mid travel 29er suggestions

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I'd argue it is probably 121mm ;)

EDIT: Or perhaps scottys are off by 1mm...
I would too but there a wee lip on the lockring, its 120mm flat or 121mm with the ruler up off the lip.

EDIT: Curiosity got the better of me and it was still sitting on the bench down in the garage.

That 1mm lip is actually a rubber O-ring, so jam that ruler hard down and the O-ring deforms it to make grant total of 121mm :D

Last edited:

Scotty675

Cable thief
The Q factor on the spec sheet would be the easiest way to work it out. I probably made that harder than it needed to be. Is to do with the spacer (8130 cranks have 4.5mm spacers). As shimano are a direct mount chainring and can’t be flipped like race face ones(also fixed spindle sizes) the offset is done with spacers. BB can be shimmed a little if needed (depending on bb and frame)

ozzybmx

I'm taking a bit of a gamble on it not mattering so much for me but it may end up more critical.

My chain will come off the idler onto the chainring 3mm out of whack as the manufacturer specifies 52mm chainline.

Its either going to work or I'll have to make minor adjustments... all failing... M8100.

Will find out in about a week.

Scotty675

Cable thief
I'm taking a bit of a gamble on it not mattering so much for me but it may end up more critical.

My chain will come off the idler onto the chainring 3mm out of whack as the manufacturer specifies 52mm chainline.

Its either going to work or I'll have to make minor adjustments... all failing... M8100.

View attachment 372660
If it’s not going to work I’ll work a trade for mt900 if you like. I bought a couple of sets

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Given it's on the drive side, might put stress on the idler bearings. But maybe not immediately apparent? Guess you'll have to eyeball it.

Banshee also responded to my email.
They said 52mm chainline, and sent me this link https://www.alltricks.com/surl/what-is-boost Also said 55 may work fine, except maybe chain falling down when backpedalling in lowest gears.
So I'm going with 7100 cranks.

Last edited:

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Some cassettes and chains do it more. That article also had 49mm as the 'best' chainline for 142 rear spacing (prob your 10sp). But you can see it lines up with the 6th sprocket down. So it's always a compromise.

Ordered the 7100 cranks in the pushys 12% off the other night. Along with some 12sp chains, and a 51t cassette.

Forgot to order a shimano dm chainring tool though. Didn't account for that being different again. So used to the raceface stuff which uses an old isis slipned bb tool for it's lockrings.

Minlak

custom titis
Some cassettes and chains do it more. That article also had 49mm as the 'best' chainline for 142 rear spacing (prob your 10sp). But you can see it lines up with the 6th sprocket down. So it's always a compromise.

Ordered the 7100 cranks in the pushys 12% off the other night. Along with some 12sp chains, and a 51t cassette.

Forgot to order a shimano dm chainring tool though. Didn't account for that being different again. So used to the raceface stuff which uses an old isis slipned bb tool for it's lockrings.
There is a Shimano direct mount chainring tool? - mmmmmm guess I never ordered it either

ozzybmx

There is a Shimano direct mount chainring tool? - mmmmmm guess I never ordered it either
Yeah. Bastards. It's like one and a half hobos too!
Fear not, it is in the box with your crank.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
What's happened to Whyte? The T-130 was trail bike of the year etc etc a few years back, they're still making nice looking bikes, but no chatter around them?

ozzybmx

Actually, after posting this picture, it got me thinking :rolleyes:

When you have bought a Shimano BB in the last few years, it comes with a plastic reducer ring to fit the larger older style Shimano BB tools.

This tool does both new Shimano external BB's and direct mount chainrings.

ozzybmx

Bless you good sir, was just about to order that with mtb's freeship, it would seem I can save that money for 2 pints tonight..
No, bless you kind sir for reminding me I was having dry Feb.

Just dawned on me that there are only 28 days this month and the 26th is close enough :p

Scotty T

Walks the walk
A mate is looking to upgrade from his 2010 Stumpjumper to a mid travel 29, he loves my SC bike and was keen on the Hightower. I sent the link to the Ripmo AF, and he was like "Ibis, lol seriously?" and I'm like "Serious AF" :D

It's an absolute contender and looks like one of the best value bikes out there ATM. My mates 2016 Mojo has been very reliable, he's 105kg and breaks rear wheels like they're pretzels.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Even though I bought a banshee, I sold a mate on a Ripmo AF. He's now got one on order. But apparently they arrived in the country with no DVO forks or shimano shifters.
Perfect, you’ll be able to give us a comparison!

ozzybmx

Even though I bought a banshee, I sold a mate on a Ripmo AF. He's now got one on order. But apparently they arrived in the country with no DVO forks or shimano shifters.
I was told this a few days back, that new bikes are arriving with parts missing :oops:

Bike shops are snooping around for parts to complete bikes for customers.

Never heard it was big items like forks but the bloke that told me is in the know and shifters and derailleur were the items he mentioned.