EWS 2021 fantasy league

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I honestly thought he might have headed home in the break. Not because I don’t think he’s capable of lifting again (or that he doesn’t think he can still get on the podium), but it seemed his heart was with the family back home.
Might just be filling contractual obligations? He definitely sounds like he loved being home and watching his kids race moto and what not.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I honestly thought he might have headed home in the break. Not because I don’t think he’s capable of lifting again (or that he doesn’t think he can still get on the podium), but it seemed his heart was with the family back home.
He did head home for the break as was posting about being in quarantine on his Insta. Think he may wind it down and start doing more ambassador things.

moorey

call me Mia
He did head home for the break as was posting about being in quarantine on his Insta. Think he may wind it down and start doing more ambassador things.
Yeah, after a taste of home I thought he'd stay, rather than face quarantine etc again. Probably correct on the contract points, though I imagine he has a bit of sway with them. He's the best ambassador they could have, but I don't think it helps them if they push him to race when his heart isn't in it. I'm making a lot of assumptions there. His social media suggests hes still hungry and believes he can turn it around.

moorey

call me Mia
Kasper Woolley looks to be getting the results he's been hyped for. Solid.
Yep, great to see. I dumped one of my French failures to put him in my fantasy team. Actually, I dumped 2, and put in another Frenchie....who then failed, and the one I dropped finally did a bit better. I still had a great round......beat the series leader in this round.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yep, great to see. I dumped one of my French failures to put him in my fantasy team. Actually, I dumped 2, and put in another Frenchie....who then failed, and the one I dropped finally did a bit better. I still had a great round......beat the series leader in this round.
Nice one. I have completely given up on actually trying to achieve anything with my fantasy teams, and instead am just sticking blindly with my allegiances to Jack/Isabeau and Troy/Connor regardless. Yes I'm aware Connor didn't even race DH this week but he was still in my team because I'm no quitter.

bobob

Has $20
We have just watched 2-3 hours of Chimps vlog/videos, he needs to shoot the DH runs in 30fps, the detail will never be good on a GoPro at 120fps.

Too much shit coming so fast, will always look like a blur.

@ozzybmx What advantage is to be gained by shooting them at 30fps/why suggest? Why does @chimpy need to do that, I'm sure he would love every advantage you could share...

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Good one @moorey!
Edit: just realised I came equal first for highest score this round globally...do I win anything?

rstim

Likes Dirt
View attachment 379845
Nice result, you got me by 37 so not cutting into the lead by to much. I'm sitting 34th in the world at the moment but still 230 odd points from first.

moorey

call me Mia
Nice result, you got me by 37 so not cutting into the lead by to much. I'm sitting 34th in the world at the moment but still 230 odd points from first.
I’ll never be a threat. Aside from a couple of reliable favorites, I got no idea what I’m doing :p

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
@ozzybmx What advantage is to be gained by shooting them at 30fps/why suggest? Why does @chimpy need to do that, I'm sure he would love every advantage you could share...
@bobob I am definitely not Cinematographer/Videographer but have spent a long time copying and playing with GoPro video settings from a lot of prominent YouTube GoPro gurus.

120pfs is basically kept for slow motion, even 60pfs. The GoPro is an awesome camera but shooting in such a high frame rate in a fast moving scenario causes motion blur, also with changing light situations. Lower frame rate adapts to changing light or darker areas better.

The GoPro simply cant take it in that fast and process it.

24fps is Movie/Cinema speed but 30fps looks so much smoother.

There is lifetime of reading online and as I said, I am no expert. Just a regular hack trying to maximise my GoPro footage.

There is a YouTube Vlogger called the "Loam Ranger", he was a Photographer/Cameraman turned YouTube Bike Vlogger, I trialled about 4-5 different GoPro Vloggers settings last year on the release of the Hero9, the settings I was most impressed with are basically a copy of the Loam Rangers.
He goes into it in great detail and the reasons behind it.

Try these.

RES/FPS : 4K 30
Lens : Superview
Hypersmooth : Boost
Bit Rate : High
Shutter : Auto
EV Comp : -0.5 over cast day (-1 sunny day)
WB : 5500
ISO Min : 100
ISO Max : 3200
Sharpness : MED
Colour : Flat
Raw Audio : High
Wind : Off

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
High frame rates work well when the camera isn’t moving much but capturing a dynamic subject. Think a shot of a rider throwing up a load of loam in a turn taken from beside the trail. In POV footage where the dynamism is coming from the sensation of speed, the shot is more likely to lose a lot of its impact as a result. The occasional moment following another rider or a road gap might make it worthwhile, but as @ozzybmx says, cheap consumer cameras with dinky lenses like a GoPro just can’t capture enough detail at that frame rate.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
120pfs is basically kept for slow motion, even 60pfs. The GoPro is an awesome camera but shooting in such a high frame rate in a fast moving scenario causes motion blur, also with changing light situations. Lower frame rate adapts to changing light or darker areas better.

The GoPro simply cant take it in that fast and process it.

24fps is Movie/Cinema speed but 30fps looks so much smoother.
Nope. Sorry @ozzybmx but that's not right. The higher the frame rate, the shorter the exposure time per frame (or the exposure time can be even shorter still if lighting conditions allow). The shorter the exposure time per frame, the less motion blur you'll experience. Lower frame rates adapt better to low light better because the exposure time per frame can be longer, so the camera doesn't have to resort to using high ISO sensitivities (amplified sensor signals) which would reduce image quality (particularly with any compressed image/video formats). Having longer exposure times per frame reduces digital noise which improves clarity, but increases motion blur.

30fps looks smoother because it's about the limit of what our eyes can perceive in average viewing conditions anyway (ie: sitting on the couch watching Youtube videos - you might be able to process more FPS if the body is in a heightened state of awareness/adrenalin rush), and due to the fact the camera is able to use longer exposures at lower framerates - the smoother it looks thanks to the motion blur in each frame as you go faster. Building on what @Tubbsy alludes too - that's why high framerates often look 'wrong' to the viewer, there's a reduced impression of speed precisely because the appearance motion is reduced.

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
have to resort to using high ISO sensitivities (amplified sensor signals), which reduces image quality (particularly with any compressed image/video formats).
Not a bad summary of GoPro footage in general, haha. Mountain biking is particularly hard on them: a lot trees, bushes and dirt that involve loads of low-contrast detail at high speed. Once compressed in the GoPro the resulting soup can look a little like motion blur at times.

Youtube then does its compression and encoding on top of that, and the murky areas suffer further.

Watching some snow sports POVs the result is very different, they come up beautifully because it’s so much easier on the sensor and encoding.

(nerd)

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Not my analysis, apparently the GoPro isn't powerful enough when shooting in 4k or even 5k. If you have a really good video camera there's no doubt the higher frame rate would be smoother... probably up to 60fps then you wouldn't notice the difference.
I have tried in 24, 30, 50 and 60.
30fps is magic spot as reported by several GoPro Vloggers.