LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
True, but like @ozzybmx says, expensive. The new MJ906s is 4500 lumen (apparently) but comes with a 10aH battery. 17hrs on 1800 lumen is pretty attractive...
From what I have read -

Dont be put off by the MJ906B only having 3200lms, its the exact same light.

Magicshine initially put 5 x 1000lm LEDs in the MJ906 and labelled it 5000lm, in reality it has been reviewed and tested at being ~3200lms, that's why the newer MJ906B bluetooth version is labelled 3200lm.

The other difference is the 5.2ah battery, the original MJ906 has a 7ah battery.

The MJ906s looks to be still in stock at bicyclesonline.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
From what I have read -

Dont be put off by the MJ906B only having 3200lms, its the exact same light.

Magicshine initially put 5 x 1000lm LEDs in the MJ906 and labelled it 5000lm, in reality it has been reviewed and tested at being ~3200lms, that's why the newer MJ906B bluetooth version is labelled 3200lm.

The other difference is the 5.2ah battery, the original MJ906 has a 7ah battery.

The MJ906s looks to be still in stock at bicyclesonline.

Shit no, don't get me wrong, the 906/ 906B would be plenty of light. The reviews I read said the beam wasn't very wide but after seeing your photo I'm not sure how they thought that. A very nice set up. I was actually thinking of 906s as a 24hr light. So with 10hrs (not 17 :rolleyes:) at 1800 lumen that's pretty much a whole night with no changeovers. Assuming it's a true 1800 lumen...

Last edited:

ozzybmx

And off-centre.......

@ozzybmx what do the plugs look like? In pretty sure they're compatible with the Gen 1 Gloworms
Yes standard 2.1 plugs, the lights work off my Duos batteries.

so gosh damn ugly though
Was talking to Goggles at the DW, he had just bought one, I was giving it a look over. His was a 902s but it looks exactly the same as the 906s.

To be honest, they look better than older version MJ906 I bought.

They are not winning any prizes at beauty contest but the shit looking heatsink looks like it will work very well.

Reminds me of an aliens head.

ozzybmx

Only overtaken in the butt ugly dept by Specialized :p

Yet again, resembling an aliens head... ET.

The moral of the story is, Alien heads are cool unless your bicycle light looks like one.

DMan

Yes standard 2.1 plugs, the lights work off my Duos batteries.

Was talking to Goggles at the DW, he had just bought one, I was giving it a look over. His was a 902s but it looks exactly the same as the 906s.

To be honest, they look better than older version MJ906 I bought.

They are not winning any prizes at beauty contest but the shit looking heatsink looks like it will work very well.

Reminds me of an aliens head.

View attachment 374923

View attachment 374924
Which just makes them cooler...

ozzybmx

Here's a few more from the first ride tonight.

I reckon with a better use of reflectors they could have concentrated more light down low, this light throws a lot of light about but it wastes a lot lighting 25m in the air when the light is aimed low.

Forget about this light if you are wanting to use it on a roadie as well as your MTB, you will blind oncoming vehicles as there is too much light aimed high, it would be a pain with oncoming traffic, decent on the trails or wherever there are no vehicles.

I ran it on full power for 94 minutes, the battery monitor on the pack still reckons there is half a battery pack left. Also the ugly cooling fins do a great job, my Duo would have been cycling hi-low on the climbs on a typical night like tonight, this ran full power for over 90 minutes with no issues.

Last edited:

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone have a recommendation for a nice bright fill light with a wider that normal beam? Above doesn't look too bad, but would like slightly wider if possible?

Thinking I might just shell out for a Gloworm

ozzybmx

With lights, just keep throwing cash in and you will get what you want eventually. Loads of good reviews out there.

Lights are one of the very few bike related items where I don't care as long as they do the job I want.

Would be nice to run full Exposure, Gloworm, Lupine and the likes but compatibility between mine and the boys is paramount.... especially now there is talk of 24 Solo and Everesting.

DMan

Anyone have a recommendation for a nice bright fill light with a wider that normal beam? Above doesn't look too bad, but would like slightly wider if possible?

Thinking I might just shell out for a Gloworm
Fuck dude, how much wider do you need than that Magic Shine of @ozzybmx?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
One thing I do like with the Glowworms is the ability to change the lenses in lights. I setup my 3-LED bar light with two flood beams and a diffuse spot for a mostly spread beam but with a touch more depth to it, and the helmet 2-LED light with diffuse spots for better projection, but with a little spread (which is handy when you hit a switchback and your helmet light is doing all the work). It's a very good combo.

Personally I just use the extra-low setting while climbing most of the time, the low setting is perfectly adequate for moderate blue trails, and medium is heaps of light. Haven't felt the need to run them on high yet, doubt I will either.

Worth noting, the more you diffuse light, the more it's "power" is lost (as it's the same amount of light spread over a larger area), hence running the larger 3-LED with the flood beam lenses for a good balance of light between bar and helmet.