Am I a dickhead? Damaged Nomad 4 frame butchering

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So,
Perusing FB yesterday came across a Nomad 4 XL frame, had some damage and subsequent repairs to the front and rear triangle but had been ridden post repairs no problem. I’d been looking for a frame to build up for my brother so he can ride when he is back in town (works in W.A mines)
So......$500 later the frame is mine. Paid an extra $340 for a cascade link to go with it, which was a little high I thought, but I think the frame was a good deal so it evens out.

No idea how bad it’ll look when it turns up, but my (lack of) thinking is to sand it back to raw carbon, maybe attempt silver leaf decals and then a gloss coating over the top. Also take the cascade link back to silver, trim 20-30mm off the seat tube as I’m guessing it’ll be too high to run a decent dropper (183cm rider). I’ve already got some odd parts laying around but I’ll just pick up the remaining used parts as they pop up. Don’t think I’ll bother with a mullet, but not sure yet. Probably run a shorter offset fork.
I had bought a 21 X2 performance to put on the missus Meta AM, but turns out I’ll put it on this haha.

This will probably be a disaster.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
So,
Perusing FB yesterday came across a Nomad 4 XL frame, had some damage and subsequent repairs to the front and rear triangle but had been ridden post repairs no problem. I’d been looking for a frame to build up for my brother so he can ride when he is back in town (works in W.A mines)
So......$500 later the frame is mine. Paid an extra $340 for a cascade link to go with it, which was a little high I thought, but I think the frame was a good deal so it evens out.

No idea how bad it’ll look when it turns up, but my (lack of) thinking is to sand it back to raw carbon, maybe attempt silver leaf decals and then a gloss coating over the top. Also take the cascade link back to silver, trim 20-30mm off the seat tube as I’m guessing it’ll be too high to run a decent dropper (183cm rider). I’ve already got some odd parts laying around but I’ll just pick up the remaining used parts as they pop up. Don’t think I’ll bother with a mullet, but not sure yet. Probably run a shorter offset fork.
I had bought a 21 X2 performance to put on the missus Meta AM, but turns out I’ll put it on this haha.

This will probably be a disaster.

View attachment 377099
Dang…that was my mate Petri’s ( @Moodge1 )

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
trim 20-30mm off the seat tube
Looks great !

Make sure you have a seat clamp that fits, I reckon the collar seat is receded into the carbon frame and you will need a bigger diameter clamp if you cut it.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks great !

Make sure you have a seat clamp that fits, I reckon the collar seat is receded into the carbon frame and you will need a bigger diameter clamp if you cut it.
Yeah, I can’t remember what the setup is on the N4, I had one a few years ago. I think maybe it was just the painting thickness and not recessed into the frame....but can’t be sure (till I get it)

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I saw this too and thought it was a cracker option if only it wasn't XL. Nice job, it'll be an awesome and I'd have plenty of confidence in rocking it.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
If the frame has been professionally repaired, I'd probably leave it alone.

Sanding it back shouldn't be a major issue if you don't go through the sealing layer on the carbon, but the solvents in paint can (in theory) weaken the resin, you won't know until it's too late if it does happen though.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I saw this too and thought it was a cracker option if only it wasn't XL. Nice job, it'll be an awesome and I'd have plenty of confidence in rocking it.
Yeah, I usually rock an large, but for $500 I figured you can’t go wrong. Trimming down the seat post should fix the biggest issue and I’ll pop a 32mm stem on and 770 bars to hopefully make it feel not to stretched out. Some shorter offset forks might help make feel a bit more nimble.....time will tell.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sanding it down would also give you some clues to the nature of the original damage and possibly the quality of the repairs. You would need to clear coat it with something afterwards though.
Yeah. This is some extra motivation sand the paint off :)