LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Just got the Magicshine MJ906
Good aren't they - sent back the Duo's and got a second set for the young fella

Yep - lacking light output - esp when paired with the MJ906 - can't say the weight bothered me tho @Oddjob just most places I pointed it the other light pretty much well had covered. The higher light source gave a good contrast tho and helped with tight corners.

For what it's worth I stupidly cooked my first set of batteries from MagicShine (My fault) after only 3 years of use :) I got a battery from battery world with 8 cells that last 3 hours on high beam with the MJ906's. Cost $180 but I don't have to stuff with brightness levels :D

That plug will basically fit any of your ebay knockoff battery packs, but the amp draw is too much for them and they'll cut out pretty quick - I got a few different ones after munting the original battery - thus the "feck this I'm buying a good one" for $180.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I have no idea of the capacity, but my set of AyUps are still working enough for an hour or two after about 14 years. Would probably last longer but haven't tried.
Its the only thing that AyUps have done that was up to date or even in the future.

AFAIK nobody has used LiPo's on a bicycle light, AyUps optics aged back in 2008, they made an attempt to update them in 2012 or 2013... and thats it.

Their awesome batteries are still near on 100% 13yrs later (for me) 14yrs for you.

The updated optics drained more than the old optics but the 6hr endurance battery still get 4hs and the 2 x 3hr batteries still get around 2hrs.

I still use the pencil AyUp on my helmet and have done now since 2008. I wear a dedicated 'night ride' helmet with the light and battery fitted at all times.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Well I now have what I should have just gotten in the first place. The young fella's light turned up, I can 100% confirm that the MJ906 5000 lumens in the same as my 'old' MJ906 3500 lumens :D Only point of difference is the light temp with the newer model having a slightly warmer colour temp. I was reminded that the light doesn't matter in any way shape or form when the young bloke keeps doing wheelies down most of the trails. No wonder the little buggers get good a wheelies with the sheer amount of time they spend on their back wheel.

Jpez

Down on the left!
found a box containing dozens of 220Wh packs of lipos, unprotected samsung 18650's. EVERY DAMNED cell is at 0.4 volts. such a waste.

packs were for cordless vacuum cleaners.
Wether it’s worth it to you or not I have no idea but LiPos can be brought back to life. I’m sure you’re already aware though. Never as reliable or powerful as new but lofe can be had had out of what was once thought a dead lipo.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Wether it’s worth it to you or not I have no idea but LiPos can be brought back to life. I’m sure you’re already aware though. Never as reliable or powerful as new but lofe can be had had out of what was once thought a dead lipo.
Too risky I reckon. They will all come back with vastly different internal resistances, and will discharge at vastly different rates.

I don’t fancy a lipo pack fire with it strapped to a carbon bike or in my camelbak

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
^^^^ This x 100.

Treat your batteries with love and care. Charge and discharge them within their safe parameters. When they are worn out, replace them.

As the cathode and anode get closer over time with tendril growth, the safety margin diminishes. The power they can unleash explosively in a short circuit is not something you want to be near.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Jpez

Down on the left!
Too risky I reckon. They will all come back with vastly different internal resistances, and will discharge at vastly different rates.

I don’t fancy a lipo pack fire with it strapped to a carbon bike or in my camelbak
Fair enough. Hope I wasn’t trying to tell granny how to suck eggs there.
I used to play around with RC stuff and over discharged the odd cell. After bringing it back from the dead I would then only discharge it to a very safe number. Then keep a careful eye on them when charging. Series charging was off the cards. But yes. Not too much of a risk of a lipo going bad in an RC heli in a field compared to one in the backpack or carbon frame!

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
So I have scrolled back a few pages but couldnt directly see any post - but i apologise in advance if it's been well covered.... just hard to find.

What's the latest opinion on the Cleanskin lights? Specifically the new 1800 lumen vs the duo.

I dont think i'll ride in the dark that often.... so considering the Cleanskin approach. I do however ride enduro type riding so definitely need adequate light to make it worthwhile and not kill myself.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
So I have scrolled back a few pages but couldnt directly see any post - but i apologise in advance if it's been well covered.... just hard to find.

What's the latest opinion on the Cleanskin lights? Specifically the new 1800 lumen vs the duo.

I dont think i'll ride in the dark that often.... so considering the Cleanskin approach. I do however ride enduro type riding so definitely need adequate light to make it worthwhile and not kill myself.
What's your budget? $200 or less?

DMan

No set budget... just less is better.

Presume i'd need helmet and handlebar....so the cleanskin options from $70-100 seem like a good pairing.

What do you suggest?
After @ozzybmx posting about his, either a Magicshine 906S or 902S. 4500 lumen or 3000 lumen. $250 or $210 complete from here https://www.baybikeco.com.au/. If you sign up for their updates they give you a $20 voucher.
For my 2c I'd get a good bar light and them decide if you need the helmet light too.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
After @ozzybmx posting about his, either a Magicshine 906S or 902S. 4500 lumen or 3000 lumen. $250 or $210 complete from here https://www.baybikeco.com.au/. If you sign up for their updates they give you a $20 voucher.
For my 2c I'd get a good bar light and them decide if you need the helmet light too.
Depends on how tight and twisty. If I was forced to pick one I'd put it on my helmet.

To be a conscientious road user, I've just swapped to having my little light on the bars and the big set on my helmet. Have to say I'm liking that better

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
+1 on helmet light being the higher priority for enduro type riding (I'm only doing moderate trail ridingand it's sketchy AF trying to ride fast without a helmet light). After all, it the light that points where you're looking.

Bar light only is a pain in fast switchbacks as you can't look "through the corner" and in rocky sections as the light flicks up and down as the bike kicks back and forward.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
You need a helmet light, I have ridden with an AyUp light since 2008, still using it... LiPoly... different league.

Bar lights are paramount, a smaller head mounted light is essential IMO.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When choosing a light pay attention to the light mounts. The glow worm mounts are really good. Especially the bar mount. I run these both bar and helmet and they are plenty of light for me and very compact for a helmet light
https://www.glowormlites.co.nz/product/2018-gloworm-alpha/
A more powerful bar light would be better if you need a wider spread.
I do wonder if too much light takes away from a night ride as I don’t want the bush to seem like day light. I like the sense that you are still riding in the dark and the trails look different.

DMan

Definitely horses for courses. Everyone has a different preference.