What's your chain cleaning routine?

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
im a bit on the slacker side of things ,

heaps of rock n roll lube with a big spin and then wiped dry with every ride and dont do much else ,

put it through a park tool cleaning kit if i think it needs it

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I had a clunking noise from one of my bikes and I even replaced the whole bb and lubed the crank. Took it to the mec to diagnose and he laughed and said new chain. My chain checker (park tools one) didn't register it as worn. I used his park tool CC-2 and it showed it was worn beyond 0.75. Basically the static checkers are rubbish and these days I use a vernier caliper to measure. The interesting thing is from new the chains tend to have different tolerances. Shimano tends to be on the more stretched side and then KMC stuff then YBN. YBN stuff takes a while to run in though if you have a worn drivetrain so keep that in mind.
I’m with you, I don’t trust the pressed metal chain stretch checkers either. If you run quick links, you can simply hang the chain vertically on a 3mm screw through a piece of aluminium angle or similar, then measure down from the centre of the screw hole and mark distances of 50” / 1270mm (100 x 1/2” links, new 0% chain), 1276.5 mm (~0.5%) and 1282.5mm (~1.0%). This way you measure stretch over 100 links with more accuracy. If you rotate chains you can also hang several chains on the screw and compare relative stretch between chains to ensure you are rotating to the least stretched chain.

My cleaning routine is similar to @the Reverend’s; remove chain and put in solvent - although I use turps instead of petrol, agitating it in a plastic tub to try to get as much grit out of the rollers and between the plates. Then it’s wiped down and left to dry - no rinse in water as it will rust a degreased chain. Once refitted to the bike, Squirt lube and off I go. Chain (and bike) get a wash every few rides or when filthy.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I try not to get paralysed by thinking about it. Whenever it's bbb had a few rides and looks like it needs it, I give the bike a full wash and clean the chain with a chain cleaning dooverwhackey and muc off degreaser. Apply squirt lube, wait till it's dry, reapply. Ride.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Me too but since the great geoblocking event of 2018, Consumables cost a lot more than they used to now! :)
Every bike we have has a KMC chain on it, since the geo-blocking farce I only order KMC from Germany.

I buy in bulk and there's always several spares in the parts drawer, entry level chains too, X10, X11 and X12 usually around the 18€ mark.
Cheaper to toss KMC chains at 0.75mm than replace Shimano or Sram chainrings... or god forbid, a 12spd XX1 SRAM cassette.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I’m with you, I don’t trust the pressed metal chain stretch checkers either. If you run quick links, you can simply hang the chain vertically on a 3mm screw through a piece of aluminium angle or similar, then measure down from the centre of the screw hole and mark distances of 50” / 1270mm (100 x 1/2” links, new 0% chain), 1276.5 mm (~0.5%) and 1282.5mm (~1.0%). This way you measure stretch over 100 links with more accuracy. If you rotate chains you can also hang several chains on the screw and compare relative stretch between chains to ensure you are rotating to the least stretched chain.
Are you telling me I just wasted $15.99? At the very least I will be able to quickly check roughly how bad it is compared with riding 2000km without checking. Is the measurement centre to centre of the hole/pin for the 100 link setup? I really like this idea. My old chain was way longer when I replaced it, I was a little amazed, but more ashamed I overlooked it. $220 of cassette and chainring says I don't do that again ;)

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I prefer squirt over everything else I’ve tried. Takes a full degrease/clean to begin with, but after that a quick brush after a ride and a light reapplication every few rides. Found I needed to put about 3 coats on to begin with to get it working right.

Minlak

custom titis
I prefer squirt over everything else I’ve tried. Takes a full degrease/clean to begin with, but after that a quick brush after a ride and a light reapplication every few rides. Found I needed to put about 3 coats on to begin with to get it working right.
I put it on let it sit 15 mins - put more on the first time - Make sure its only a shortish (sub 20KM ) ride first time out then just wipe and lube between rides

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Are you telling me I just wasted $15.99? At the very least I will be able to quickly check roughly how bad it is compared with riding 2000km without checking. Is the measurement centre to centre of the hole/pin for the 100 link setup? I really like this idea. My old chain was way longer when I replaced it, I was a little amazed, but more ashamed I overlooked it. $220 of cassette and chainring says I don't do that again ;)
You didn't waste your money (I've got one too) - they're handy for quickly checking <0.5, <0.75 or rooted. I'm trying to rotate several chains to preserve an expensive cassette and want to be able to see relative stretch between chain 'A' and chain 'B' a bit more accurately so I can swap to the other chain when the one I'm running has stretched more than the other one.

Here's a photo of my measurement method, set up on the steel upright of a set of shelves. Screw at top and a sharpie line 50" below the centre of the hole I drilled for the screw. I actually hung a new chain on the screw and marked off at 100 links to get my new chain mark, then went down about 6mm and 9mm from that mark for the 0.5% and 0.75% marks. I said it was 3mm but as I was faffing around taking these photos, I noticed that he hole in the inside link on the end of the chain is actually a bit bigger than 3mm, resulting in the chain having a bit of play. If you don't have the luxury of a new chain to set the 0% datum line, it would be better to start with a 4mm screw and file the threads down a bit so the chain just fits over it without any play.

The chain in photo has about 0.2-0.3% stretch - it normally hangs straight at the bottom but I've pushed it to one side so you can see the markings on the steel shelf upright. There's a super magnet on the inside of he upright which is why the bottom end of the chain appears to be defying gravity.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Are you telling me I just wasted $15.99?
I have 2 cheapies, they are ancient, both read exactly the same at 0.75mm.

Anything is better than nothing.

I love @Nambra set up but mine works for me at this time.

Get a system that works to save you $$$, throw chains out and save your drivetrain, they are expendable parts... hard to do when everything is going well :D

Cassettes and chainrings are expensive !

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
2 x KMC X10 chains and a chain checker for $52 at AliExpress! Now I'm staring at the checkout page wondering if I should do it or not... Does anyone else do this?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
You didn't waste your money (I've got one too)
Same. One of the quirks is that when the chain wears the weakest link generally starts wearing and then accelerates so it's common for a chain to read normal in one section but have one or a few links absolutely shagged. This caused a clunking noise in my drivetrain.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
New chain time! I think I'll get one chain to rotate because that should work well with the waxing regime. I probably should get the same type of chain? I got a YBN because I was ordering some other stuff from Ram and they had the 11 speed fancy one.

Same. One of the quirks is that when the chain wears the weakest link generally starts wearing and then accelerates so it's common for a chain to read normal in one section but have one or a few links absolutely shagged. This caused a clunking noise in my drivetrain.
Cool so if I measure at a few sections that would also give me a better picture.

Aside, the blocks of wax feel very slippery which I guess is the graphene content. Hopefully the Pushys package arrives tomorrow so I can get it happening for the weekend.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i find the Xt / Xtr cassettes has a coating which really does make them last - as long as the chain is okay .
Sticks , mud and water really mess the drivetrain up .

And yeah , different bits of chain do have varying wear patterns

I have a fancy park tool chain checker - its Ace !