Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Erm... the 2012-2014 ones? Sorry I don't know the model iteration, or what years that shape was produced.
Same gen as the 6R Polo Hifi has then. Skodas are usually a touch bigger than the VW counterparts - e.g. I've got a MkIII Octavia RS wagon that's a bit longer and wider than the Golf wagon, and the new Fabia that's about to come out is about the size of an old Mk4 Golf. Interior wise, my old Polo (9N3 - predecessor to Hifi's) was comfy and spacious enough even in three door guise for carrying bikes and shit though the roof racks played a big part. Could carry adult passengers relatively comfortably but not for long. Was an absolute go-kart though :D What are you carrying?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Same gen as the 6R Polo Hifi has then. Skodas are usually a touch bigger than the VW counterparts - e.g. I've got a MkIII Octavia RS wagon that's a bit longer and wider than the Golf wagon, and the new Fabia that's about to come out is about the size of an old Mk4 Golf. Interior wise, my old Polo (9N3 - predecessor to Hifi's) was comfy and spacious enough even in three door guise for carrying bikes and shit though the roof racks played a big part. Could carry adult passengers relatively comfortably but not for long. Was an absolute go-kart though :D What are you carrying?
I thought that was the case. I was looking at Octavias closely but ultimately they just looked a bit too big for what I thought was Golf sized. Is the Mk III Octavia the current one? Good looking bus if it is.

Will definitely be using Thule's finest or sea suckers but I'd like the option of chucking one of my oversized bikes in the car occasionally if travelling solo, so it's nice to know that's an option.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I thought that was the case. I was looking at Octavias closely but ultimately they just looked a bit too big for what I thought was Golf sized. Is the Mk III Octavia the current one? Good looking bus if it is.

Will definitely be using Thule's finest or sea suckers but I'd like the option of chucking one of my oversized bikes in the car occasionally if travelling solo, so it's nice to know that's an option.
Current-ish, 2021 is the start of MkIV and mine is pre-facelift (2016). I wanted a wagon for bikes/dog/driving holidays etc but also wanted something a bit fun and didn't have the $$ for the R, and VW doesn't do a GTi-spec wagon.

You'll fit a bike in the back with the seats down but it's definitely a wheel off and squeeze it in affair. What spec are you looking at? Don't have any experience with the T/S 1.4 engine but @hifiandmtb might have some insight?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
What spec are you looking at?
Honestly I'm vacillating on this more than I normally do on my next bike (so a bit then). Ideally I want something Golfish sized because inner city Melbourne is not car friendly, but it's never going to be used for commuting so I should probably let that go a bit. I can't afford an R (otherwise I'd buy one in a nanosecond) and I'm keeping a pretty tight reign on the budget because I've already got one hobby that eats all of my money.

Skodas either the Octavia RS - the previous gen to yours 2011 to 2013 models (the 147s with the 2 litre turbos) or the Fabia RS (currently all of 5 on Carsales so I might be waiting a bit).

Alternatively, I might just buy a miley Gen IV Liberty R Spec B because I've always wanted one, they still look great, are bloody light for what they are and with the 3 litre flat six are basically a Porsche (in my mind).

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Been there done that with Subies. Still miss mine (2.5i n/a).

View attachment 372709

Phenomenal handling car, especially with Billies, re-set OEM springs, every poly bush possible & Falken RT615s. Have driven dozens of other Gen4s, none handled like mine.
Approved. My mum has still got her Gen IV 2.5. 11 years old. 70,000kms. Maybe I should just offer to buy that. It's a sedan though.

I've heard the Bilsteins do some pretty rad things to the handling of these things. Just missed a Spec B 3.0R wagon with 130,000km in NSW go for less than $10k. In gunmetal grey too. ****.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
And in today's episode of "if it flies, floats, fucks or drives, lease it don't buy it" I've discovered she has a failed fuel pump. I hate dealing with open fuel tanks. while replacing the fuel filter, I left a line off and ran the pump off a battery. She fails to deliver. maybe she needs a blue pill

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Boring question time but @hifiandmtb what's the Polo's interior space like? I'm kinda looking at Fabia RS's which are a) almost the same thing and b) look a bit pacey. Plus I like the anti-wank factor of Skodas.
Fabias come in a wagon version. They tend to be one generation platform behind the same model year Polo though.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Finally a photo of this car @link1896. And what a fine photo it is!

Those axle stands look as reliable as a Yeti's structural integrity.
I never actually got under it. Arms only. Couldn’t start her, so had to work where she was. Axle stands were on the transition between bitumen and concrete. Wood under outer edges of stand bases. I’m keen to make something a whole lot better for stands.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Went to look at a car for my poor friend who has had instructions to buy an SUV. He is very bummed about it... He quite likes the i30 wagon they currently have...

Forester, 10 months old. Owner knew it needed a service at 12 months, but didn't know about the "or 12500 kms whichever comes first" bit. So still running factory oil at 19500kms... Engine will probably be ok, its a lot of highway work to rack up that many kms in 10months. But will want it in writing from the dealer that the warranty is good! And a lowball offer accepted....

Calvin27

Eats Squid
E65 has a 2 buck O-Ring between block and alternator that’s a 20-30 hour job to replace.
I think a lot of my mates were into beemers around the time these started leaking. Half chucked a potion of sop laeks of some cobination and flogged their cars, others coughed up only to have other leaks. Who the hell tried to run oil via a bloody alternator bracket lol!?>!