What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thanks. but it’s just a really big bunnyhop.
Fart powered? I can't bunny hop for shit at the moment. I've never been great, but tried to pop one the other night and it hurt my shoulders! If I wasn't so lazy I'd do heaps of them every night and rebuild the strength.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
There's nothing wrong with taking the downhill sections slower at first to focus on building your balance, perception/intuition, line selection, skills, and so on rather than just charging and relying on your brake to pull you up. Even 12 pot brakes aren't going to help in that sort of situation. As your confidence grows you'll start riding faster. Lone selection, body position, and knowing when I slow down or accelerate are going to have you feeling balanced on the bike faster than powerful brakes.

Like moorey, I am running xt brakes on all my bikes at the moment. Unlike moorey I weigh about 95kg. I've got a set of hope 4 pot brakes for my currently not functional dh bike. The hope are an awesome brake but I've not felt the xt brakes were too weak for me at any moment in the last 7 (I think) years where they have been my primary brake. I don't often crank big long dh rides and haven't even regularly shuttled a full length dh track for way too long though so I might be out of touch. When this lockdown ends I might be due to ride sawmill and Amazon again...but bare creek is my number 1 location.

On speed, riding with someone else is the best way to push it. I ride alone a lot and coast stuff that I really mash the pedals for when I'm with my friends. There is great value in your buddy rubbing your back tyre shouting "get off the brakes!!!" and "push it!" to remind you to keep it moving.
Luckily there wasn't anyone behind me so I could pull up when it was safe to do so. There were several sections where I could see down the other side so I got off the bike, had a look, backed up and tackled it. The hardest parts were the rollercoasters where they turned 180 degrees and pointed down, followed by a double and another downhill switchback.

Nonetheless I absolutely loved it and can't wait to head up there again with the new fork :)

HamboCairns

After my epic ride yesterday, I have a massive headache and my muscles ache, but not painfully.

I've been taking electrolytes (not lolly water) but still can't shift it. Ibuprofen next methinks.

HamboCairns

Probably more dehydrated….or possibly a coincidence. Sample size too small to say it’s the only cause. If you’re unfit and it’s hot, even 12km might be enough to dehydrate you if you aren’t drinking before, during and after.
I'll keep up the hydration - are those Hydralite tablets effective?

Jpez

Down on the left!
I'll keep up the hydration - are those Hydralite tablets effective?
I’m a slack water drinker until I’m thirsty. But if I know I’ve got a big ride on say a Sunday I’ll keep that in the back of my head and make sure I hydrate PREVIOUS to a ride. Like all the previous day, especially in warm conditions. I find those Hydralites useful for when I feel dehydrated. I usually have a couple pre ride too.
I suffer headaches and feeling shit if I’m dehydrated pretty easily so I pay a lot more attention to it now and I’m better off for it especially during and post ride.

HamboCairns

I’m a slack water drinker until I’m thirsty. But if I know I’ve got a big ride on say a Sunday I’ll keep that in the back of my head and make sure I hydrate PREVIOUS to a ride. Like all the previous day, especially in warm conditions. I find those Hydralites useful for when I feel dehydrated. I usually have a couple pre ride too.
I suffer headaches and feeling shit if I’m dehydrated pretty easily so I pay a lot more attention to it now and I’m better off for it especially during and post ride.
I think I'll grab a tube on the way home.

HamboCairns

Nothing beats pre ride hydration. You may need an overnight piss, but worth it.
It’s really hard to rehydrate, and no quick fix in my experience.
I hadn't planned to push myself so hard but it's a good lesson in staying hydrated every day regardless!

moorey

call me Mia
I hadn't planned to push myself so hard but it's a good lesson in staying hydrated every day regardless!
In your defense, I wouldn’t expect 12km in any conditions to destroy you. If I’d hydrated before, I wouldn’t have bothered with a drink bottle on that ride.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
After my epic ride yesterday, I have a massive headache and my muscles ache, but not painfully.

I've been taking electrolytes (not lolly water) but still can't shift it. Ibuprofen next methinks.
And eat. I can't remember the exact science but effectively after an epic ride your muscles are using the carbohydrates that your brain should be getting to repair themselves.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
And eat. I can't remember the exact science but effectively after an epic ride your muscles are using the carbohydrates that your brain should be getting to repair themselves.
Apparently milk is the most effective for hydration and electrolytes for post sportsing recovery. I'll see if I can find any more info.

Years ago I rode the Golden Triangle with @Plankosaurus. I forgot to drink and eat during the ride and despite drinking 2-3L of water post race, I spewed. I'd left it much too late. In retrospect the moment of realisation was when I nearly crashed into a tree on an easy descent.
Anyway, @Plankosaurus said "you need a choccy milk", so he bought me some. I fucking hate milk, but I drank it anyway and it helped. There you go Planks, another 'see, I was right!' to add to the framed collection!

[Edit] First hit in Googley:

Jpez

Down on the left!
Apparently milk is the most effective for hydration and electrolytes for post sportsing recovery. I'll see if I can find any more info.

Years ago I rode the Golden Triangle with @Plankosaurus. I forgot to drink and eat during the ride and despite drinking 2-3L of water post race, I spewed. I'd left it much too late. In retrospect the moment of realisation was when I nearly crashed into a tree on an easy descent.
Anyway, @Plankosaurus said "you need a choccy milk", so he bought me some. I fucking hate milk, but I drank it anyway and it helped. There you go Planks, another 'see, I was right!' to add to the framed collection!

Golden triangle? Probably all the opium you consumed

HamboCairns

That's interesting, I actually made myself a banana smoothie when I got home. More milk needed!