Electric Vehicles etc

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Hope I can afford one of these I like it:
I got the 2020 ioniq model. Had it for 8 months, and it's a very good car. Didn't regret buying it. I certainly do not miss driving my previous ICE car. The boot is big enough to fit 3 bikes. Just take the front wheel off.

You can get a towball to tow stuff, but your range will suffer. It'll be 50% less I reckon.

Had taken it interstate few times. Just need to make sure to plan ahead before any trip, and if the range is say 330km (like mine), make sure you know where to charge every 250-300km or so. Charging doesn't take too long with those fast chargers. Just sip a coffee while it charges and you are good to go.

On separate topic...

I don't think it'll go ahead, given the lack of support from any govt, but maybe i'm too pessimistic?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Interesting, but that top speed is a deal breaker surely, at least for anywhere outside a retirement village or holiday resort. Kids on bmxs will pass you down any half serious incline
For European urban areas, it’s just fine.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Imagine bogans coming to grips with and Australian electric car.

Torn between Aussie pride and the loss of a petrol V8 and becoming green :D

On separate topic...

I don't think it'll go ahead, given the lack of support from any govt, but maybe i'm too pessimistic?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Imagine bogans coming to grips with and Australian electric car.

Torn between Aussie pride and the loss of a petrol V8 and becoming green :D
Yeh mayte the gummint is gonna take ya Hilux - or whatever bullshit the Coalition was peddling pre the last election about electric cars.

Seriously though, why is that Tesla Cybertruck thing the only serious electric pick up that's on the radar? An electric pick up would sell like hotcakes given its torque characteristics and that at least one market (the USA) is obsessed with them, arguably two if you include us.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yeh mayte the gummint is gonna take ya Hilux - or whatever bullshit the Coalition was peddling pre the last election about electric cars.

Seriously though, why is that Tesla Cybertruck thing the only serious electric pick up that's on the radar? An electric pick up would sell like hotcakes given its torque characteristics and that at least one market (the USA) is obsessed with them, arguably two if you include us.
Its not - Rivian, F150, Bollinger etc.

Stredda

Its not - Rivian, F150, Bollinger etc.
Yeah, there are quite a few coming online around 2022.

I would prefer a cheaper more basic electric AWD ute or wagon, with just some basic mod cons like aircon, power steering, windows and mirrors and maybe reversing cameras and bluetooth. The stuff coming are all $70K plus :eek: I don't need selfdriving or electric tailgates and the like.

I'm sure cheaper options will happen over time. At least the Cybertruck RWD option is about $56k.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Just make one model the bogun. It comes with a mega stereo preloaded with the sounds from 100 different V8 supershit cars.
This! and EV will sell like hotcakes. EV also accelerates much much quicker than normal ICE cars, Boguns will love them, overtaking folks on traffic lights!

gippyz

Likes Dirt

On cybertruck, I put a deposit in when Tesla offered it, and mates all said it's the ugliest thing one can ever make, and said i'm mad. Lol heck I care. The damn thing is so meaty, powerful, long lasting, and huge, and i don't give a shit what it looks like.

I actually like how it looks...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
On cybertruck, I put a deposit in when Tesla offered it, and mates all said it's the ugliest thing one can ever make, and said i'm mad. Lol heck I care. The damn thing is so meaty, powerful, long lasting, and huge, and i don't give a shit what it looks like.

I actually like how it looks...
Is this like Kickstarter?

Stredda

Oh yeah, hypocrisy at it's best.
GM killed it's own electric car years ago. They only built the car because of the looming Californian emissions mandate, then canned it as they (and the other US car makers) managed to get the mandate thrown out. Only getting back into EVs now because the likes of Tesla is really making a mark and Biden won the last election.

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Oh yeah, hypocrisy at it's best.
GM killed it's own electric car years ago, only built the car because of the looming Californian emissions mandate, then canned it as they (and the other US car makers) managed to get the mandate thrown out. Only getting back into EVs now because the likes of Tesla is really making a mark and Biden won the last election.
This is the main reason I am a Tesla fan, no other company has done pure electric or even comitted properly to change. It just sucks that they don't do a stainless folded cyber car that's cheap

Part of the GM story also involved oil companies buying the patent on the battery tech they used.

Here's the full story, for $3.99, worth watching if you have an interest in EV's.