 looks like nothing from your video - I've almost gone otb on that a few times.

Cool videos, keep 'em coming!
Haha, yeah it's tighter coming out than it looks going in. Luckily I'm finally starting to remember to take the drop on the inside line. John still gapped me good through there though - hence my pedal mashing on the way out! :p

beeb

Since I forgot to put a memory card in my GoPro before the mid-week ride (COTFW!), I dug out a random throwback clip to a shuttle day at Falls Creek (opening day last year), with me in front of the camera for a change. It was a dust bowl and I was in struggle-town with a pinched nerve over the plate on my collarbone - but this section is still so damn fun. Long vid sorry...

@fjohn860 - this is the section I was talking about the other days. Looks so mellow in vids but you really get moving in quite a few places!

beeb

Can see why they call it flowtown!
Nice choice of camera bike too haha
Haha, yep. The upper section has a little loose rock, some ledges, and short climbs - but the lower section is all about the rollers. There's only a few spots you need to pedal, as you can mostly just pump for speed. Looks cruisy on vids, but is so much fun to ride!

And yes, that bloke's uncle owned the Trance (and got plenty of fun out of it) but went chasing the carbon bling and bought an SB5, so my mate got the Trance for a good price. It's been a great alrounder for the both of them.

beeb

Went for my second night ride at You Yangs last night - @fjohn860 was along for the ride too (and another non-RB mate during the afternoon part of the ride).

Given we rode Lactic in both the afternoon and night I thought a side by side might be interesting:

Kind of amusing note about editing this - I scaled the playback speed of the two videos so they looked similar side-by-side, but had to did it in several segments because in a couple of (rocky!) sections I was actually faster at night! Most of the trail we were a few percent faster during the day though.

I didn't feel all that fast on either run though tbh - first ride on the new Waltly and don't have it feeling "dialled" yet so felt a bit awkward in a couple of spots. Still a fun ride though. :)

beeb

That's one of the great things about night riding; that focus on the light beam with less distractions can actually really add confidence.
For sure! Well, except for the unexpected wildlife... There was spiders on the ground everywhere (with strange eyes that glinted with green reflections), wallabies and roos in the shrubs, a couple of orb weavers across the trails, and even a few frogs on the trail! o_O (Plus micro-bats flying around occasionally, and various nocturnal birds calling in the trees)

Pretty cool seeing it all come alive though. :)