What does your day look like?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I’d more sus if they turn up in a megabucks ranga - and wondering how much they’re overcharging!
I'm cool with tradies being idiot car enthusiasts. Plumber over before Christmas ended up getting an angry phone call from his boss asking why the job was taking so long because we were crapping on about his R32 GTR.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Tradies.

Two occasions I'll never forget.

Grandmother in Gosford was getting house facade quotes from peeps back in the late eighties. I happened to be there when one turned up. He was driving a Ferrari 400i. I told her to skip that bloke.

A house down the road has sold to the Catholic church. Nuns live there now, they obviously require perfection & straight after purchase there has been a steady stream of tradies doing work over the last six months. One fluro-shirt thirty year old turned up in an Audi R8.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Young Bloke next door to me has just started his Apprenticeship ( well in Jan 2020 ) - Yes in Covid - he was on Jobkeeper - has purchased a Hilux 4x4 , has proceeded every week end to add shit to it - wheels , tray , bull bar , aerial etc - never seen anything in the tray ...or even muddy !

ps - i think he has done all right out the ol job keeper - smart lad , has set up his car - i am unsure of what kind of apprentice still .....

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Grandmother in Gosford was getting house facade quotes from peeps back in the late eighties. I happened to be there when one turned up. He was driving a Ferrari 400i. I told her to skip that bloke.
Even if said tradie was earning more than Bezos I'm confident he'd have sent himself bankrupt trying to run a 400i..

The R8 bloke surprises me less. I've got a couple of mates like that and I admire their "eff tomorrow I'm having fun today" strategy. An R8 is certainly a lot more interesting than a house deposit when you're 30.

More broadly, I like living in a country where tradespeople / hairdressers etc. can earn a lot of money because it stops the elitist highly educated wankers like myself from holding all the cards. It separates us from the classist / status obsessed bullshit our English speaking cousins in the UK and US seem to enjoy and gives at least gives a vague pretence of egalitarianism*

*unless you're trying to make a living in the gig economy, in which case you can get fucked apparently.
i am unsure of what kind of apprentice still .....
I believe that would be a drug dealing apprentice.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Ideal for building a CGI Washington or wherever over the top of. It’s not going to be recognisably Canberra.
Which is why I can’t work out why they didn’t jsut use somewhere in Melbourne where the rest of the movie is being done... How was it economical to cart everything up here?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Which is why I can’t work out why they didn’t jsut use somewhere in Melbourne where the rest of the movie is being done... How was it economical to cart everything up here?
Could be a bunch of factors; cleaner streetscape making it easier to attach tracking points could be one, shutting down the CBD in Canberra is probably far cheaper than central Melbourne. You’d be amazed how much councils charge even small productions to do this.

Don’t worry they all still really love Melbourne and Victorians.