Google message

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
It's not a simple choice or a free choice for many people given how culturally ingrained that type of media is.
Maybe people need to question whether being culturally ingrained is a good thing ?
They are just complying with what Bookface has proscribed .
I am sure there are alternative models and paying a nominal fee would not be a bad thing.
For example I am happy to pay a modest fee for social media that has no ads, or stupid clickbait and has moderators eg ski.com and Crikey.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Facebook being the biggest fish in the sea doesn't mean they should have the responsibility of keeping the public informed heaped on them. If it was a government run platform, then sure, we should have a say. But it's a private entity that runs for profit. Tax the fark out of them for sure, but you can't tell them they have to display certain content and that they have to pay for it too. They're an entertainment network FFS, they're here for shits and giggles, a distraction from doing spreadsheets and talking to family.

At the end of the day, what leverage does the government have here? They want to force Facebook to display and pay for certain content, but Facebook just pulls the content. Australian media is telling us that we're all mighty angry about this because we use Facebook for everything. But what can "we" do, what do "we" hold over Facebook? We could go full North Korea and block it with a national filter I guess, but aren't we all going to be just as angry or angrier then?

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Eagerly awaiting a breakdown of what these amendments mean. The media is reporting it as a win, but providing no details. Might be wishful thinking, but it feels a bit like zucci told them how it needs to be and the government said yes because they know they can't win an election without bookface

...however it went down, we all lose. I bet I'll have to see Andrew bolts smug ass face in my feed again from time to time. No-one needs that kind of aggrivation in their lives.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I figured I'd make a point of actually bothering to block content I don't like now. I've had a taste of the good life, and I'm done with seeing "news" popping up on my feed of MTB trading groups and hilarious memes.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
With this new legislation, is it then possible for Google to say to e.g. News Corp, "I'm not going to show any of your stuff on Google News or search, thus I'm not paying you a single cent"?

I'm happy Google is staying in Aus. I really can't see myself using Bing or DuckDuckGo for both work and life.