mid travel 29er suggestions

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
The 240 18t sounds like a pissed off badly idling tractor when freewheeling. I like it.

I've had 4 Hope sets as well (2x Pro 2s, 2x Pro 4s - wasn't meant to have a second Pro4 but the first wheelset got stolen). They are unbeatable vfm and put up with heinous treatment but the engagement is noticeably slower imo than i9s / CKs / P321s. But they're also less than half the price. I actually don't understand how Hope has a profitable business model.

From a casual internet search it looks like the new XTR hubs are pretty good value at only a little bit more than Pro4s - but then you're welded to Microspline...

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
You're supposed to wait untill the PYR and then tell me it's nice, but it'd be better with hopes...

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Transformational... probably none. Like I said, I have a 350 rear and I rate it. But minor benefits I see:
  • worth more on resale (if I sell at some point)
  • lighter (meh, some grams...)
  • wider placed DS bearing (marginally stiffer?)
  • stainless bearings (longer service life)
  • wank bling factor
  • newer design (maybe parts available for more years)
I could save $80 or so getting 350 instead of hope (or save $250 over 240s) if I stick with the 18t ratchet. Then again, could get DT 350s with a 54t ratchet kit for about the same price as the hope set. And keep the stock 18t ratchets spare in case the 54t explodes under my immense watts like the interwebs says it will... 54t buzz might be nice...

Felt up some i9 hydras this morning at the local shop. But didn't like the sticker shock.
I've got 240's, 350's, Hope4's and Spank Hex in my stable at the moment.
  • The extra money for 240's is pure wank, the weight is at the centre of the wheel. Run a lighter valve cap, it will make more difference but your mates with S-Works' will rag on you
  • I've never damaged a 54T ratchet in 5 years
  • The seal thing on Hopes is a pain but other than that they are great
  • Spanks are loud AF but nice
I would spend the extra on the best rims / spokes you can afford and just run 350's, fuck S-Works riders.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Transition spur looks really good would love to give one a go. Purple is hard to hide... Time to paint the other 2 purple I guess.
Got an email back from Super Sports (Transition distributor) no Spur frames until June....FFS
Back to the drawing board, GG have emailed me and Trail Pistols are in stock but I'm not convinced it will be lively enough for me.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Got an email back from Super Sports (Transition distributor) no Spur frames until June....FFS
Back to the drawing board, GG have emailed me and Trail Pistols are in stock but I'm not convinced it will be lively enough for me.
It’s only a little wait. It’ll be worth it right?

dirtdad

The extra money for 240's is pure wank, the weight is at the centre of the wheel. Run a lighter valve cap, it will make more difference but your mates with S-Works' will rag on you
well it was about that time... I realised this girl scout was 8 storeys tall and was a crustacean from the paleozoic era...
And I said dammit monster get out my lounge I ain't got no tree fiddy!!

Bad time to update that my 240 exps + stans arch have just shipped?!?

None of my mates have s-works, and I never run valve caps...
Oh fuck. That makes me the wanker in the group - lol!

Still costing me less than the wheelset I could have got built locally with tree fiddies.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Hang on a sec...aren't you a Med/Large...How's about you buy the the TP just as a gap filler, then when you take delivery of the Spur I'll happily take the obviously inferior frame off your hands ...just to do you a favour like.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hang on a sec...aren't you a Med/Large...How's about you buy the the TP just as a gap filler, then when you take delivery of the Spur I'll happily take the obviously inferior frame off your hands ...just to do you a favour like.
If you are serious then PM me, we can work something out. I'm 5'9" so Medium/Large is my size

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Nah. was said purely in jest, I'm pretty well sorted in this segment.

So many good bikes to choose from atm, that Spur does look a ripper though.

dirtdad

Q for other Banshee Prime owners...

Do I need boost cranks (eg m8120 with 55mm chainline) or will the 51/52mm non boost cranks work ok on the v3 banshee frameset?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Nice ! 120mm rear and 130-140mm fork.