Mud Guard & Manitou Fork

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
We just bought our son he's first MTB and I haven't hit a trail for like 8 yrs, so not up to speed with all the new bits n pieces. Anywhoo, I want to put a mudguard on my son's bike but he has a Manitou fork with the arch on da back. Just wondering people's experiences of putting a mudguard on one of these? Do you just put it on the same, run it backwards, etc etc. The wheels are 24 in. Thanks.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Is it a J unit fork? If so it should come with a bolt on mudguard. If it didn’t contact the bike shop and ask for it. Unless you bought second hand then can look to buy one or just run a zip tie mudguard either buy the specific one for manitou (holes in different spot for rear arch) or mod the holes on a normal guard.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
We just bought our son he's first MTB and I haven't hit a trail for like 8 yrs, so not up to speed with all the new bits n pieces. Anywhoo, I want to put a mudguard on my son's bike but he has a Manitou fork with the arch on da back. Just wondering people's experiences of putting a mudguard on one of these? Do you just put it on the same, run it backwards, etc etc. The wheels are 24 in. Thanks.
Havent done it but just fit up a mudguard and see where the arch goes and puch new holes?

Beaten by flow by less than 60 seconds!

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
The fork is one of these 'Manitou J-Unit 24'. Didn't come with mudguard, maybe because it's 24in. Maybe I'll ask if it's an option with the shop.

I did think of punching new holes but was worried about crud coming through the old hole, guess I could tape over them.

Thanks for the replies.

shiny

treble

Likes Dirt
I noticed this too when I went to throw a marsh guard on mine the other day. Haven’t put extra holes in yet through.
Can someone explain the brake cable routing on these reverse arch forks? There are two tie points. On the back of the leg and on the back of the arch pointing toward the right hand lever.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I noticed this too when I went to throw a marsh guard on mine the other day. Haven’t put extra holes in yet through.
Can someone explain the brake cable routing on these reverse arch forks? There are two tie points. On the back of the leg and on the back of the arch pointing toward the right hand lever.
Been a long time since I had a Manitou and that was a materials handler...

shiny

Can mount brake cable like a normal front arch fork or down the back of the fork. Good photo here of rear arch routing if you scroll down but they are running front brake on left.

https://nsmb.com/articles/manitou-mezzer-pro-suspension-fork-ridden/

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A friend recently bought a “marsh” style guard that was made for reverse arch forks by accident. I’ll try and find out which brand. Essentially it just had holes further back. He put a sticker over the holes and punched some new ones in the correct spot for a forward arch forks. Seems to be working without issue.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Lol 8years ... good reason to start pedalling again, whilst you can still keep up with him lolololz. Is he still a bit crazy on the bike? :p I got knee pads too if ya need an update.
Is number 1 daughter into pedalling ? Or lost interest, like mine ???

Anyway as above, we have the Mucky Reverses in stock ... only in black though. Ping me your address and I’ll send one over.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Lol 8years ... good reason to start pedalling again, whilst you can still keep up with him lolololz. Is he still a bit crazy on the bike? :p I got knee pads too if ya need an update.
Is number 1 daughter into pedalling ? Or lost interest, like mine ???

Anyway as above, we have the Mucky Reverses in stock ... only in black though. Ping me your address and I’ll send one over.
LOL.... Time flys when you combine netflix and beer ;) So when did it change so you can't do everything with a 5mm wrench... farrk!!! Little tacker's bike is like .5 degrees steeper than my DH rig.. WOT DA??? Gotta get my head round all this new gizmo shite lol.

Daughter chucked in the towel 3 yrs ago when she got all scared from not crashing. I'm trying to persuade her to start again..... only prob is when you have 2 kids it doesn't leave much left for new bike for dad. And dad NEEDS A NEW BIKE!!! lol.

With regards to the mudguard, do they make a full size reverse one?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
LOL.... Time flys when you combine netflix and beer ;) So when did it change so you can't do everything with a 5mm wrench... farrk!!! Little tacker's bike is like .5 degrees steeper than my DH rig.. WOT DA??? Gotta get my head round all this new gizmo shite lol.

Daughter chucked in the towel 3 yrs ago when she got all scared from not crashing. I'm trying to persuade her to start again..... only prob is when you have 2 kids it doesn't leave much left for new bike for dad. And dad NEEDS A NEW BIKE!!! lol.

With regards to the mudguard, do they make a full size reverse one?
I put a Mucky Nutz Mugguard on my Mattoc, just cut new holes and taped over the pre cut ones. Works a treat.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
As per BKs comment ^ only real difference between standard and reverse is the slot position for the Velcro strips ... just rear of centre for the reverse and a couple Cm from the tail on standard. For the Rigid fenders (long or short) you can melt or cut in slots.

My install procedure.
  • Line up fender (All types)
  • secure legs so fender is at correct ride height and width to remove tire rub ... whilst resting on the fork arch
  • Mark ideal slot position if needed.
  • get the wife's best butter knife (optional) or largest flat head screwdriver in the shed ... heat it up and create some slots. smaller zip ties and philips head or nail works a treat as well for arch security.