mid travel 29er suggestions

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I'm at surprised as you re the forks. Sounds like at the moment, even the distros are all 'beggars can't be choosers'.

damo666

Likes Dirt
A mate is looking to upgrade from his 2010 Stumpjumper to a mid travel 29, he loves my SC bike and was keen on the Hightower. I sent the link to the Ripmo AF, and he was like "Ibis, lol seriously?" and I'm like "Serious AF" :D

It's an absolute contender and looks like one of the best value bikes out there ATM. My mates 2016 Mojo has been very reliable, he's 105kg and breaks rear wheels like they're pretzels.
Had my first ride on my Ripmo AF last week - absolutely destroys my previous bike both up and down Stromlo, and that was twice the price (Hightower LT, CC carbon).

Your mate is nuts if he doesn't go for it.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The new Trail Pistol now has a carbon rear end.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Question for banshee owners @Wake Jake @The Reverend others?

Anyone running a 203mm rear rotor? I can't figure out what IS adapter I need to buy for 203? Is it the 63mm hope IS adapter?
I'm running a 203 rotor on the back of my Titan using one of these

dirtdad

Thanks all. Still a bit confused, but more info is good.

You're after IS to PM yeah?
Yep. Just not sure if the dropout is 140 (so plus 63mm), or 160 (so only plus 43mm).

Hope seem to do a G adapter. Not sure what else works? Or even if the hope one works on v3? Assume this wouldn't have changed between the models...

I recently updated to a 203mm. From memory it's +43 IS adapter
Do you remember the name of the one you used or bought?

I'm running a 203 rotor on the back of my Titan using one of these

This looks promising, but I can't find it anywhere except ebay with $44 postage on top of the $22 adapter?

dirtdad

Nope. That's a front IS mount. But the more I look, the more I'm starting to think that all of the rear IS mounts should be fine.

Just been confused with some places that seem to say they are 160mm - 203mm rear adapter. Then I look up IS mounts and they seem to say they're 140mm at the rear?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
We’ve got Rascals (T1000 and Sedona ) Rangers (Jonny Green Jeans and De la Coal) and Rails (Mint Choc, Tang and Tux Penguin Black) in all sizes and most colour combinations.
I think small is about the only one we are missing some colours in

New LYB purple Rascal lands approx May - TBC

we’ve also got XT, GX, XO1, Deore and SLX builds as well as Pikes, Lyriks, SIDS (mainly Ultimates but some selects) and a couple other Marzocchi and Fox alternatives. Not all on the website so worth pinging
sales (at) offroadbikeonline.com.au

Currently running a secret menu deal of Yep for $550 with a frame or complete. You definitely want to try a demo bike with a Yep.

We’ve also got a stash of EXAForm 900i and 860i ... nearest equivalent to a RAGEi...
860i has a suspension function ... HT riders will love them. But has also saved my goolies a couple times.

Revel demo bikes are a little backed up with bookings but I reckon your nuts buying shizzle without throwing a leg over. But that’s me.

good luck with your purchase can’t really go wrong these days, so much choice and some real awesome rigs out there.
Just a matter of stock lololz. Good being a hoarder at times.

dirtdad

This was Banshees reply to an email. But no recommendation on an actual mount to use.

We use IS brake mounts so you have the ability to use 140-220mm rotors. So if you want to use a 203mm rotor you will need a +60 IS brake mount, for 180mm a +40 IS brake mount.
This is the R160-203 mount stuff that's got me confused... see last one on shimano. https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/shimano-is-frame-or-fork-to-post-caliper-brake-mount
And last one (G) on Hope https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/hope-is-frame-or-fork-to-post-caliper-brake-mount
Maybe it's actually mtbdirect who are confused...

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This was Banshees reply to an email. But no recommendation on an actual mount to use.

This is the R160-203 mount stuff that's got me confused... see last one on shimano. https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/shimano-is-frame-or-fork-to-post-caliper-brake-mount
And last one (G) on Hope https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/hope-is-frame-or-fork-to-post-caliper-brake-mount
Maybe it's actually mtbdirect who are confused...
Looks like MTBD is confused. Their pictures don’t match the item correctly. I have a 180mm on the rear of my V2 Prime which is IS bolt up. I’m using a Shimano SM-MA-R180P/S

For a 203mm rear you’ll want SM-MA-R203P/S. I googled that part number and several came up.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nope. That's a front IS mount. But the more I look, the more I'm starting to think that all of the rear IS mounts should be fine.

Just been confused with some places that seem to say they are 160mm - 203mm rear adapter. Then I look up IS mounts and they seem to say they're 140mm at the rear?
This one you linked at BikeBug is correct R203p/s

From my understanding, the PM to PM mounts work in +20, +40 etc because they can be run without a mount at a given minimum rotor size. The IS system does not work this way as you need a mount for all rotors, so there is no minimum rotor size and the holes are always in the same location for all forks or frames, hence the name International Standard. IS mounts should specify front or rear and rotor size. PM can be used front or rear so should just specify +20 etc but most say 160-180 or 160-203 so the average punter doesn’t get confused.

Last edited:

dirtdad

Cheers @blacksp20 that helps. Ordered mounts now.

Heard from distro that new frames are still a couple of weeks out. So just hanging out with boxes of parts for a while longer.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Jumping on this one as it fits my narrative.
The Minister for War and Finance has given approval for some new bike spending, provided I put some cash on the mortgage
I've decided to go the FS route and have a boner for the Banshees. I was looking at a Phantom but on chatting with the dealer here in Perth think that a Prime would be a better allrounder and be generally more forgiving - he described the Phantom as the DHers XC bike - competent in the right hands and needs someone who can handle it. Thats not me, I want something a bit more forgiving.
I also had a look at the Ripley AF but they're not available frame only and think a Ripmo would be a better bet but honestly I don't like the aesthetics as much.
Will be building up with a 12s Deore gruppo, Bomber Z2s jacked up in travel a bit (currently at 120mm) and the rest of the bits off my HT (which will be put back to stock and sold).
Without going back through the thread again, any other options I need to reconsider?