mid travel 29er suggestions

Petero

Likes Dirt

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Q for other Banshee Prime owners...

Do I need boost cranks (eg m8120 with 55mm chainline) or will the 51/52mm non boost cranks work ok on the v3 banshee frameset?
It's all in the chainring offset. 3mm for Boost I believe and 6mm for non boost.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
It's exxy - for some reason Pivots always have been. An XTR groupset isn't that much, something like $3k vs $1.2k for XT.

Minlak

custom titis
They do start cheaper in the ball park of similar bikes.

With Race builds, Enduro builds, Live Valve and carbon wheel upgrade options, there’s a total of 20 different configurations for the Trail 429. Yes, twenty! Prices start at $8,499 AUD for the Race XT build, and go all the way up to $18,999 AUD for the Team XX1 AXS Live build that has all the batteries

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Propain Hugene looks pretty good, in terms of geo and FWIW a positive review by enduro-mtb
No Shimano builds or frame only option from the Aus. dealer according to their website.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
It's all in the chainring offset. 3mm for Boost I believe and 6mm for non boost.
I looked into this, M8100 cranks have a 172mm Q factor and are for 142 and 148 frames with a 52mm chainline, prioritising narrowest Q factor.

M8120 cranks have a 178mm Q factor and are for 148 boost frames with a 55mm chain line, prioritising frame and tyre clearance.

I am not sure how this is achieved as you buy the crank and chainring separately and the chainring is simply called XT. Must be the crank to chainring interface and offset arms.

Would be nice to see the M8100, M8120 and M8130 beside each other to confirm.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Xt 8100 won’t run a spacer where 8120 and 8130 do. I’m running 8130 and 9120 and both run spacer and 9120 have the updated preload nut. The mt900 has no spacer and runs the old preload nut these are 52 chain line and are essentially xt 8100 cranks.
A good bloke would pull his cranks off and post some photos. I may or may not be that good guy on the weekend.

Last edited:

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Thanks guys. that's more than I had been able to find.

Looks like banshee might be able to run the smaller q factor cranks from their site. I had been looking for chainline info, but they mention q-factor here:

I've emailed them anyway to confirm.

Minlak

custom titis
Xt 8100 won’t run a spacer where 8120 and 8130 do. I’m running 8130 and 9120 and both run spacer and 9120 have the updated preload nut. The mt900 has no spacer and runs the old preload nut these are 52 chain line and are essentially xt 8100 cranks.
A good bloke would pull his cranks off and post some photos. I may or may not be that good guy on the weekend.
Which cranks do you need photos of? I have a set of 8100 here new in box

ozzybmx

M8120-1, comes with 2 x 3mm spacers with a lip on them.

Does this mean my M8120 spindle is 6mm longer than the M8100 ?

It would make sense that Shimano would only have to fit a longer spindle rather than adjust the angle of crank arms or make different chainrings.

Petero

Likes Dirt
Exactamundo... (Yes)
Yup, from my looksie you basically choose the q-factor you want, and get the given chainline. Ie. you can't have 178 q factor cranks with a 52mm chainline, shimano says you need 55mm. Which seems like a PITA vs sram/raceface offset chainring options.

Somebody plz advise otherwise if I'm mistaken.

ozzybmx

Yup, from my looksie you basically choose the q-factor you want, and get the given chainline. Ie. you can't have 178 q factor cranks with a 52mm chainline, shimano says you need 55mm. Which seems like a PITA vs sram/raceface offset chainring options.

Somebody plz advise otherwise if I'm mistaken.
My new frame specifies 52mm chainline which is M8100, I have went with the M8120 which is 55mm... it will work ok.

I prefer a bigger Q factor... I'll just deal with the 3mm out, if its that big a deal, I can space it 1-2mm using spindle spacers.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Spindle length for mt900 or 8100 cranks from chainring locking nut 115mm, 8130 is 124mm I’m to lazy to pull off 9120 cranks. All in the spacers