The QUICK question thread.....

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
CL is really nice from an ease of use perspective and a nice clean interface etc. I'm not an engineer but I'd also guess there's mechanical benefit in the spline interface over six bolts holding two flat surfaces together.

But, it's not sufficiently better to go hunting for. If you end up with DT wheels with CL hubs then just run the adapters until it's time to replace your brake rotors, then go to CL.
Chris King have gone centelock only on their hubs now. Not sure on their reasoning. Perhaps so they can sell over priced matching adaptors. :D

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Anyone got one of these? Crap? Ok for the price?

For the money will add padding - but no tie downs by the looks of it to hold bike in place - relying on gravity it seems
I've had an older evoc pad that never had tie down points. During actual shuttles it isn't an issue.

But if I put bikes on it when travelling, I use one of these boat straps between the back two tub tie down points and then a cam buckle per bike, over the top tube and under the boat strap. The bikes never move.

Minlak

custom titis
I've had an older evoc pad that never had tie down points. During actual shuttles it isn't an issue.

But if I put bikes on it when travelling, I use one of these boat straps between the back two tub tie down points and then a cam buckle per bike, over the top tube and under the boat strap. The bikes never move.
Yeah I had a pad that had the tie downs on the pad itself - If i was travelling any distance I still tied the bikes down by the seat post to the tray.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
So for the first time ever I have to create a chain from new on a new bike not just replace one - So this means I have to size it - I have looked at all the guides and you put it on the chain ring and the largest rear sprocket and then add 4 links for a dual suspension bike and then hope you got it right and check it by cycling the suspension. Ok not rocket surgery but it got me thinking.
If I was to thread the chain onto the chainring through the derailleur and onto the smallest cog on the rear - measure that and remove 1 extra link that would put some tension on the chain from the derailleur. - Wouldn't that in effect be the best way as you have no chance of making the chain too short?
Obviously its not a high pivot bike that needs extra chain length and the old chain had to go around a 51 rear and now its only a 47 rear - the second new chain is on a hardtail so that's easier.
Google it

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So for the first time ever I have to create a chain from new on a new bike not just replace one - So this means I have to size it - I have looked at all the guides and you put it on the chain ring and the largest rear sprocket and then add 4 links for a dual suspension bike and then hope you got it right and check it by cycling the suspension. Ok not rocket surgery but it got me thinking.
If I was to thread the chain onto the chainring through the derailleur and onto the smallest cog on the rear - measure that and remove 1 extra link that would put some tension on the chain from the derailleur. - Wouldn't that in effect be the best way as you have no chance of making the chain too short?
Obviously its not a high pivot bike that needs extra chain length and the old chain had to go around a 51 rear and now its only a 47 rear - the second new chain is on a hardtail so that's easier.
If you're doing Shimano 12sp, check the relevant (derailleur) installation manual, the number of links is different to the time-honoured 11sp stuff. The manual is very clear and easy to follow and can be found online.

Minlak

custom titis
If you're doing Shimano 12sp, check the relevant (derailleur) installation manual, the number of links is different to the time-honoured 11sp stuff. The manual is very clear and easy to follow and can be found online.
Luckily the 12 spd stuff is on the Hardtail so that’s pretty straight forward

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Is there a site he could possibly go to that might help him find the manual?

safreek

Hi guys, finally starting the GT build. The headset was supplied with the frame. My quest is to find out about a couple of parts. I'm assuming that the 2 lower bits are for the fork race depending on 1.5 or 1 1/8. The bit that has me confused is the silver round bit, it's sort of wavy. Any ideas of where that bits go

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hi guys, finally starting the GT build. The headset was supplied with the frame. My quest is to find out about a couple of parts. I'm assuming that the 2 lower bits are for the fork race depending on 1.5 or 1 1/8. The bit that has me confused is the silver round bit, it's sort of wavy. Any ideas of where that bits goView attachment 372460
Lower bits are 1 1/8 a d top bits are 1.5. This frame was from gt's experimental period, they tried to run a reverse taper fork.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
To stop the pretty top cap from being clamped down onto the top tube, stopping the whole lot turning.
One of those bits that can be "left over" when reinstalling forks. Some frames don't seem to need it. No fouling on the head tube. Others... You can ride in a straight line maybe.

moorey

call me Mia
Hey jerks, just checking with the Oracles on something....was thinking of making a Vic (and related) gravity MTB calendar page on FB. It’s always hard keeping track of all the events (at least for me), and haven’t seen a page already doing this, has anyone already seen one doing this before I double up?

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Hey jerks, just checking with the Oracles on something....was thinking of making a Vic (and related) gravity MTB calendar page on FB. It’s always hard keeping track of all the events (at least for me), and haven’t seen a page already doing this, has anyone already seen one doing this before I double up?
Who are you hoping will see this news feed?

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Who are you hoping will see this news feed?

Anyone who wants to. It will be a public page. I’ll add events I know of, people can let me know of others.
MTBA calendar is a nightmare to navigate and misses a lot of events. AusCycling isn’t rocking yet. Many club pages have info hard to find.
It will force me to keep on top of my own families event diary, and hopefully make it easier for others.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Anyone who wants to. It will be a public page. I’ll add events I know of, people can let me know of others.
MTBA calendar is a nightmare to navigate and misses a lot of events. AusCycling isn’t rocking yet. Many club pages have info hard to find.
It will force me to keep on top of my own families event diary, and hopefully make it easier for others.
What I mean posts won't be visible on fb, because they are 'news'.

Minlak

custom titis
What I mean posts won't be visible on fb, because they are 'news'.

huh????? @moorey can just make a facebook page call it maybe - VIC MTBA RACING CALANDAR make it public and boom anyone can see it . its not news - If people try to link news articles to it from recognised news sites they can't