Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

Minlak

custom titis
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has confirmed that the House will be moving forward with legislation to impeach President Donald Trump, saying the 74-year-old represents an "imminent threat" to democracy.
“In protecting our Constitution and our Democracy, we will act with urgency, because this President represents an imminent threat to both,” Ms Pelosi wrote in a letter to House Democrats.
“As the days go by, the horror of the ongoing assault on our democracy perpetrated by this President is intensified and so is the immediate need for action.”
The articles of impeachment are expected to be introduced on Monday, with a vote possibly happening as soon as Tuesday

Ackland

chats d'élevage
My concern is for a "Section 25" or "Step Down" deal in which "he" goes quietly (for now) in return for a Pence pardon and leaves the door open for 2024.

or that impeachement filing leads to a massive flurry of pardons for cronies and co-conspirators

Minlak

custom titis
My concern is for a "Section 25" or "Step Down" deal in which "he" goes quietly (for now) in return for a Pence pardon and leaves the door open for 2024.

or that impeachement filing leads to a massive flurry of pardons for cronies and co-conspirators
I don't have a source on hand as I have to go out but it seems Trump himself has already put things in place to pardon himself - and apparantly he can do it.
Other issue is that even with impeachment or Section 25 neither of these can be heard by the senate until after the 20th so he technically wont be President then anyway. Bothe scenarios do apparantly leave him open to criminal prosecution - there is a new rumour however he may be moving to Saudi Arabia very shortly so will all be moot and not be able to be reached.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
They are also going to be tabling this against Republicans who egged on the sedition.
The thought of Hawley and Cruz getting put to the sword for what they did last week (in acts of rank opportunism) is pretty epic.
Other issue is that even with impeachment or Section 25 neither of these can be heard by the senate until after the 20th so he technically wont be President then anyway.
Yeah I think the idea is if he is impeached in the House (almost certain) and convicted in the Senate (very unlikely but you never know) he is barred from ever running for any form of Public Office again as well as losing all post-Presidential privileges with the exception of having a security detail.

I think it's pretty moot anyway, fucker has had it. Allies are deserting him en masse which means the financial backing and support will evaporate too. Plus he no longer has a mouthpiece - Twitter has been absolutely critical to him for the last decade and alternatives like Parler look like they're pretty doomed currently. Don Jnr is currently trying to launch a direct email service to the MAGA followers but I doubt that will have anywhere the impact of the live discussion potential and attention of social media.

He might announce a run for 2024 but there's no way he'll follow through with it.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
That should also prevent Trump running for 2024.
Yes, I believe this ins the intention with the impeachment.

I don't have a source on hand as I have to go out but it seems Trump himself has already put things in place to pardon himself - and apparantly he can do it.
He may be able to pardon himself of his federal crimes but he can't pardon state crimes. I'm not fully up to speed with all of his shenanigans (who could be) but I believe there will still be a flurry of state charges coming his way.

moorey

call me Mia

After the other day, I no longer fear that he can ever attract enough votes to be a contender. 20% of the US seemed undecided about him until then. Most seem to have fully made up their minds.

moorey

call me Mia
Yes, I believe this ins the intention with the impeachment.

He may be able to pardon himself of his federal crimes but he can't pardon state crimes. I'm not fully up to speed with all of his shenanigans (who could be) but I believe there will still be a flurry of state charges coming his way.
Indeed. The SDNY is just waiting until January 20, 12.01 to launch.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I wonder what's going on here... it's not hard to run a series of servers independent of the 'big left leaning' (LOL) tech companies... so why aren't they?
I get the feeling that no-one wants to be left holding a smoking gun if things go real south on inauguration day...

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I wonder what's going on here... it's not hard to run a series of servers independent of the 'big left leaning' (LOL) tech companies... so why aren't they?
I get the feeling that no-one wants to be left holding a smoking gun if things go real south on inauguration day...
Possibly. I reckon it might be that plus Trump's stock has plummeted so low that there's now little value or outright toxic to be supporting Trumpism, and / or he's so weakened now there's little threat in pissing him off.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
People are flocking to Gab apparently. They also have their own servers but it will be interesting to see if they're provisioned or who handles their bandwidth. Or indeed their domain..

kbekus

Likes Dirt
There's still a veritable horde in the US firmly in the 'we love Trump' camp... so there's no shortage of money to be made off this mob. If Mercer is willing to fund Brietbart why isn't she willing to forge ahead with her baby Parler?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
There's still a veritable horde in the US firmly in the 'we love Trump' camp... so there's no shortage of money to be made off this mob. If Mercer is willing to fund Brietbart why isn't she willing to forge ahead with her baby Parler?
I'd imagine because Parler is now irrevocably associated with calls to violence and armed insurrection. That literally every element of their support structure dumped them like a wide hot turd yesterday means she's probably decided it's no longer worth throwing good money after bad.

It may come back, but they're now losing momentum to rival "freedom of speech" venues like Gab. Regardless, any venue will need to keep an eye on content now (aka "censorship") so they've got a difficult path to forge. The free market has spoken and contesting election results just isn't cool anymore. Turns out inciting treason is pretty bad for your career. Who knew.