Bike cage etiquette

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So - if I turn up to the cinema late, is it ok to move the people seated where I want to sit even though they got there first?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
So - is it ok to move someone's bike if they have parked where you usually want to, but they got there first?
No. But if it happens again, attach two of your widest bar mountain bikes next to it and they will think twice about that spot next time.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Get a disposable lock and next time they do it just lock their bike to the post, make sure you leave early that day. I have had this happen to me a few times at a few different places, I usually don't care where I park but when this happens I start coming in early and locking my bike to their spot everyday.

Alexxx

Likes Dirt
I wouldn't be to happy if someone took my spot at work. I've wrapped that part of the bike rack in old tubes so my bike doesn't get scratched up.
But because I'm so precious about my bike I wouldn't actually do anything if someone took my spot from fear that they know which bike is normally there and they might be willing to take it further than I would.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I wouldn't be to happy if someone took my spot at work. I've wrapped that part of the bike rack in old tubes so my bike doesn't get scratched up.
But because I'm so precious about my bike I wouldn't actually do anything if someone took my spot from fear that they know which bike is normally there and they might be willing to take it further than I would.
I guess I see commuter bikes like work Ute's. You see the tradies and farmers that really use a work Ute and then you see the guys who won't drive onto a site because they don't want to get dirt on their Ford Ranger with super special wheels and expensive paint job and led bar light blah blah blah. It's a work Ute if you don't want to get it dirty leave it in the garage. Just my 2c, also I ride a $30 commuter because I leave my Ford Ranger in the garage at home.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Thats your spot regardless of who got there first, roll their shitter out of the way and park your steed.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
But why is it your spot? In a cage with limited space why do you get preference? Honest question?
I was a little tongue-in-cheek but yeah; I won several discus and shotput comps when I was a wee lad, I reckon I could take whoever thinks they should park in my spot.

*Disclaimer: I've never put a bike in a cage.

Minlak

custom titis
But why is it your spot? In a cage with limited space why do you get preference? Honest question?
Its actually a respect thing - If you have been parking (bike or car) in a certain spot for an extended period of time then respectfully that becomes your spot. I would avoid other peoples spots as I would expect them to avoid mine. The catch is when new people start and have no idea obviously on the pecking order.

In this case however he hasn't been commuting for like 100 years maybe he is now taking some one else's spot?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Its actually a respect thing - If you have been parking (bike or car) in a certain spot for an extended period of time then respectfully that becomes your spot. I would avoid other peoples spots as I would expect them to avoid mine. The catch is when new people start and have no idea obviously on the pecking order.
ahahhahaha no. that's just typical middle-aged male bullshit. pecking order? please. spots are spots, take the best one you can get when you rock up, don't touch other people's shit.