LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
100% you need two lights. Because if one suddenly goes out for any reason (battery, cable, light fell off, crash, whatever....) it’s suddenly very, very dark and you’re still on the move.

Plus the other light helps to then troubleshoot the problem. I used to carry a third cheap tiny hand torch in the pack too just in case.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
What's the sort of limit people find for weight on helmet mount?

Cleanskin Unite 1800 is 207g without mount
Cleanskin Unite 1000 is 134g

The DUO (although out of stock) is 77g plus battery.... but then you've got a cable running down to your pocket etc.

I have no idea re lights.... never owned them.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
What's the sort of limit people find for weight on helmet mount?
My night ride helmet has an AyUp and battery mounted, swapping between the small and large battery depending on what I'm riding. My commute can possibly be up to 3hrs return so needs the bigger battery.

Going to test out a Magicshine MJ900 on the helmet at some stage and also mounting the battery on helmet, unsure of the weight of any of the above combos but you can definitely feel it.

I use a Kask Vertigo as a dedicated night helmet with a light permanently mounted, it fits like a glove on my bald head so negates wobble which helps with the extra weight up there.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The DUO (although out of stock) is 77g plus battery.... but then you've got a cable running down to your pocket etc.
Just as an fyi, the Cleanskin Duo battery pack isn't pocket sized/weighted, you'd want a hip or backpack for it.

Bored fucking stupid with the flu, managed to spend 20 mins pulling a few packs apart. I put a call out on the neighbourhood Facebook group for old Dyson batteries. JFC I was swamped.
Laptop batteries are a good bet for 18650 cells too, the older chunkier style ones that is.

ozzybmx

I used a MJ900 on my helmet last night with the battery also mounted on helmet, bloody bright and gives 2.5hr burn at 100%.

My kids are happy with them on their bars too, so I am going to grab 3 more for all our helmets.

All 3 sets came from AliExp... originally I emailed a seller on AliExp who sells the Magicshine lights and also sell expensive$500-$800 LED torches, has good feedback and he guarantees me 100% genuine or money back, so I had nothing to loose, came in the right packaging, lasts more than the expected published burn time. Going to order more tonight.

MJ906 - $165 each https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000855501682.html

MJ900 - $65 each https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002388616310.html

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bored fucking stupid with the flu, managed to spend 20 mins pulling a few packs apart. I put a call out on the neighbourhood Facebook group for old Dyson batteries. JFC I was swamped.

Will have to be some extensive testing using one of these https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lithium...-/362765209468?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

The other good source is power tool batteries. I've had a few of the Milwaukee M18 batteries drop cells, so I strip the old cells out and use those which works quite well. Generally the cells are good quality brand name 18650's, I just test the voltage to ID the dead ones and use the rest in those battery holder jiggers.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I used a MJ900 on my helmet last night with the battery also mounted on helmet, bloody bright and gives 2.5hr burn at 100%.

My kids are happy with them on their bars too, so I am going to grab 3 more for all our helmets.

All 3 sets came from AliExp... originally I emailed a seller on AliExp who sells the Magicshine lights and also sell expensive$500-$800 LED torches, has good feedback and he guarantees me 100% genuine or money back, so I had nothing to loose, came in the right packaging, lasts more than the expected published burn time. Going to order more tonight.

MJ906 - $165 each https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000855501682.html

MJ900 - $65 each https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002388616310.html

View attachment 375808

View attachment 375809
Just checking. The boys run the 900's on their bars and they're enough for single trail?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The other good source is power tool batteries. I've had a few of the Milwaukee M18 batteries drop cells, so I strip the old cells out and use those which works quite well. Generally the cells are good quality brand name 18650's, I just test the voltage to ID the dead ones and use the rest in those battery holder jiggers.
My skyrc charger has a discharge routine, holding the load constant, giving me discharge capacity.

I’m slowly working through all my cells and stickering them with capacities, so I can group them in parallel bunches with their similar mates.

I’m finding every pack I pull apart, there is one dead/weak cell. Parallel charging really is the biggest no no ever with lithium, the packs that run three cells in parallel scare me.

ozzybmx

Just checking. The boys run the 900's on their bars and they're enough for single trail?
They said they are great but they don't analyse stuff like we do. They will be running them on helmet and bars soon.
Currently just on the bars with a lezyne XL1500 on their helmets.

Might try a ride with 900s bar and helmet for my own opinion.

DMan

They said they are great but they don't analyse stuff like we do. They will be running them on helmet and bars soon.
Currently just on the bars with a lezyne XL1500 on their helmets.

Might try a ride with 900s bar and helmet for my own opinion.
Cool. Bloody kids and their lack of fear. I've tried 1000 lumen single led on the bars and it's just not quite enough. The 900s at 1500 is tempting. The 1500 on the bars would have good flood effect though

ozzybmx

Cool. Bloody kids and their lack of fear. I've tried 1000 lumen single led on the bars and it's just not quite enough. The 900s at 1500 is tempting. The 1500 on the bars would have good flood effect though
If you are only buying for yourself, the $165 MJ906 has ridiculous light.
I actually rode all last night ride in Med, didn't realise till I got on the 1km road home and I went to dim it... Boom, up we go to full power.

My 2 don't get the concept of blinding motorists and staring at people's faces while out riding at night. 900s for yous.

DMan

If you are only buying for yourself, the $165 MJ906 has ridiculous light.
I actually rode all last night ride in Med, didn't realise till I got on the 1km road home and I went to dim it...
Even better!

DMan

I just bought a Lezyne 1800i to replace the 1500i that died because we have 2 external 21aH batteries for it. Quite clever. Has Smart Connect. So I can program 1-4 modes at preset lumen levels. I've set up 2 modes. So it's either flat out at 1800 lumens or 600 lumens for flats. No cycling between all the modes including the annoying flashing modes.

ozzybmx

Here's a couple from tonight's ride through Lynton, Tunnel Crossover just as it got dark.

The MJ906 on the bars and MJ900 on the helmet is a winner, I'm stoked with the light throw.

I asked my boys if they wanted MJ906's but they are happy with the 900's.

The 900's run on full power for 110 minutes (1 hour 50 mins not that you needed the maths done) then blackness, both of them turned out within 2 minutes of each other.

Would be nice to have a warning or battery indicator on the Magicshines but thats what you get on mid range lights at near budget prices.

DMan

Here's a couple from tonight's ride through Lynton, Tunnel Crossover just as it got dark.

The MJ906 on the bars and MJ900 on the helmet is a winner, I'm stoked with the light throw.

I asked my boys if they wanted MJ906's but they are happy with the 900's.

The 900's run on full power for 110 minutes (1 hour 50 mins not that you needed the maths done) then blackness, both of them turned out within 2 minutes of each other.

Would be nice to have a warning or battery indicator on the Magicshines but thats what you get on mid range lights at near budget prices.

View attachment 376094

View attachment 376095
Nice. Excellent flood. Next time can you do a 900 just by itself?