Fork upgrade

Jrok

Likes Dirt
Hi friends, would going from a rockshox recon rl to a fox 34 rhythm in the same travel be a worthy upgrade? It would seem the fox is better spec and i think the recon rl is fairly entry level?

Bike is a polygon siskiu t7 :)

moorey

call me Mia
Hi friends, would going from a rockshox recon rl to a fox 34 rhythm in the same travel be a worthy upgrade? It would seem the fox is better spec and i think the recon rl is fairly entry level?

Bike is a polygon siskiu t7 :)
Recon is basic, but not terrible, in my limited experience with later models. That said, the Fox should be a nicer fork. Is that your only option though? A s/h pike would be better again IMHO.

Jrok

Likes Dirt
Recon is basic, but not terrible, in my limited experience with later models. That said, the Fox should be a nicer fork. Is that your only option though? A s/h pike would be better again IMHO.
Thanks @moorey, not the only option so far, just saw a fairly new pair of fox 34's pop up on marketplace for 500, thought they might be decent. No rush though :)

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Bomber Z2s are comparable to the 34 Rhythm and take the same air shafts, with a simpler damper. Can be had new for around $800
Also, note that Rhythms are OEM only, so you'd by default be buying secondhand.

As @moorey said though, S/H Pike is a decent option.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Thanks @moorey, not the only option so far, just saw a fairly new pair of fox 34's pop up on marketplace for 500, thought they might be decent. No rush though :)
for the money i liked the rhythm -i got them from ze Germans couple yrs ago for 150euro, + post only cost me 250 new - don't know how they came by them, i wish i got more - was a very nice budget fork -even better than a higher fox i tried

problem with recon is you can't upgrade the damper i think - i think RS35 are the same,

i would wait and find a cheaper unit -500 is bit much 2nd hand for the fox, older stuff comes up time to time for 300-350, either fox or RS [fox ive had are as plush or plusher than RS, never tried lyrik, and lucky to use half travel]

buying new fork , then if you come to sell bike won't get money back for new fork -2nd hand better option if in good nick, i did see a revelation on FB marketplace, has upgradeable damper, sometimes yari cheap?? suntour maybe

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
for the money i liked the rhythm -i got them from ze Germans couple yrs ago for 150euro, + post only cost me 250 new - don't know how they came by them, i wish i got more - was a very nice budget fork -even better than a higher fox i tried

problem with recon is you can't upgrade the damper i think - i think RS35 are the same,

i would wait and find a cheaper unit -500 is bit much 2nd hand for the fox, older stuff comes up time to time for 300-350, either fox or RS [fox ive had are as plush or plusher than RS, never tried lyrik, and lucky to use half travel]

buying new fork , then if you come to sell bike won't get money back for new fork -2nd hand better option if in good nick, i did see a revelation on FB marketplace, has upgradeable damper, sometimes yari cheap??
There you have it @Jrok, forget the Rhythm.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
If you want Fox get this

Comes out at $628 with the discount and it's upgradeable to the grip2 I think. I have had the grip damper before and liked it. Full disclosure I have bought one as the price is really good in the COVID climate.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
If you want Fox get this

Comes out at $628 with the discount and it's upgradeable to the grip2 I think. I have had the grip damper before and liked it. Full disclosure I have bought one as the price is really good in the COVID climate.
I'd buy a Rhythm or Z2 over the Performance version. The Rhythm/Z2 are quite a bit stiffer. The standard Grip damper is pretty decent despite being basic too.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I'd buy a Rhythm or Z2 over the Performance version. The Rhythm/Z2 are quite a bit stiffer. The standard Grip damper is pretty decent despite being basic too.
Interesting about the stiffness, is that from personal experience or reviews? I'm looking at putting them on the Waltly as they are almost half a kg lighter than the durolux and I had good experiences with the rhythm I used to have.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
They came from BikeDiscount, had grey OEM Rhythm decals. What a steal they were !
I regret selling the 2 I bought on my boys bikes. Should have fitted the original 120mm RS golds and took the 130mm Rhythms off.
The Grip damper worked nicer than my overdamped factory 36.

I still have a 150mm Rhythm on my Scout HT, works well for a Fox fork... I've never had a single issue with the Grip damper Rhythms. Including non creaking CSUs on the 3 I have owned.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Have a look at Suntour Auron or Durolux.

I just moved from a 140mm Recon Silver to a 140mm Suntour Zeron and it feels a lot better.

beeb

Interesting about the stiffness, is that from personal experience or reviews? I'm looking at putting them on the Waltly as they are almost half a kg lighter than the durolux and I had good experiences with the rhythm I used to have.
Also the reviews I read said it was the same as a factory just black stanchions rather then Kashima.
Yep, I've had a Rhythm 34 and two Factory 34's (and three Factory 36's and a Marz Z1).

The Rhythm / Marzocchi variants are noticeably stiffer (in both 34 and 36mm variants). Like you say, the Performance/Performance Elite/Factory are all the same stanchions, just different colour treatments. The stachions on the Rhythm and Marz 'Z' forks are thicker which aids the stiffness quite a bit, but they also have thicker forgings (not as much machined away) of the CSU . They weigh a bit more but you get added stiffness as a bonus. I wouldn't buy another Performance/Factory spec fork to be honest... Bear in mind that I am a 90-something kg hack though, so lighter riders may find the lighter forks okay.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Yep, I've had a Rhythm 34 and two Factory 34's (and three Factory 36's and a Marz Z1).

The Rhythm / Marzocchi variants are noticeably stiffer (in both 34 and 36mm variants). Like you say, the Performance/Performance Elite/Factory are all the same stanchions, just different colour treatments. The stachions on the Rhythm and Marz 'Z' forks are thicker which aids the stiffness quite a bit, but they also have thicker forgings (not as much machined away) of the CSU . They weigh a bit more but you get added stiffness as a bonus. I wouldn't buy another Performance/Factory spec fork to be honest... Bear in mind that I am a 90-something kg hack though, so lighter riders may find the lighter forks okay.
What about a Fox 36 Performance over a 34 Rythm?

Litenbror

Eats Squid

Thanks @beeb some good food for thought. Will give it a go on the Waltly and if I don't like it, at the price I'm paying, can move it on for minimal loss.

beeb

What about a Fox 36 Performance over a 34 Rythm?
They feel similar, probably a slight win to the 36 - but they were also setup with 20-40mm longer travel which would've made it tougher on them so in the same travel they'd probably be noticeably stiffer. It's worth mentioning the fore-aft fork flex is something I'm a bit OCD about. Most folk don't even notice it.