What does your day look like?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
(Last night) 30mm long whitetail spider (I don't mind most spiders and let them cohibitate with me in my house, but these can get f***ed!)

Funky looking wasp on the leaves of a dwarf strawberry plant at Mum's:

The male of the pair of butcherbirds that hang around there too (this one will take food from your hand too :) )

Some extra residents for my garden pond:

And the "lettuce leaf" basil plant Mum gave me a while back (I've never seen anything like it before, but it's living up to its name!):

beeb

We're the same. We'll let most creatures do their thing, but those mongrels can die a horrible death. Red Backs too. Generally if it's black, it gets flat.
Strangely I (mostly) don't get redbacks at my place (except in my compost bin for some reason, they like it in there). I get quite a few types of jumping spiders (the common brown ones are always patrolling about the house in good numbers), wolf spiders, the occasional Huntsman, a few (different types of) orb weavers, and a quadrillion daddy-long legs in my house doing their utmost to keep things insect-free.

Oh and there's some random other species that run around the footpath in the street on warm summer nights. And I mean run. Haphazard wild arcing turns at about 30kph. Look similar to a Huntsman, but I've never seen a Huntsman move like them. They scare the bejeezus out of me when I wander over to the local shops late at night as they lurk in the shadows then take-off when you're stepping above then, leaving me ending up doing a stupid dance trying to avoid treading on them while trying to avoid them running up my legs! Species as yet undetermined as it's always too dark to tell what they are. I had been thinking maybe wolf spider when I first spotted a couple of them, but I saw more later that were (I assume) too big for that being they were about 50mm across. Anyway, them belting around the footpath every which way is a bit too much excitement for me late at night... o_O

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
We should start a 'Wildlife on the trail' thread, there's a massive one on MTBR that has went for years now.

Though its interesting to the Yanks, seeing kangaroos, emus, snakes and koalas.

Those blokes have bears, cougars and wolves.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Oh and there's some random other species that run around the footpath in the street on warm summer nights. And I mean run. Haphazard wild arcing turns at about 30kph. Look similar to a Huntsman, but I've never seen a Huntsman move like them. They scare the bejeezus out of me when I wander over to the local shops late at night as they lurk in the shadows then take-off when you're stepping above then, leaving me ending up doing a stupid dance trying to avoid treading on them while trying to avoid them running up my legs! Species as yet undetermined as it's always too dark to tell what they are. I had been thinking maybe wolf spider when I first spotted a couple of them, but I saw more later that were (I assume) too big for that being they were about 50mm across. Anyway, them belting around the footpath every which way is a bit too much excitement for me late at night... o_O
Pimp spider, they are called. Stop wandering the streets at night.

beeb

Few other random spiders from over the last year or so:

An unusual orb weaver hanging over my pond. These camouflage themselves as a seedheed on grass during the day:

Wolf spider (I think?). I just liked the GT stripe!

Two for one deal:

One of the less common jumping spiders:

And a bonus moth that seems to be camouflaged to blend in with prickle-bushes. It was only about 15mm across, but incredibly intricately detailed. Photo quality is poo though sadly... (oh, and the wings were undamaged despite looking tattered)

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Strangely I (mostly) don't get redbacks at my place (except in my compost bin for some reason, they like it in there). I get quite a few types of jumping spiders (the common brown ones are always patrolling about the house in good numbers), wolf spiders, the occasional Huntsman, a few (different types of) orb weavers, and a quadrillion daddy-long legs in my house doing their utmost to keep things insect-free.

We name the Huntsmans that take residence in the house, with a verbal agreement to Mrs George that if they are below head height they get trapped and released. Watched one grow over 6 months

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
We should start a 'Wildlife on the trail' thread, there's a massive one on MTBR that has went for years now.

Though its interesting to the Yanks, seeing kangaroos, emus, snakes and koalas.

Those blokes have bears, cougars and wolves.
Is that the thread where they talk about which gun they take riding for personal protection?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
We name the Huntsmans that take residence in the house, with a verbal agreement to Mrs George that if they are below head height they get trapped and released. Watched one grow over 6 months
Similar policy, except here it's if they end up in bedrooms they get (harmlessly) evicted. We had one called Spencer years ago that did an excellent job at mosquito removal and lived exclusively in the air con vent in the living room. He/she was awesome, got pretty big though but respected boundaries so it was okay.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Is that the thread where they talk about which gun they take riding for personal protection?
This was a huge debate with the South African guys - but more so about the jackings rather than the wildlife (I do miss baboons, boks and caracals though!)

A few of them did carry while riding, and others were more about just handing over everything and walking away...

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yeah my mate Stephan in South Africa who raced 24 hour marathon events, carried a 50 cal hand gun. Only ever pulled it from its bar mounted holster once.

Only in SA, bikes are weighed without pedals or hand guns.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Can't remember any gun talk but given the option, I would carry one and bear spray.
This was a huge debate with the South African guys - but more so about the jackings rather than the wildlife (I do miss baboons, boks and caracals though!)

A few of them did carry while riding, and others were more about just handing over everything and walking away...

Was pretty sure if seen the thread on an American site, might even have been posted on here s while back. I was a lot of talk about what size hand gun etc people were carrying in case of beasts or thieves, and then how do you carry it? Can't quickly pull one out of a backpack...

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
a lot of talk about what size hand gun etc people were carrying in case of beasts or thieves, and then how do you carry it? Can't quickly pull one out of a backpack...
20 gauge Mossberg shotgun clipped to the fork leg. One Israeli dude I met said his handgun was holstered on the head tube or between the crowns depending on the bike...