Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
It's more of a farm truck than Mrs George's Colorado!

It is just a cheap, sorta-old little 4x2 Rodeo for me to use for my side hustle when Mrs George needs the Good Car.
If it’s not a series 1 Landy or a Sherp or a Unimog I’m not interested...

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
#thankfuckforthat

Still not as unrestricted as SA though.
Ha, it has improved though. Still remember as a kid coming to SA from NSW and getting the impression it was where every rusty Sigma / Gemini / Laser / 200B in the world had come to retire / die in glorious black plumes of carby leaded petrol ozone hate. Ahh the good ol days..

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nsu ro80 ?
if it is and I’m not wearing my glasses ...
ask the driver if his name is Adam .
I worked with a freek who was right into weird shit and used to keep it all in Canberra at his parents .

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Nsu ro80 ?
if it is and I’m not wearing my glasses ...
ask the driver if his name is Adam .
I worked with a freek who was right into weird shit and used to keep it all in Canberra at his parents .
Sure is. Nope, fellow by the name of Craig. Yes I followed him and stopped to say hi...

Sadly it has a 12A in it, but he has another he restoring with a proper NSU Wankel in it.

I know of one other one in Canberra, but sounds like there might be another?!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Finally got it done!

Been procrastinating this task (rear beam bush replacement) because it requires disconnecting the brake lines & getting the old bushing out has proved a total nightmare for some.

Had a mate supply a perfect ID tube to use in a threaded rod in situ press. Worked a dream!

Haven’t driven it yet. Hope it’s better, hope the NVH hit isn’t bad!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Megane has been driving me nuts today... I had a quick inlet manifold gasket repair to do and a couple of last assembly items and then it was going to be parked and I’d spend the day assembling the orange. No...

Stumbling idle, cycles up and down. Typing vacuum leak I thought, hence new manifold o rings. Nope. Fuck... Swap electric throttle body over, no joy. Fuel filter had to be done anyway, nope. Shit. Plug in computer, it’s got a misfire when it stumbles. Coils swapped, nope. Plugs - no. Shit. Fuel pump sounds like it’s changing tone with idle fluctuations - that’s a shit of a job with a full tank... Oh well, the spare pump from the old car is new and this one is unknown so that’s get swapped. I smell like petrol now... No joy. Double fuck.

Still on the misfire thing, so pull rail and injectors and squirt them out with carb cleaner. Nope. Now im getting annoyed. Cam dephaser can muck with idle, even though it was fine last time the engine ran in the other car. Swap for spare. No. Hotwire it with engine “idling”. Nope, runs worse when activate, so it’s as it’s supposed to be - inactive at idle.

Back to basics. Run throttle body initialisation again. Pull Pcv valve and check, plug hole to see if it was leaking. Do same for brake booster line, canister purge line, MAP sensor. Nope.

I think I can hear an intermittent hiss somewhere when it stumbles and tries to stall. Last thing to try tomorrow is run glue along the seams of the plastic inlet manifold in case maybe it got dropped while it was off the car and split a seam...

After that, dunno... I swapped the crank angle sensor just in case, and then it’s a computer problem. It ran fine when it was last turned off... And it starts well and idles well when cold for about 30 seconds - if the flywheel signal teeth or the computer was bad it wouldn’t run well at all I’d have thought.

So no progress on the orange....

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Megane has been driving me nuts today... I had a quick inlet manifold gasket repair to do and a couple of last assembly items and then it was going to be parked and I’d spend the day assembling the orange. No...

Stumbling idle, cycles up and down. Typing vacuum leak I thought, hence new manifold o rings. Nope. Fuck... Swap electric throttle body over, no joy. Fuel filter had to be done anyway, nope. Shit. Plug in computer, it’s got a misfire code. Coils swapped, nope. Plugs - no. Shit. Fuel pump sounds like it’s changing tone with idle fluctuations - that’s a shit of a job with a full tank... Oh well, the spare pump from the old car is new and this one is unknown so that’s get swapped. I smell like petrol now... No joy. Double fuck.

Still on the misfire thing, so pull rail and injectors and squirt them out with carb cleaner. Nope. Now im getting annoyed. Cam dephaser can muck with idle, even though it was fine last time the engine ran in the other car. Swap for spare. No. Hotwire it with engine “idling”. Nope, runs worse when activate, so it’s as it’s supposed to be - inactive at idle.

Back to basics. Run throttle body initialisation again. Pull Pcv valve and check, plug hole to see if it was leaking. Do same for brake booster line, canister purge line, MAP sensor. Nope.

I think I can hear an intermittent hiss somewhere when it stumbles and tries to stall. Last thing to try tomorrow is run glue along the seams of the plastic inlet manifold in case maybe it got dropped while it was off the car and split a seam...

After that, dunno... I swapped the crank angle sensor just in case, and then it’s a computer problem. It ran fine when it was last turned off... And it starts well and idles well when cold for about 30 seconds - if the flywheel signal teeth or the computer was bad it wouldn’t run well at all I’d have thought.

So no progress on the orange....
Spray the areas that you think are leaking with CRC or carbie clean, you'll notice if there's an air leak.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Spray the areas that you think are leaking with CRC or carbie clean, you'll notice if there's an air leak.
Yep, tried that. Catch is the seam of the two halves of the manifold that are bonded together are not accessible even with the tube on the carb cleaner can nozzle... Even did the hillbilly stethoscope with one end of a tube in an ear and the other fed under looking for the leak (I got really good at this learning to balance twin SU carbs back in the day...). It’s an elusive leak if that’s what wrong.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
How good are cars!

Anyway, test drive shows rear beam bushes have next to no NVH hit & the outcome to steering precision & chassis stability is what I'm after. Sweet!
Glad someone had a win!

A couple test drives today also reminded me why I’d taken out the Eibach springs and gone back to OEM springs on the old car - they’re shit and too low and smash the bump stops. Not sure why I forgot about that and thought I’d use them again with this car... This series of megane do sit quite high standard, but they don’t like to be lowered...

So will add that to the job list if I ever get the fucker running properly!