So whats the deal with 4x these dayz?

dissa

Likes Dirt
Been off the bike for 10 years n just came out of my cave to find not a trace of any 4X action in Australia. Did I miss something?
Yours truly...
Dissa

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I was always confused how it didn't become a more popular aspect of the sport. It is (comparatively) cheaper and more accessible than most other genres while featured a lot of the good stuff jammed into a fast paced event.
Fairly befuddling isn't it. Great watching from a spectators point of view too, heaps of action and you can watch it from start to finish from one spot.

I wonder if the similarities to bmx was ultimately it's downfall? In that it failed to distinguish itself enough from another established sport?

...solid topic, I've wondered this plenty of times

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
The death nail for 4X in Australia was when the UCI dropped it, numbers were already low prior but after that any remaining interest dried up pretty quickly.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Do many people have access to 4x tracks outside of races? Makes it a bit hard for the average rider to get into and makes it more dedicated to an event.

moorey

call me Mia
Do many people have access to 4x tracks outside of races? Makes it a bit hard for the average rider to get into and makes it more dedicated to an event.
Yep. Also pretty hard to make a good 4x track. We were in negotiations with Glen Jacobs (pre Worldtrails) to make one at Black Hill in Ballarat in the early 00’s, but council approval and price ended up torpedoing it.
While good DH and XC tracks aren’t easy to make, it’s easy enough to scratch a track in and ride with your mates, unlike a 4x or dual slalom track.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The future of MTB in city area is likely to be smaller urban bike parks that could suit 4x again. The larger scale bike parks seem to only get up in areas away from the mass populations.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
the 4X track at Stromlo is still there (from the Worlds 2008), but not worth riding..no maintenance and badly erroded.
If you come off, the razor sharp shale would see you off to hospital right good and proper!

Last edited:

LPG

likes thicc birds
The future of MTB in city area is likely to be smaller urban bike parks that could suit 4x again. The larger scale bike parks seem to only get up in areas away from the mass populations.
Very true. I agree it would be good but I don't expect it to get across the line with bureaucracy. It seems that most mtb infrastructure gets through by promising family friendly, what challenging trails there are only get by tacking them on to family fun tracks. In your scenario there isn't likely enough space for both and we know who will lose out. (Or they would go for a skate park instead)

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Not enough people. The average mtber got sick of being destroyed by bmx racers haha, those lads are quick!

Last state round I went to had 15 or so people line up. Couldn’t even cover the onsite ambo cost.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very true. I agree it would be good but I don't expect it to get across the line with bureaucracy. It seems that most mtb infrastructure gets through by promising family friendly, what challenging trails there are only get by tacking them on to family fun tracks. In your scenario there isn't likely enough space for both and we know who will lose out. (Or they would go for a skate park instead)
Yep, Once the bureaucracy takes over you end up with something like this:
https://our.wollongong.nsw.gov.au/50575/widgets/266313/documents/120638/download
It will be interesting to see how it turns out as it is in my local area. Family friendly extends past the trails and becomes toilets, bbqs a cafes/bar and even free wifi was floated for this project.
Then they have to please all the non MTB riders and the environmentalist for a site that was an industrial was land.
The plan includes challenging trails for all skill levels but it won’t include the type of trails I mostly ride on our informal network. I guess there is potential for short course style races which will be good overall.
The best part about this plan is that it is close to some pretty fine Burek shops so the post ride feed will awways be good.

LPG

likes thicc birds
https://our.wollongong.nsw.gov.au/50575/widgets/266313/documents/120638/download
It will be interesting to see how it turns out as it is in my local area. Family friendly extends past the trails and becomes toilets, bbqs a cafes/bar and even free wifi was floated for this project.
Then they have to please all the non MTB riders and the environmentalist for a site that was an industrial was land.
The plan includes challenging trails for all skill levels but it won’t include the type of trails I mostly ride on our informal network. I guess there is potential for short course style races which will be good overall.
The best part about this plan is that it is close to some pretty fine Burek shops so the post ride feed will awways be good.
We're probably riding the same trails. Once those trails at Cringilla are I'll be driving past Cringilla on my way to ride the excellent network of trails that should have been formalised but haven't. Atleast the trails haven't been compromised to suit nonriders.

dissa

Likes Dirt
In Perth we have a public track in the hills and a accessible tracks out of the city...I wonder if the dual shox enduro/trail industry has not provided enough bikes for fast technical close competitions to push new products into our homes...Maybe no one wants to trash their $6000 trail steed in close contact.
There seems to be nothing after supercross BMX...unless your heading to the cruisie park sessions or free ride parks which are even harder to find here in Oz. Noticed cruiser class 24inch has almost disappeared and that is the largest bike at BMX level comps...wonder why 26inch single speed hasn't been the next addition to the club scene at established tracks.
I got nothing...
Did 27.5 make it almost impossible to pick up a decent short track bike or even parts for the existing steed?
Might just start a casual monthly meet up in the cooler months...stir up some vendors and run some non rule book racing.

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
What's the bet it will be known as "Cringe-y Hills" ? :(

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We're probably riding the same trails. Once those trails at Cringilla are I'll be driving past Cringilla on my way to ride the excellent network of trails that should have been formalised but haven't. Atleast the trails haven't been compromised to suit nonriders.
I don’t realize you were in the Gong area as well. Still a bit to go on the escarpment project. It’s now down to about 30 km stage 1 and no one is refering to it as world class any more. I am still optimistic that it will be great. No 4x in the plan as far as I have seen.

What's the bet it will be known as "Cringe-y Hills" ? :(
Haha it is already is a bit Cringey there.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
the 4X track at Stromlo is still there (from the Worlds 2008), but not worth riding..no maintenance and badly erroded.
If you come off, the razor sharp shale would see you off to hospital right good and proper!
saw my first track at eagle mtb pk friday past, seems cool to be able to race your mates down a short track with mix of berms/rocks/jumps..the one at eagle was also a bit rough in places, some biggish rocks just lying around and the outside line just seemed to end in a super tight u turn, while the inside line had a nice wide cnr or berm to get around the 2nd cnr

dissa

Likes Dirt
Only one of the WA tracks has government funding...more of a land management grant program...the others are on Private land and maintained by enthusiasts.
The general boom over here has been Single track and Skate parks in and around the city. A few BMX tracks have been demolished in Perth even with the growth of the City. Maintenance and sustainability seems to be a big factor in the survival of any proposals.
concrete and Dirt glue being used a fair bit more rather than raw earth designs.