COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Are there any stats for people suffering long Covid? Deaths alone aren't really a good indication of the severity of this disease as we seem to suffer so few of them.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
My personal view is people should stop being fucking sooks, harden the fuck up and give it a shot (pardon the pun) after all, adverse, fatal reactions happen with almost every drug. What I really don't get however is people I know who were quite happy to double-drop pingers from a completely unknown source at Summadayz or Rainbow Serpent are now getting their knickers in a twist over a benign jab in the arm.

Also, the whole Astra-Zeneca clotting issue reminds me of the big Deep Vein Thrombosis scare when everyone was panicking about long haul flights. A couple of scare stories in the paper and all of a sudden cunts were freaking out about flying from Melbourne to Sydney. Thankfully, that scare eventually subsided although I did take away a couple of important points from the medical advice at the time - blood clots can be avoided by getting up and moving around and drugs with an anti-coagulating side-effect such as aspirin or alcohol can help mitigate against said clotting.

With that in mind, if you're still worried about clots after the AZ job, I say follow the advice of VIC Premier Dan Andrews and "Get on the beers!"
Yeah but did those pinger poppers ever shoot heroin? Or have they been offered the vaccine in suppository form? Perhaps administered by Tony-A bott!!!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Also, the whole Astra-Zeneca clotting issue reminds me of the big Deep Vein Thrombosis scare when everyone was panicking about long haul flights. A couple of scare stories in the paper and all of a sudden cunts were freaking out about flying from Melbourne to Sydney.
That would have been awesome! Wish that was still a thing.

Pre-COVID "normal" was all sorts of fucked up. I am not interested in returning to pre-COVID normal. Hence the articles shared earlier that almost no-one read.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
The problem in Australia is that we have managed to contain relatively small outbreaks without overwhelming our hospitals and health systems. To put it bluntly, there are not enough people dying to make AZ an attractive option to some people.
Sad, but true.

Plus people in general have a terrible understanding of statistics.

I also think the other side of the mentality is a bit of the old trolley problem. They think they have a 1/2m chance of getting a bad outcome - but by choosing to do that.
Vs thinking they are less likely to get covid than the 1/200 (?) stat for Sydney, due to things they can control (staying home, masks, etc). But most importantly, no choice vs some choice. And the existence of a lower risk alternative.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
85% of the Australian population is not fully vaccinated - why do you care about me so much?
I don’t care about your personal choices, I do care that your posts on the vaccine rollout are awfully similar to the “AZ vaccine hesitant” crowd who really are just anti-vaxxers..

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Pre-COVID "normal" was all sorts of fucked up. I am not interested in returning to pre-COVID normal.
I liked it.

Hoping it will get back to as close to the old normal as possible, somehow don't think it ever will though.

Corona-23 is only 18 months away.

nathanm

Eats Squid
My personal view is people should stop being fucking sooks, harden the fuck up and give it a shot (pardon the pun) after all, adverse, fatal reactions happen with almost every drug. What I really don't get however is people I know who were quite happy to double-drop pingers from a completely unknown source at Summadayz or Rainbow Serpent are now getting their knickers in a twist over a benign jab in the arm.

Also, the whole Astra-Zeneca clotting issue reminds me of the big Deep Vein Thrombosis scare when everyone was panicking about long haul flights. A couple of scare stories in the paper and all of a sudden cunts were freaking out about flying from Melbourne to Sydney. Thankfully, that scare eventually subsided although I did take away a couple of important points from the medical advice at the time - blood clots can be avoided by getting up and moving around and drugs with an anti-coagulating side-effect such as aspirin or alcohol can help mitigate against said clotting.

With that in mind, if you're still worried about clots after the AZ job, I say follow the advice of VIC Premier Dan Andrews and "Get on the beers!"
44 year old in Tassie died from Astrazenca blood clots and there are others in hospital as well, not just the reported deaths. I'm the same age and was considering getting the AZ as I can literally pop downstairs from work to get it, would take 5 minutes and wasn't too concerned given they were saying that the risk is 1 in 2 million. However given the 2 latest deaths reports are now saying the risk is actually more like 2 in 1 million.
Absolutely feel for this dudes family. ScoMo said go get the AZ jab it's worth the risk. You reckon his wife and kids and parents are all just sitting at home thinking it was worth it and it doesn't matter he's dead. What makes it worse is we haven't had an infection in over a year and if our government doesn't fuck up like every other one, this should continue?

Absolutely no fucking way I'm getting the AZ jab. Might have be tempted to take the risk if we had cases but by then it's too late anyway so whats the point.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Have a read of the paper if you are interested: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969720322816. Just focus on the intro and discussion if the result section is too much.
Is there a version in english?

Just jesting although not having a science background, I did have a fair bit of trouble following a lot of it.

I'm not doubting the science behind the testing nor the ability of the virus to thrive in effluent but you've got to admit there have been a hell of a lot of cases where COVID-19 has been detected in wastewater with no reported cases before or after. This seems at odds with the reported infection rates etc.

As this paper is relatively old, I'd be interested to know if they can diagnose the particular strains of COVID when it's found in wastewater. Do we know if the COVID detected in Byron Bay's waste water is the Delta variant? Also as it's been established that animals can be rife with coronaviruses, is there the possibility that viral contamination could have come from the introduction of animal faeces into the sewerage system (e.g people flushing pet waste, animals (particularly rodents) shitting in the sewers, well-trained cats using the dunny) ?

Incidentally, I think the existence of the virus in Byron's sewage might provide us with a golden scientific opportunity.

As we know, Byron Bay is Australia's capital when it comes to freaky wellness practices. This means they have an overabundance of quack voodoo clinics offering Colonic Irrigation. The geography of the area also means that it's very easy to seal off from the rest of the country.

I propose we establish a strict cordon around the town, deliberately introduce COVID and then use these clinics to get a closer understanding of the virus' relationship with human waste!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
@moorey Go down this path & I will start calling you a fuckwit for driving your ute around the state so your kids & participate in some bikesportz.

Current advice is that should stop too.

We should be able to have civil discussions here.

moorey

call me Mia
@moorey Go down this path & I will start calling you a fuckwit for driving your ute around the state so your kids & participate in some bikesportz.

Current advice is that should stop too.

We should be able to have civil discussions here.
Sorry, but when was I uncivil about this?
And yes, you're right. I have widely acknowledged that, and other things I do that I know we shouldn't.
Looks like a state of emergency is about to be declared. I genuinely hope your jab of choice becomes available.